Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Budget Exhaust (with track results)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You can post the name of the seller. The rules state you cannot put direct links to their products or direct contact info in your posts.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's true, I'm not really solicitating and I've gotten a ton of PMs about it. I bought from a store called Speed Daddy. I know there are a few people on tech that have bought from them and they've had pretty good luck.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice write up OP. I have one question. The stock intermediate pipe is 3 inches correct? I believe thats the same as an aftermarket one. Would it sound/perform any different with a full hooker exhaust?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

I think the stock exhaust is 2.75" but I haven't measured. To be honest I don't know how it would sound, I would think a Hooker catback would affect the sound at least a little bit but I'm not sure. I was going back and forth between buying a catback or going with a cut-out. To me I like having it sound tame at idle and part throttle and I love having the option to open up the cut-out so that helped me make my mind up. That and I picked up the cut-out for $35 and the catback would be about 10 times that much

Plus I'm going for a sleeper build with around 400rwhp with stock cam and no power adder so the quieter the exhaust the better
Old 11-17-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Very nice write up OP. I have one question. The stock intermediate pipe is 3 inches correct? I believe thats the same as an aftermarket one. Would it sound/perform any different with a full hooker exhaust?
I dont think you would gain any sound from the i-pipe differences, any differences will come from the muffler itself, and the tips.
Power, well at his power level i doubt you would notice a difference, at higher power yes a difference will be seen.

OP you mentioned the thickness of the primary tubes, and how you thought they seemed thin. How thin are we talking here? I'm curious if the thin material will effect the longevity of these headers, ie cracking from heat/cold cycles and so on.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the ebay headers pretty much the same as pacesetters besides the stainless steal? i mean are the primaries and collectors the same size?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Jay-P;14133693]I dont think you would gain any sound from the i-pipe differences, any differences will come from the muffler itself, and the tips.
Power, well at his power level i doubt you would notice a difference, at higher power yes a difference will be seen.[QUOTE]

Thats why I have never understood why people spend $600+ dollars on a catback system when they never plan on doing more than bolt on parts.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6

Thats why I have never understood why people spend $600+ dollars on a catback system when they never plan on doing more than bolt on parts.
Because some people get caught up in wanting the biggest/best product. It can turn into such a waste if you aren't careful. You know the old saying....."A fool and his money......"
Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jay-P
OP you mentioned the thickness of the primary tubes, and how you thought they seemed thin. How thin are we talking here? I'm curious if the thin material will effect the longevity of these headers, ie cracking from heat/cold cycles and so on.
The welder I had cut off and close up the emissions holes said the tubes were very thin. He said a low setting on his welder would go through them like butter, but I've never welded anything so not to sure if that's common or not. QTP is the only other stainless set of headers I've owned and they definitely felt thicker and heavier. In hindsight a few minutes with a set of calipers and a scale would've been time well spent.

I'm not too worried about them cracking, they're thin but not paper thin. It seems like the only real stress points on exhaust are at the welds and they seem very solid and thick. I've only put 3,000 miles on them but so far they've held up well. Still polish up looking brand new.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
The welder I had cut off and close up the emissions holes said the tubes were very thin. He said a low setting on his welder would go through them like butter, but I've never welded anything so not to sure if that's common or not. QTP is the only other stainless set of headers I've owned and they definitely felt thicker and heavier. In hindsight a few minutes with a set of calipers and a scale would've been time well spent.

I'm not too worried about them cracking, they're thin but not paper thin. It seems like the only real stress points on exhaust are at the welds and they seem very solid and thick. I've only put 3,000 miles on them but so far they've held up well. Still polish up looking brand new.
Good to hear, maybe someone with a set not installed can chime in on the material thickness.

One other thing i just thought of was how thick the mounting flange was, the part that bolts to the heads. Thats another place they might have used a thinner then usual material at, which eventually can warp.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Me and a friend of mine both have those ebay headers and we love them. They have been on our cars for like a year now and neither one of us have had any problems with them. When people ask me what headers I have on my car I just say "stainless steel ones" and thats the last word I hear about it haha.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evg9fnSW8BE

Here's a quick video I took from my phone on my lunch break. At the end I get down beside the car and you can see how high the headers tuck. Lowest part by far is the driver's side cat, shop didn't do a very good job of tucking it but it is what it is.

I'll check on the header flange later today and get some measurements.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats really quiet. Looks good though! Nice job!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds nice. Thx for getting the driver side collector in the vid. Any chance you could get me a couple closer view pics?
Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like a nice setup man. I'd like to see what it picks up with the cutout open as well.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evg9fnSW8BE

Here's a quick video I took from my phone on my lunch break. At the end I get down beside the car and you can see how high the headers tuck. Lowest part by far is the driver's side cat, shop didn't do a very good job of tucking it but it is what it is.

I'll check on the header flange later today and get some measurements.
That sounds good. I live down at Smith mountan lake and would like to take a look at your car if you dont mind. I just bought my wife an 01 to drive on nice days and would like to do an exhaust like yours. Let me know when your around.
Thanks
JL
Old 11-30-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

I don't get up that way much during the winter. I live in Salem but working during the week in downtown Roanoke. If you're in the area around lunch or 5 I'd be happy to let you look her over.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job man. I was just up there when my wife and I rode the bikes up to see my folks for thanksgiving. Maybe next time we can catch up. The way you talk about the exhaust shop freaking about the cats makes me think you took it to roberts muffler, lol. They're natorious for that.

It sounds good man. I was just thinking about you and your headers this morning when I found this post. Now that schools out I plan on getting under my car to work on my exhaust. Where did you take the cats to? I know ours go for a good bit of cash but all the places down here will tell me is a generic price per pound, like a buck per pound or something stupid.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Yup, I took it to Robert's. My old z28 they welded up no problem without cats, but this time they wouldn't touch it unless I agreed to cats. It sucks but it'll make for a nice sleeper once I get a few more parts together.

Price per pound is bull, our OEM cats have platnium and I think a few other precious metals in the screens. I took the cats to R&R recycling, you don't get as much as you use to from them but they put $110 in my pocket for a pair.

Next time you're up this way definitely let me know. If it's not too cold we can go riding, this 20* weather made me realize I'm not as hardcore as I thought I was