Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best muffler for single dumped set up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what i had on my car wasnt too loud or raspy. ory with one chamber flowmaster
Attached Thumbnails Best muffler for single dumped set up?-downsized_11120018421.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by red 95 t/a
This is what i had on my car wasnt too loud or raspy. ory with one chamber flowmaster
Thats is what I'm looking for. I think...
Old 12-01-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian Coles
2 Loud???
No, I dont think its quite but I could go louder anyday. I am just getting sick of the exhaust being right under my car. No drone really just annoying. IDK how to expalin it.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brian Coles
Thats is what I'm looking for. I think...
Ya i just trew it on so i could drive the car(y-pipe came with my headers used) and had the 1 chamber laying around,But it sounded better than i thought it would so i left it on there all summer lol.
I always used flowmaster on every car i built,there is no muffler that sounds as good i think, But every one says there restrictive. I just got a good deal on a used x-pipe and i put bullets on it and its loud *** ***** plus it sounds badass haha. I think the duals gave it a lil more power(maybe im retarded lol). With the y-pipe it wouldnt spin with the duals It bounces off the rev limiter. The y-pipe didnt drag tho. Need too spend some time tucking the duals lol
Old 12-02-2010, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be honest, anything dumped will be loud and resonating in the car, your best bet might be the following, as long as you have the funds.

Run your exhaust as normal, but in the back use a single in/single out muffler, giving you a single out the drivers side. Find something that sounds good, but will keep the neighbors happy, then have the exhaust shop make the over the axle pip into a "Borla type" pipe. So that there is a split to allow it to be ran as a second tailpipe out the passenger side. Then, depending on funds, either run an electric cutout to a tailpipe all the time.(ideal setup) or put a cutout plate there that allows removal of the cutout blockoff plate for open exhaust, and even have a tailpipe made up that could be bolted up to the cutout to run the exhaust out the back. Local exhaust shop does the electric cutout setup, and sounds awesome....our cars sound much better with a single in/out style muffler, and then the ability to run open exhaust is nice with the flick of a switch. I would do a 3.5" spintech/mufflex system and add the second tailpipe setup. I like the sound of the spintech's better than flowmasters.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try running some bullets or small oval mufflers right after the headers, and in the I-pipe run another bullet muffler. I'd recommend the Magnaflow mufflers.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Hooker Maximum Flow.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
LT's, Custom ORY, FM-Merge, POWERSTICK dumped right before the axle.

Added Thunderbolt cats back in July after the video.
Wouldn't have it any other way.
At idle it was nice, but still pretty ******* loud without cats.
But between shifts it was extremely raspy, and I actually have a very nice merge on my Y.
It's a flowmaster merge with mandrel bent piping, doesn't get any less turbulent than that.

The cats cleaned it up, and took away pretty much all of the rasp.
It's loud enough, and doesn't sound like burning donkey dick between shifts.
-Matt
That sounds like a farm truck sitting there idling to me. Not trying to be ugly its just hard as hell to get these cars/motors to sound decent. I personally think a single chamber dumped off the Y would sound better then a bullet muffler of any brand.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
That sounds like a farm truck sitting there idling to me. Not trying to be ugly its just hard as hell to get these cars/motors to sound decent. I personally think a single chamber dumped off the Y would sound better then a bullet muffler of any brand.
Powerstick is a single chambered muffler.

Keep in mind, when have you ever known youtube to do the sound of any exhaust justice? No it's not the best sounding setup, but trust me, it's legit.
-Matt
Old 12-04-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Just to add, been planning on an XR-1 to replace it and other mods for a while now.
Just had to spend all my mod money on plane tickets for a funeral out of state.
Shitty.
-Matt

Quick Reply: Best muffler for single dumped set up?