Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best Drag Radial to drive in rain.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None the less thanks for ya'lls replies I will be getting me a pair of nittos 555's
Old 11-27-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick
Drag radials are for traction. There is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in running a drag radial out front. Run the cheapest street tire you can find. Putting a drag radial on the frnot is just a waste of money. DO NOT DO IT.
Thank you.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WSsick
Drag radials are for traction. There is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in running a drag radial out front. Run the cheapest street tire you can find. Putting a drag radial on the frnot is just a waste of money. DO NOT DO IT.
Not true. If you are after drag racing then yea, its sstupid to put a DR on the front tires, but if you're after traction and road racing, then do radials on all 4 tires. I'm running Nitto NT-01s on my daily, rain or shine (except pouring rain) and you just have to be really careful. Once any drag radial wears down then dont drive in water much but as long as you have some tread, you're good. In the dry weather, my car gets AMAZING grip and is absolutely incredible. In the wet, just have to be careful and take turns slower but cruise and dont do much past the speed limit and pay attention for braking and you'll be alright.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Psycho
Not true. If you are after drag racing then yea, its sstupid to put a DR on the front tires, but if you're after traction and road racing, then do radials on all 4 tires. I'm running Nitto NT-01s on my daily, rain or shine (except pouring rain) and you just have to be really careful. Once any drag radial wears down then dont drive in water much but as long as you have some tread, you're good. In the dry weather, my car gets AMAZING grip and is absolutely incredible. In the wet, just have to be careful and take turns slower but cruise and dont do much past the speed limit and pay attention for braking and you'll be alright.
how do you like those NT 01s as far as wear and cost?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple Vette guys I know love their NT05's so I will be trying that on all 4 corners soon.

Coming back from Myrtle Beach after the Beach Blast last July I hit some rain outside of Wilmington and did the a$$hole pucker skating thing on My MT DR's and would not recommend them...
Old 11-30-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
how do you like those NT 01s as far as wear and cost?

Love em! They'er asolutely amazing tires. As far as cost goes, they are a little pricey but not too bad. I believe its $222 for my rears (315/35/17), havent checked on the fronts yet but they should be a little cheaper. As far as wear, theyre alright as long as you're not constantly beating on em. My rears have 5 of 6mm of tread left and theyve been on for over 7 mos and atleast the 7000 miles ive put on the car, probably a few thousand more than that from the last owner..so probably closer to 10,000. I do enjoy the occasional powerslide/throttle stomps/pulls/etc. Due to my suspension setup and these tires, I tend to like to take turns fast as well so my fronts are at about 3-3.5mm outta 6.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

I've had the Toyo Proxes TQ 315/35/18 drag radial on my car since August. It's had some heavy downpours that I've been driving in, and I must say, they are very street friendly. I was afraid of hearing about drag radials in the rain, but I have no problem going out in a downpour in these tires. Even doing highway speeds. In fact, my old 275 Sumitomos with good life left still broke loose in rain more than these.. They are a pretty nice sticky tire. Now if you are going for some low low 60fts, you might want a Mickey Thompson, but I say the Toyo is a very very great choice for a street-driven car needing a sticky tire when a basic street tire just can't cut it. AND the tires cost me $200 a piece. NOT BAD for a 315 tire on a 18" rim.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
i cant say whats good in the rain, but I can tell you that BFG's SUCK in the rain. My a**hole has never been puckered tighter when i got caught in the rain on the highway. 50mph TOPS and she would skate around pretty easily.

Yes.. I can second a story on that one. A buddy of mine out west was running some BFG drag radials and as SOON as it would start to drizzle he would head home. He said they were horrid in the rain. -Sideways machine.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

The DR do suck in the rain that's why I have a extra set of rear I currently running kdw2 n they great
Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how are they affected by the season changes, hot and cold? i know some tire's are rated just for dry and summer.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Why in the HELL would someone put drag radials on the front of a rear wheel drive car? Are you SERIOUS!?

Back on topic, I have nitto's dr's on back of my car and they do awesome in the rain, except for when they're bald. Riken-Raptor's up front for me..
Old 11-30-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by a.white86
Why in the HELL would someone put drag radials on the front of a rear wheel drive car? Are you SERIOUS!?

Back on topic, I have nitto's dr's on back of my car and they do awesome in the rain, except for when they're bald. Riken-Raptor's up front for me..
I've wondered the same thing??? Maybe they care corners well
Old 11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Toyo TQ 315's here and feel comfortable at about 45mph in a normal rain. I actually felt fine at 55 until I had to do a moderate brake one time and the rear started to come around. That's when you will notice it.

But I guess good with bad I can't hook worth a damn on these, going to go Mickey's when these wear out as I don't put many miles on this car anymore.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

With my Nitto 555r's: 305 wide

Handled well enough in the rain (city & highway)...now that they are starting to wear down, it's a little worse than normal, but any worn down tire would do the same. I avoid standing water as a habit, so I can't really coment.

With my MT ET Streets: 295 wide

My car got real skiddish and started hydroplane with anything over 45 mph in the rain.

When I had my BFG KDW's: 295 wide

My car got a little skiddish over 55mph in the rain.

Quick Reply: What is the best Drag Radial to drive in rain.