Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Idle & Slow O2 Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rough Idle & Slow O2 Sensors

I've read a fair amount of other posts with similar problems, but no definite solution for it (there's prolly a post out there and I'm just blind to it...)

1st off, when it idles the car idles rough. If I tap the throttle the rpms will jump up and down, searching for the idle; sometimes it will even stall out...
I scanned it with HP Tuners and my O2 sensors fluctuate veryyyy slowly when at idle. The only time the O2 readings fluctuate rapidly is when I'm above 1400 rpm. The O2 sensors are about 2.5 years old. I had them in when I first installed the ceramic coated LT headers.

Questions
1) Could the coating from the headers have burned off when I first cranked the car up after the install and messed up the 02 sensors? If so, can they be cleaned or should I just buy new ones.
2) I read something about how the O2 sensors are much further down in the exhaust stream with the LT headers, and sometimes they don't penetrate far enough inside the exhaust stream. The remedy I read for this was to grind down the outside of the O2 bung on the header, which would allow the O2 sensor to be more in the exhaust stream. Is this appropriate?

Thoughts???
Old 10-20-2010, 05:21 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would definately buy some new O2 sensors. If they are that old they are probably just fouled out. I bet most of your issues will be fixed by getting some new ones on there.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive also read about putting them deeper but am not sure. right now i have both my O2s giving codes and no one is really helping out lol i couldnt find an answer. its a PO135 code. gd luck with yours. try swapping front with rears and see if it solves it.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Really? 2.5 years is old for an O2 sensor? That seems like an awfully short lifespan... But what do I have to lose, other than $100, lol!

omarrakeen, I'm guessing you started having the issue after the LTs? I think they make O2 sensors for our cars that heat up better, but I read up on that over 1 year ago, so I don't really remember where. What's your other code, P0155? And I would try swapping my front with rears, but I deleted my catalytic converter when I put the LTs on, so my rear O2s are gone and tuned out.

I remember reading something on HP Tuners forum about changing the O2 warmup time and the "adjustment time," or something like that, but I was overly stupid and didn't book mark it...so now I can't find it...either
Old 10-22-2010, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

These cars (and other cars with lts) make o2s slower because they are colder. Its the nature of the beast. From my knowledge heater elements are all the same. Do a search from me about the slow switching/response. You will find the problems I have had. OP what are your codes? If theres nothing wrong with your car like exhaust leaks,fuel contamination,then I think your o2s are going out. But I really think you need to replace them.
At this point I am working on getting a tune because iv heard from tuners that they can set the switching values (or whatever its called) to make the o2s happy. But other than that the car runs great. I have ran the time in sig with this slow switching thing.
I really dont think the slow switching has any effect of performance unless its something other than slow switching.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by runtwrestlin
Really? 2.5 years is old for an O2 sensor? That seems like an awfully short lifespan... But what do I have to lose, other than $100, lol!

omarrakeen, I'm guessing you started having the issue after the LTs? I think they make O2 sensors for our cars that heat up better, but I read up on that over 1 year ago, so I don't really remember where. What's your other code, P0155? And I would try swapping my front with rears, but I deleted my catalytic converter when I put the LTs on, so my rear O2s are gone and tuned out.

I remember reading something on HP Tuners forum about changing the O2 warmup time and the "adjustment time," or something like that, but I was overly stupid and didn't book mark it...so now I can't find it...either
i meant using your rear O2 (sensors) only not plugging rears to fronts. so you can test if it is an O2 sensor error or just a normal LTs error. i had PO135 code..
Old 10-24-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a similar issue on my '02 RS (3.8L), and NO headers -- P0133 (O2 Sensor Circuit too Slow), but had all 3 O2 Sensors changed in the last 6 mo. -- *grumble*.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-24-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Launching!

senicalj4579 My car isn't throwing any codes. I had it tuned after I did the LS1 swap, and was very happy with the tune for the beginning. But after a few days or so after and it started acting rough at idle & having "searching for idle" syndrome again. I don't think there's anything else wrong with the car (I've checked). I don't have problems except for at idle. I agree with you that it wouldn't really affect high performance too much, but i know it will def affect the overall closed loop performance whenever they're not switching. The car feels fine cruising and runs good at WOT. My only performance issue is my idle performance, lol.
I just read your thread, and it sounds like we are having the EXACT same problem...Plz update me if you find anything else out. Thx

libertyforall1776 That's exactly what I don't want to happen

omarrakeen I threw away my sensors quite a while ago, so if I'm understanding you correctly, I can't do that. But if I still had the sensors I would try it. And I thought you were throwing more than 1 code? I was just takin a guess at what I thought your other code may've been. My bad...reader error

I'll order some more sensors (when I get some more $$$), and see what happens from there.

Last edited by runtwrestlin; 10-24-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: new info
Old 10-25-2010, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by runtwrestlin
omarrakeen I threw away my sensors quite a while ago, so if I'm understanding you correctly, I can't do that. But if I still had the sensors I would try it. And I thought you were throwing more than 1 code? I was just takin a guess at what I thought your other code may've been. My bad...reader error
am having all these
PO131: low voltage bank 1 sensor 1

PO134: circut insufficient activity bank 1 sensor 1

PO135: heater performance bank 1 sensor 1

PO154: circut insufficient activity bank 2 sensor 1

PO155: heater performance bank 2 sensor 1

its like my O2s arent working lol.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Launching!

So I decided to try the "drill some holes in it" method. I drilled some holes in the O2 sensors, and was successful in not damaging the sensor itself. From the look of the sensor when I pulled it out, I think only 1/5 of the sensor is actually in the exhaust stream. I haven't noticed a difference yet (in driving, or on the rate of O2 switching when I scanned with HP Tuners), so I was contemplating grinding down the O2 bung.

My question is: if I grind down the bung, will I have to re-thread it for the O2 sensor to screw in properly? Also, I know the outside of the bung will need to be pretty flat so that it won't leak, but does it have to be perfect? Inotherwords, would a normal grinder suffice to keep the bung useable?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Update to my post above, this code was fixed by swapping the Senor 1, Bank 1 O2 Sensor (driver side manifold on 3.8L) with a new one -- part was still warrantied...
Old 11-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Subscribed... having a very similar problem.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the update libertyforall1776. I'm just trying to do whatever I can before dishing out an extra $100. I've also heard of many people with LTs replacing their O2 sensors and still having the same issue withing a few weeks. Hopefully in the next week or so I'll be able to grind down the bung.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

I have read that Denso O2 sensors are a better design, if you are going to replace them, see:
http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part3.htm

The stock Delphi oxygen sensor used in 2001 V6 Camaro and, below, the better choice--a Denso O2S.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I have read that Denso O2 sensors are a better design, if you are going to replace them, see:
http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part3.htm

The stock Delphi oxygen sensor used in 2001 V6 Camaro and, below, the better choice--a Denso O2S.
The "better sensor" thing is a hit or miss with our cars. Theres no one best. Some people will swear by a certain brand while the other guy will say they didnt workout. Its a tossup.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

^ totally true! its getting me crazy!

Quick Reply: Rough Idle & Slow O2 Sensors