Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust leak...again, PLZ HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust leak...again, PLZ HELP!!!!

hello everyone, so last month i had this leak after getting hard on the car..i got new gm mls gaskets and had them re tightened and all..today on my fking way to uni a stupid 350Z kept messing around i got hard into it again and there it is leaking from passenger side head flange what should i do now?! why would it leak only when under heavy gas? could it be muffler constriction? because am using stock one. PLEASE help any suggestions? am using flow fking techs ( because i had to ) should i use paper gasket with rtv? am pissed i think am going back to stock

ps: it only leaks from passenger side..is that common or what?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So its leaking from the gaskets? The stock muffler would not push back so much back pressure to blow out and leak.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

yes its leaking from the passenger side gasket i think i will unbolt it my self and retighten everything its annoying..

EDIT: should i use rtv of not?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try loctitening the bolts or you try putting two gaskets on the header.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:25 AM

I would not use RTV on there. It will just be a mess. The problem more than likely is that the headers are warped at the flange, they are flowtechs. I would upgrade to atleast a set of pacestters I have had mine for 5 years and not a single problem with them. I would take a look into that.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Trev_SS
I would not use RTV on there. It will just be a mess. The problem more than likely is that the headers are warped at the flange, they are flowtechs. I would upgrade to atleast a set of pacestters I have had mine for 5 years and not a single problem with them. I would take a look into that.
yea i heard rtv is a mess..and for the pacestter i would if i could. i live in middle east so lol i cant ship 15 kgs over seas. and nth in market is designed for fbodys..
Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Always2Slow
try loctitening the bolts or you try putting two gaskets on the header.

ill do it my self am sick of those stupid mechanics around here..but wil 2 gaskets really help??
Old 05-08-2011, 06:42 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Bump. I know it's an old thread but, having the same problem. Wanting to know about using 2 gaskets and what kind. Did you fix it? Thanks
Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

wow that is my old thread anyway yes i did fix it. i reinstalled a single gasket which was gm multi layer steel..turned out an egr leak luckily so if you have you egr connected you might wanna check the pipes and all. good luck.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:33 AM
TECH Veteran

I've actually seen someone take a header flange to a belt sander. Crazy enough to work.

Find someone with a long enough belt sander (18"?) and hold the flange FLAT on there to even everything out. Check the flange with a straight edge first to find any warping or uneven spots.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

never loctite those bolts either
Old 05-08-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

^ I never did either. Running stock bolts and I only had to re-snug them once after the install.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Default Header Gasket warped.

I am having the exact same issue on my 2000 Camaro ss. The header Flange is definitely warped and it has rotted what used to be the gasket inside. I really need to bend the flange to make it flush again. what is the best way to do this? Is it possible to do without removing the exhaust completely? I see some have suggested two gaskets, will this be a temporary fix or will they hold up?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gerage12
I am having the exact same issue on my 2000 Camaro ss. The header Flange is definitely warped and it has rotted what used to be the gasket inside. I really need to bend the flange to make it flush again. what is the best way to do this? Is it possible to do without removing the exhaust completely? I see some have suggested two gaskets, will this be a temporary fix or will they hold up?
back from the dead lol. my problem turned out to be an EGR leak that i missed, i couldnt tell from the noises of my exhaust. I however replaced the gaskets with new ones. you can try and use double gaskets. good luck.

Quick Reply: exhaust leak...again, PLZ HELP!!!!