Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ect issues cant get rid of code....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ect issues cant get rid of code....

I have been fighting driveability issues on my 98 formula for quite some time now and have decided to just work with one issue at a time. I broke the ect sensor when installing headers and have since replaced it twice but cannot get rid of the ect code on the pcm the wiring going to the sensor is fine and so is the connector what could be causing the car to keep saying it has a bad ect? What exactly would happen if I have a bad ect? On really cold days the car will not idle at all and I will have to give gas and brake when I come to a stop and the car will pull itself along at 55 mph with my foot off the gas.

The other code is for the map sensor which I was told could be caused from vauum leak. So upon my vacuum line inspection I found the rear pcv valve lines to be toast so untill I buy a catch can and route it right I blocked all pcv lines and installed a breather and the car did not change one bit how is that possible from fixing such a huge vacuum leak? Please feel free to toss me some idea's If I cannot get it figured out by the holidays I will just have to suck it up and take it somewhere.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ohm test the wiring for the ect sensor? My 98 was doing the same thing and the pcm ground wire was bad somewhere in the harness. The starting problems and the hanging idle are all symptoms of the pcm not knowing your coolant temp.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That will be my next step if I can find a voltmeter thanks for the reply. So im assuming you just traced the wire and replaced the whole ground wire after that? On a side note I see that your from warsaw I have a friend that just moved back to warsaw and was talking about his buddy having a cammed t/a do you know a cameron morris?