Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: SLP OR BORLA
SLP LOUDMOUTH CAT BACK
25.00%
SLP LOUDMOUTH II CAT BACK
15.00%
SLP POWER FLO CAT BACK
17.50%
BORLA CAT BACK (NON ADJ.)
42.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

SLP Cat Back, VS. BORLA Cat Back!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get a LM2, inside diameter is only 2-1/4 inches, it's a full 3 inch exhaust except the resonator. Either get a borla XR1, LM1, or chambered long muffler/resonator to replace the LM2.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have LM1 with ORY and BBK Headers and I get NO rasp.. AT ALL... I LOVE the way is sounds to. It's very smooth, quiet but noticeable when driving around but at WOT it wakes the dead.

Also a great merge pipe makes things a lot better by easing the exhaust into each other and making no rasp where as the other Y pipes have horrible merges and creates rasp.

My car is a stalled automatic also. I will post my video as soon as it uploads on my computer.

I also have a friend's video I will post and he has a cam (biggest comp XER) only 99 B4C car with SLP Power flo cat-back and its very tame. It is a stalled automatic also.

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz325/mesterious/Cars/?action=view&current=Best.mp4
My Trans am was running pretty rich off the mail order tune.

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/z...rent=Best2.mp4
Camaro

Last edited by mesterious; 11-07-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jay-P
Looks as though SLPs marketing has sucked you right in!
i dont see any other makers being different.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
i dont see any other makers being different.
Did i say otherwise?

His comment just struck me as funny is all. Slp makes nice products, heck i have their lid on my car, and have a CME set-up waiting to be installed, sitting in my basement.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:02 AM
Staging Lane

Cool

Originally Posted by jay-p
looks as though slps marketing has sucked you right in!
sucked me in you say...kinda/// Because of there price and the type of performance they offer for "our" cars... i want a exhuast with awsome sound i still got stock mani's.... i dont want it to sound *****! and i dont want it soundin like a funny car at the track. I run 93 octane not alcohol... :d: agressive deep roar for stock manifolds with some crack but not too ricey

Last edited by WS6_NC88; 11-08-2010 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WS6_NC88
sucked me in you say...kinda/// Because of there price and the type of performance they offer for "our" cars... i want a exhuast with awsome sound i still got stock mani's.... i dont want it to sound *****! and i dont want it soundin like a funny car at the track. I run 93 octane not alcohol... :d: agressive deep roar for stock manifolds with some crack but not too ricey
Not sure why you keep mentioning SLP makes products for "our" cars. So just because other companies make products for other types of vehicles that makes those products inferior? You do realize SLP makes items for Mustangs and other vehicles right? Anyways...

Are you planning on putting headers on at some point? Have you considered GMMG? I think that system sounds awesome through the stock manifolds. Once you put on headers it gets a bit raspy and too loud for my tastes though. If it is too pricey for you search through the classifieds, they pop up quite often used.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

yes. i realize that slp makes parts for other cars bro. i just never heard of or seen a slp mustang like the trans am that slp does up. and slp also make performance packs for our cars. i was also told tht slp was a performance parts for trans am and camaro. meaning our cars idc about mustangs... i might be new to the mechanics but im not stupid. but thanks for the correction
Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked my GMMG with stock manifolds but it sounded like the Flowmaster my car came with. When I put LT's and an ORY on it I loved it. I sold it to go with a TD setup that ended up having shitty clearance at the dumps so I traded a guy for an original non-modular Loudmouth. The GMMG was a little loud in the car (with LT's) but still sounded awesome; the biggest drawback was it's heavy-*** weight. The TD's sounded SUPER LOUD inside the car but the tone was so incredibly deep and clear. The LM is soooo quiet in the cabin and not bad outside either under 2kRPM's and it weighs SO much less than the other 2 systems I've used. I plan on leaving the LM on for good and just adding some CME tips and the valance to it.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

SLP is just another manufacturer...there's nothing that makes them "special" because they make LS1 parts. ASC did all the WS.6 conversions, anyway.

You're not going to ever have "crackle" like a Pro Mod car with just an exhaust - that comes from a combination of compression and cam. You might get a lot of rasp (which is the horrid scratchy noise a lot of setups like the LM1 have), but you'll never get cam lope or compression snap from exhaust alone.

