Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The quality of Hooker products: Where did it go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David_viny
My catback I bought about a year ago had major fitment issues.
To elaborate on this (was on phone when I typed that):
- Stock Y-pipe to catback connection sucks. The catback pipe is too big ID and would have to crush a ton to get it to possibly not leak (mine leaks a little ) Could be a good thing I guess if you have a decent Y-pipe with a ~3" exit pipe.
- Part of pipe that goes over the axle and does that 90* bend into muffler wasn't aligned right so muffler would sit sideways. Had to pie cut and weld the 90* so muffler was straight. Also pushes muffler too far to the drivers side imo, but I can deal with that.
- Hanger location was off enough for me to have to make an extension bracket.
- Tail pipe on pass side is OK location wise, but the drivers side was way the hell off.
- The tips really have to be welded. They rattle like a **** using the clamps. Only reason I didn't weld them is because I plan on different tips.

Kinda sucks too, because its one of the better sounding quiet catbacks.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds pretty common
Old 12-19-2010, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Damian
The latest one I had trouble with was being installed on an LT1 T/A as a matter of fact. Look for these things:

-Over axle pipe won't be flared to fit (f-cking morons )
-Driver side pipe coming out of the muffler has the incorrect hanger. I had to tack weld it to the stock hanger to make it work
-Pass side pipe coming out of the muffler did not line up with the hole in the T/A bumper one bit. Not even close. Had to heat it up with a torch and bend it to fit.

Good luck. That'll be the last Hooker CB I install until they get their heads out of their asses.
^^^^ I had the same problem and the passenger side tail pipe didn't slip into the muffler I had to go to a exhaust shop to get it fixed.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can fix/adjust that very easily.
Yeah, it was just one of those things I didn't care about. I ended up painting the tails black and running no tips. And after thinking about it I remember the ota needing to be flared too!
Old 12-19-2010, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

I will never even try to buy from hooker again. I orderd a set of headers through speedtweekerz over the summer and they were drop shipped straight from hooker and were absolute junk. I contacted speedtweekerz and they talked to hooker for me and the guys at hooker were real quick to send a label to get the jacked up ones back but then they kept giving us the run around about getting me a new set out. After probably a month or so Jim finally just sent me a set of pacesetters. The guys at Speedtweekerz were great but i was extremely disappointed with the product from hooker. Pics can be seen in this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...okers-bad.html
Old 12-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heavy6.0
yes we have had some problems as well since they moved their production back to mississippi from mexico. We are good friends with a couple of their sales guys and they are fully aware of what is going on with some of the ls stuff. we sell alot of hooker product and they are always quick to take care of us.
So they were built better by workers in Mexico compared to workers in the US (Mississippi). That's at least my take on it.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sound to me like they made to many cuts to offset the increased labor cost of moving their production back to the US.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Launching!

-Driver side pipe coming out of the muffler has the incorrect hanger. I had to tack weld it to the stock hanger to make it work
I had to do the exact same thing with my Magnaflow catback. Passenger and driver side hangers needed to be cut and welded. The passenger side wasn't off too much, but the driver's side was off by 3". Luckily I had some spare iron rods laying around to cut and weld in.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll never buy another hooker product again after what I saw on the hooker stuff my dad bought. almost all of the pipes in his catback were crushed due to the shitty packaging, the intermediate pipe had to be expanded to fit over the hooker y-pipe, and this is the merge on the $300+ stainless hooker y-pipe.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I'll never buy another hooker product again after what I saw on the hooker stuff my dad bought. almost all of the pipes in his catback were crushed due to the shitty packaging, the intermediate pipe had to be expanded to fit over the hooker y-pipe, and this is the merge on the $300+ stainless hooker y-pipe.

Wow, that looks like a bag of smashed ********.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Resident

another rattle here... still dig the stealthy exhaust note and black muff.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:48 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
So they were built better by workers in Mexico compared to workers in the US (Mississippi). That's at least my take on it.
Yea. Pretty sad when you take the contract out of a foreign country, bring it to the US, and the build quality actually gets worse.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe what ever was rattling around in my Aerochamber just finally rusted up and got blown out the exaust pipes. It isn't as quiet as it use to be, but it still sounds better than some of the rest. It lasted about 6 months then started rattling.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darn, sad news here. I put on an aerochamber about 5 years ago, and the quality was decent....
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Just bought a single max flow to go where the stock muffler sets.Had any problems with these?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Hooker has zero quailty inspection

Originally Posted by bigjakester
I will never even try to buy from hooker again. I orderd a set of headers through speedtweekerz over the summer and they were drop shipped straight from hooker and were absolute junk. I contacted speedtweekerz and they talked to hooker for me and the guys at hooker were real quick to send a label to get the jacked up ones back but then they kept giving us the run around about getting me a new set out. After probably a month or so Jim finally just sent me a set of pacesetters. The guys at Speedtweekerz were great but i was extremely disappointed with the product from hooker. Pics can be seen in this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...okers-bad.html
looks like
Hooker has zero quailty inspection

saw the images any co. that would allow that to leave the door is now on my **** list.
Hooker is now a very bad co. shame on Holley. so I'm thinking add Holley to my undesirable list.

I've had my Hooker CB w/ areochamber muffler for about 7 years gave $280. shipped no problems w/ muffler
or fitment (also my car sits unstarted for extended periods of time).

What I did'nt like was the black paint on the muffler it was only half painted.

also thought the tips where cheap looking. did'nt use the tips.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

My Hooker catback sounded like complete ****. Now I know why.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

I am now completely depressed after reading this thread...I had been planning on a Hooker Catback for the last two years... Anyone have a spare razorblade I can borrow?...

And Detoxx, I just realized a quote of mine is in your sig. Lol. But goddamn it's so true.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by sabersaw30
Just bought a single max flow to go where the stock muffler sets.Had any problems with these?
I have a Maxflow on each of my Formulas, no problems. But then, I've never had a problem with the Aerochambers I've used in the past.

I am now completely depressed after reading this thread...I had been planning on a Hooker Catback for the last two years... Anyone have a spare razorblade I can borrow?...
I'd get a Magnaflow muffler and the Dynomax Y & I from Summit and have an exhaust shop fab the tailpipes. This will be cheaper than the Magnaflow catback, and its tailpipes suck anyway.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

Hookers have been going down hill since Buddy Holly died.

Quick Reply: The quality of Hooker products: Where did it go?