Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default high idle problems

Okay, so in January (i know its been forever) it was lightly raining and one of the young neighbor kids came by with a bunch of his friends and wanted to hear my car. So i started it and revved it (maybe to 3 grand for him) and since the have had nasty nasty idle and starting problems.

I have cleaned all sensors in the induction system, and replaced the IAC.

90% of the time, when im driving around i i put the clutch in the car will try and idle between 1800-2500 with sometimes idling at 3K on those nose. If im at a light and doing this and put the car in say 4th, and slip the clutch while holding the brake and bog the car down it will usually stay down at a lower idle, but it will hardly every idle at 950 wheres its supposed to. Could this be an 02 problem? i have no ****** idea what it could be and im all out of ideas. It def smells like its running way rich when its doing its little idle temper tantrum. Also when its doing this, say it wants to idle at 2500, and im in 5th gear going 45 (which is about 2K with my gears) i will set the cruise control and it will pull the car to 55ish or 2500 rpms. Im eating my brakes up trying to get this car to not ******* drive through everything infrotn of me. Im honestly to the point where i dont want to / like to drive my car anymore, which is a real shame because i have 700 miles on my MWC setup and just completely ******* hate it

also since this happened, when i start the car itll fire up then sputter down and if i dont give it gas it will die. I sit there for 20ish seconds with the car yoyoing to try and find its idle...

ANY IDEAS BEOFRE I PUSH MY CAR OFF THE CLIFF?! It seems the more i fix/clean/replace the worse this ******* problem gets
Old 11-06-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your PCV system. There is a diagram in your engine bay, ya know the stickers everyone ignores lol. But really check it out and look at your pcv system you probably have a leak some where. Maybe a hose disconnected. You might have to replace your pcv valve which is $6.

I replaced my pcv system since I broke a tube while putting in my ls6 intake. Well I never put the valve back in because I didn't know it was there. I spent all summer trying to figure it out...
Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SS4Luck- my car is doing the exact same thing! Haven't been able to figure it out for the longest time! What do you check in the PCV system that would cause this problem?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your pcv!

Check all of your lines. Spray your lines down (while the car is running) with starting fluid or carb cleaner.... I am not suggesting its the safest way since it is flammable but if you have a pin hole in one of your lines your idle will jump when it is sprayed.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 AM
11 Second Club

i dont have a PCV system

its either MAF or TPS... has to be... or im going to blow this mf'er up lol. Heads are stock, Intake is stock and havent been off the car in 2+ yers since my cam install.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you running breathers?

Get some fuel line, a T connector and some hose clamps and make one up. Make sure you get a pcv valve. It will all cost less than 20 bucks. Its worth a shot.

As for it being your TPS or MAF, do you have any buddies that you could swap with?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

My valve covers are connected and I am running dual breathers.

im working on finding a local friend to swap sensors with.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Teching In

have u found out what's wrong. my car just started doing the same thing.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

nope :/ I deleted my PCV system and evap system, fixed my broken dipstick and pulled my TB off and cleaned the ******* **** out of it and still.

Im going on vacation tomorrow night and when i get back im going to swap MAFs with a neighbor and see what that does for me
Old 11-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Teching In

i have extra parts, so when i get home today i'm goin to try and figure it out. it runs fine but idles high. and then it don't want to start back up until i give it gas.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same exact problem with one of my old mustangs. I used to do the same thing as you (slip the clutch so it would bog down the car, cause it was embarrassing)

Mine turned out to be a vaccume leak. I used starter fluid (again, not the safest way) and found the leak. It was really small, but i fixed it and never had the problem again. Good luck.

Quick Reply: high idle problems