Both the LM1 and LM2 sound like *** to me. There's no tone to it, it's just raw noise. Corsa sounds like a boat, Magnaflow is quiet and pretty generic-sounding, Borla is decent, GMMG is way too expensive, and I've never heard a car with a BB&B setup. If I was doing a single-pipe system, I'd buy a good y-pipe (or have one made with a good merge), pick up some XR1 mufflers, and have an exhaust shop put it together for me.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

yes. i realize that slp makes parts for other cars bro. i just never heard of or seen a slp mustang like the trans am that slp does up. and slp also make performance packs for our cars. i was also told tht slp was a performance parts for trans am and camaro. meaning our cars idc about mustangs... i might be new to the mechanics but im not stupid. but thanks for the correction
Well wasn't implying you were stupid man. Just trying to point out that just because SLP makes parts and "packs" for our cars doesn't mean they are the authority on fbody boltons. Sure they have made some nice items, but they have made their fair share of turds as well.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

lol yea its cool... ok so ive kinda got a good idea as to what im gonna do.. im thinking of getting the lm1 cat back and possibly the XR-1. that way i get the best of both.i just gotta figure out if im gettin gthe 3'' or 2.5" XR-1. i went on ws6 an seen 4 diff types of lm1's and they had 2 diff pics, one looked like it had alot less parts come with it... but one pic looked assembled and the other pic was in pieces but they were all 375. whats the difference in the 2 types of lm1 and the 2 different pics. cuz there was 4 different lm1 set ups

Last edited by WS6_NC88; 11-08-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

I dont think SLP is using the same quality stainless steels in there systems as they use too. I think they went cheapo with the steel and jacked the price up as well. Borla/Corsa/(Magnaflow - bad experience) still use a good quality stainless. I know most people do not care but if you buy a catback and you have to replace parts of it 2 years later your going to be pissed off. As much as I hated my magnaflow that SOB was still solid after a few years in shitty weather.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

I'd go for a LM1 if i wanted to buy an SLP system. Personally, I'm looking at purchasing a GMMG catback in the near future.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

If anyone says that their LM doesn't have rasp they are lying to you. That goes for the LM1 and LM2. Only SLP exhaust that doesn't have rasp is the Dual/Dual or PowerFlo.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

^Yep. I really don't mind the rasp personally. When I'm just DD'ing I shift at 1800RPM's so it's tame until I get on it. I would LOVE to have a dual/dual but I still enjoy the LM. Detoxx's car sounds awesome for anyone wanting to hear the Power Flo setup.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

No I don't get rasp at all.... Listen to my video... Even driving I get no rasp...
It all comes down to your merge design. Crappy merge=RASP
Old 11-09-2010, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Cool

[QUOTE=got milk??;14094687]I dont think SLP is using the same quality stainless steels in there systems as they use too. I think they went cheapo with the steel and jacked the price up as well. Borla/Corsa/(Magnaflow - bad experience) still use a good quality stainless. I know most people do not care but if you buy a catback and you have to replace parts of it 2 years later your going to be pissed off. As much as I hated my magnaflow that SOB was still solid after a few years in shitty weather.[/QUOTE

IDK ABOUT SLP QUALITY PERSONALLY BUT $375 FOR A CAT BACK, I DONT THINK THATS TOO BAD! THE MORE I THINK ABOUT THIS CONFUSION, IM THINKN OF GOIN TRUE DUALS AND GETTN 2 "XR-1" AND HAVEN IT DUMPED INFRONT THE AXLE AND THAT WOULD RUNN ME ABROUND 500 IF I KEPT THE STOCK MANI FOR EMISSIONS PERPOSE UNLESS SOMEBODY KNOWS SOME LT'S THAT ARE EMISSION FREINDLY SO I CAN DRIVE IT ON THE STREETFOR EMISSIONS WOULDNT I NEED SOME CATS ?:p:
Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

"SLP" Cat Back- SLP has Loudmouth, Loudmouth II, and the new Power Flo. Claims best-performing exhaust systems in the business. Loudmouth setups offer reduced price compared to Borla, but is quality also reduced? PowerFlo mufflers offer minimal flow restriction and a deep, rich performance sound, full 6dB quieter at idle and 9dB quieter at 2000 rpm then the SLP Loudmouth II cat-back.

"BORLA" Cat Back- Unmatched sound & performance, the name says it all. Well known name, but is its sound an performance really unmatched? Pricing is a little more and seems to have less selection IMO.

WHATS YOUR OPINION? IF YOU WERE LOOKING FOR THAT DEEP HARDCORE MUSCLE CAR TONE TO RIP THROUGH GEARS AND "HEAR" IT AND STILL HAVE A GREAT "STREET" PERFORMANCE SYSTEM!
If you already have the flowmaster cat back I would just replace the 80 series muffler with a 40 series 2 chamber. That would sound great and flow much better. The LM's sound too raw and raspy for me, and borla wasnt worth the price imo.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Ive decided *** cat back im doin duals... Goin 3'' straight pipes to borla xr-1 dumped and turned out infront eh rear tiers.... Too easy saves from having to decide what cat back to go for
Old 11-10-2010, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Well for one slp is the performance for our cars and i like there products and there price borla has there name and ive always wanted one and corsa idk mand there expensive as *** idont think ill be getting that one

i might be new to the mechanics but im not stupid.
Really?? Then you must have forgotten how to spell "their" and "they're".

No wonder America's going in the toilet.......

Quick Reply: SLP Cat Back, VS. BORLA Cat Back!