Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The quality of Hooker products: Where did it go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

with their **** product it doesn't surprise me they don't have someone on here defending the company
Old 02-01-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
with their **** product it doesn't surprise me they don't have someone on here defending the company
Right? where's that new guy @holley that took his carb'd lsx intakes to the deli for PR. maybe he'll send us a free hat.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
Mine either lol, I took my 10 year old flowmaster 80 and cut it open where it began rusting out and cleaned all the insides out, then welded a patch over the hole and called it a day actually sounds good amazingly
i love the way mine sounds. the car still has manifolds on it, but i replaced the factory catted y with a test pipe. it is a LOT louder than i expected. can be raspy, but controllable. i can't say the car runs bad either, it was going 8.2s @ 88 with a lid and the muffler only, full weight+ @ 2200'da.

i was really wanting some stainless hookers, i am still asking around and not giving up the dream haha. once you want something..you want it.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

we have addressed this issue with holley/hooker directly and have worked closely with them to get these issues resolved since we have had issues as well. From what we have been told the move from mexico back to mississippi has been a battle to get quality back where it was. we just inspect the product before it goes out so there are no issues when the customer recieves it. But they are definitely aware of the problem and seem like they are trying to fix them. just playing devils advocate
Old 02-17-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Had to bump this thread...

With the money I saved building my subframe connectors I went ahead and purchased the Hooker catback...even with what I've read here because it's the only sound I truly like with longtubes/ORY and a cam.

From what I can see and tried out, all the slip fits work fine and the intermediate/OTA section is expanded properly and fits together. The only issue I see so far is that when they sprayed the muffler (I'm guessing it's just Hi-Temp paint?), they forgot to spray one edge, as it is almost completely bare metal.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wytry
Had to bump this thread...

With the money I saved building my subframe connectors I went ahead and purchased the Hooker catback...even with what I've read here because it's the only sound I truly like with longtubes/ORY and a cam.

From what I can see and tried out, all the slip fits work fine and the intermediate/OTA section is expanded properly and fits together. The only issue I see so far is that when they sprayed the muffler (I'm guessing it's just Hi-Temp paint?), they forgot to spray one edge, as it is almost completely bare metal.
Good to hear. I really like the way the catback sounds and wanted to get one ordered this year sometime. Maybe if I hold out a little longer the issues will clear up [here's hoping at least]
Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Hopefully they didn't burn too many customers. Glad to hear the quality is coming back.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to mexico.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

see my thread and the nightmare I've been having installing long tubes.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...gine-help.html
Old 03-12-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

thought I'd add this pic from the second set of Longtubes I got..they came without the o2 holes and still hit the K member. I have to o major grinding of it to try and make them work.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

However, as of late I'm extremely disappointed with their drop in quality. Just within the last 6 months I've had 2 Hooker mufflers fall apart on the inside, and now they're shipping catbacks without flared ends on the over-axle pipe?!? I'm not sure how Hooker expects people to install the catback when both mating pipes are the same size
Easy fix..Stop buying Hooker products and they will learn to get back on par.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

i cant complain about my hooker headers as far as the fit the sound or the built quality i purchased mine last fall and love them they fit great and only took about two hours to install i have nothing but good things to say about there product
Old 03-28-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Another bump to an old thread...

Finally got my car home and installed the Hooker Aerochamber catback. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, fit EXACTLY like it should. I had a few pieces cut to make room for a QTP cutout, but we mocked it up before we did that and everything was perfect.

The sound. The sound is absolutely amazing. Fairly quiet at idle, but still lets you know I have a cam. The ****** absolutely SCREAMS (in a good way) at WOT. There is no drone whatsoever when cruising. Makes it fun to drive my car once again lol.

Everything about it was exactly what I wanted in a catback. My .02
Old 04-16-2011, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
The latest one I had trouble with was being installed on an LT1 T/A as a matter of fact. Look for these things:

-Over axle pipe won't be flared to fit (f-cking morons )
-Driver side pipe coming out of the muffler has the incorrect hanger. I had to tack weld it to the stock hanger to make it work
-Pass side pipe coming out of the muffler did not line up with the hole in the T/A bumper one bit. Not even close. Had to heat it up with a torch and bend it to fit.

Good luck. That'll be the last Hooker CB I install until they get their heads out of their asses.
well just got done with the install and none of these happened. the only thing i had to mod with the system was the pipe that comes out of the pass side of the muffler was a lil too long and didnt put the tip in the middle ofthe bumper hole. all the hangers fit, and then over the axle pipe was flared. maybe i got an old one that had been sitting on the shelf for years? idk but im happy with the way mine went on and fit.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just had THREE more catbacks come back to the shop with mufflers falling apart. Guess Hooker/Holley and I will be talking (again) about more replacement mufflers, and me eating the labor (again) for a failed product.

I will never install or recommend a Hooker product AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Sucks to hear. I used to run a Hooker Aerochamber catback on my LT1. Loved the sound quality, but just wasn't loud enough. Never had any actual issues with it though. Even aside from all these Hooker failures lately, I had no intentions of buying any other Hooker products, but this definitely backs that up.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
Just had THREE more catbacks come back to the shop with mufflers falling apart. Guess Hooker/Holley and I will be talking (again) about more replacement mufflers, and me eating the labor (again) for a failed product.

I will never install or recommend a Hooker product AGAIN.

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
Easy fix..Stop buying Hooker products and they will learn to get back on par.
By the sound of it, I doubt it.

Not to be an "azzhat", but I bought a set of the Hooker "sidemount" headers in the spring of 1977 (yes, THAT far back!!) for a '77 Trans Am that I had. Those headers were in the scrap pile within 2 summers of driving (stored the car in winter), because the collectors rusted out and fell off, right where the primary tubes and the collectors met. That set up cost me $700 back then!

Did I contact them? You bet!!! I sent them two letters, and they ignored both. NEVER bought another Hooker product
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

wow it really does seem like those cheap china made headers will work better. Terrible to hear such a quality branded name putting out sub par quality product

i will not buy a hooker product bc of this thread
Old 05-16-2011, 09:53 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

One last bump. Hopefully somebody in control of Hooker/Holley's operations see's this and makes the necessary changes. It's a shame to see the best sounding/best value catback on the market go to the toilet.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did I mention I tried 2 different sets of Hooker 1 3/4 headers...wasted countless hours taking a huge chunk out of my passenger side K-member and 3 weeks downtime ordering and both sides headers wouldn't fit?

Got a set of Pacesetter that fit like a glove and went right up on the passenger side the driver side I only had to grind down the engine tab which took all of 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: The quality of Hooker products: Where did it go?