Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from True Duals to Y and GMMG

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
you don't need cats. cats make you slower.

*AHEMsigAHEM*
Yup, as soon as I put cats back on my car was slow as hell.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
you don't need cats. cats make you slower.

*AHEMsigAHEM*
I could care less if lost .1 mph off my trap speed by putting cats on. I want the car to sound good, and not have an annoying drone/cruise RPM. I'm also trying to get rid of squeaks and rattles. A few of my friends have the mufflex exhaust, but its heavy and there is no clearance over the axle. I plan on lowering my car soon so I need all the clearance I can get.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personal experience- I ran pacesetter longtubes to a Borla catback (stock cam). I thought it sounded great, but it did have rasp. I put a 12" bullet on the I-pipe and it made the car one of the most amazing sounding exhaust setups I have ever heard! NO drone, NO rasp. I will see if I have a video of the car.

After that setup, I did the pacesetters with a Bassani true dual setup (2.5" over axle) with no cats or bullet and that setup sounded beatiful too. No rasp or, suprisingly, drone at all.

Edit: heres a video of my car with the LTs and Bassani
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzHJml4W1ys
Old 12-18-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
Yup, as soon as I put cats back on my car was slow as hell.
yeah so just take them back off

Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS
I could care less if lost .1 mph off my trap speed by putting cats on. I want the car to sound good, and not have an annoying drone/cruise RPM. I'm also trying to get rid of squeaks and rattles. A few of my friends have the mufflex exhaust, but its heavy and there is no clearance over the axle. I plan on lowering my car soon so I need all the clearance I can get.
c'mon admitt it, cats are for squares.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
This.

Without cats, the GMMG sounds like total dogshit. WITH cats, it sounds great.
FALSE!!!!!!!!

See my exhasut set up in my sig.... The key to killing the rasp in my O/R set up was my powerstick in the I pipe.. The FM did 0, zich, nada for rasp... It all came form my power stick

I'm at work, but later I will post vids with the FM and no power stick, and vids with the FM and powerstick.. HUGE difference

and gain.. I am catless
Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

^^I was wondering when you were going to chime in.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a GMMG with long tubes, ORY pipe and a Power Stick in the I pipe and it sounds really good, loud, but good!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:56 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS
Damian,

What cats would you recommend? Random technologies? When I do the exhaust this time, I want to do it right the first time so I won't have to go back and change stuff later.
I'm a big fan of Random Tech stuff, but their cats are EXPENSIVE. Expect to pay $100+ each for those.

I use a company called Flowmonster for most of my stuff. I know that sounds like some cheap rip off of Flowmasters, but they're actually very well made and CHEAP. Also, I've come to find out a LOT of other companies buy these cats for their catted Y-pipes and rebadge them.

Here's their store:
http://www.flowmonster.com/

And if you check ebay, they're even cheaper. They're selling their 3" ceramic cats on ebay for $40.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
FALSE!!!!!!!!

See my exhasut set up in my sig.... The key to killing the rasp in my O/R set up was my powerstick in the I pipe.. The FM did 0, zich, nada for rasp... It all came form my power stick

I'm at work, but later I will post vids with the FM and no power stick, and vids with the FM and powerstick.. HUGE difference

and gain.. I am catless
Get those vids up man, we all would love to hear the difference. Thanks for pointing out the powerstick. I had NO idea that chamber classics was right down the road from me in Milford, MI. I might just have to go there and have them fab me up a nice ypipe merge with cutout and resonator.

Oh and has ANYONE tried the resonator they offer on their site, I think its part#30-RES. Its a 12'' resonator similar to powerstick they off by Classic Chambered Exhaust?
Old 12-18-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a big fan of Random Tech stuff, but their cats are EXPENSIVE. Expect to pay $100+ each for those.

I use a company called Flowmonster for most of my stuff. I know that sounds like some cheap rip off of Flowmasters, but they're actually very well made and CHEAP. Also, I've come to find out a LOT of other companies buy these cats for their catted Y-pipes and rebadge them.

Here's their store:
http://www.flowmonster.com/

And if you check ebay, they're even cheaper. They're selling their 3" ceramic cats on ebay for $40.

DAMn, $40 for a ceramic cat and 3'' too! Thats not bad. Have you used these ones specifically Damian? HOw have they held up if so and did you notice any lack in SOP feel after puttin them on or have you always had a catted system? Just wanted some more info on cats because Im thinking a resonator in the Ipipe will be enough for me as my previous setup was LTs, CATLESS ypipe, cutout, magnaflow catback. Everything was stainless and it sounded very tame with the cutout closed, but once I installed my 228/232 110+4 cam and opened up the cutout, all hell broke loose. So anything will be more tame from there.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

I have LT's and a 3" Y pipe with flowmaster Merge and a GMMG with ZERO, ZERO rasp. Its no off the shelf Y either.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:39 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
DAMn, $40 for a ceramic cat and 3'' too! Thats not bad. Have you used these ones specifically Damian? HOw have they held up if so and did you notice any lack in SOP feel after puttin them on or have you always had a catted system? Just wanted some more info on cats because Im thinking a resonator in the Ipipe will be enough for me as my previous setup was LTs, CATLESS ypipe, cutout, magnaflow catback. Everything was stainless and it sounded very tame with the cutout closed, but once I installed my 228/232 110+4 cam and opened up the cutout, all hell broke loose. So anything will be more tame from there.
They haven't been out long enough to say what kind of test of time they'll pass, but I can tell you this. I've talked to the owner of that company (Flowmonster), and you'd be AMAZED how many other performance vendors use their cats, rebadge them, and mark them up as their own.

I haven't had any issues with them yet, and I've installed 20-30 of them by now at least.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 97camarozguy
^^I was wondering when you were going to chime in.
:rofl: why's that?? I just speak from personal experience
Old 12-18-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can anyone school me on the difference between the Metallic and the Ceramic Cats? I'm planning on adding two bullet cats to my Y pipe and was looking at the mufflex, but the Flowmonster look interesting now!
Old 12-18-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get those vids up man, we all would love to hear the difference. Thanks for pointing out the powerstick. I had NO idea that chamber classics was right down the road from me in Milford, MI. I might just have to go there and have them fab me up a nice ypipe merge with cutout and resonator.

Oh and has ANYONE tried the resonator they offer on their site, I think its part#30-RES. Its a 12'' resonator similar to powerstick they off by Classic Chambered Exhaust?
I will get the vids after work tonight.. Unless I can get Photobucket to load here on my work computer.... I will try again.. If not the vids will have to be after work.

Yep that is where I got my power stick from

MEDIUM POWERSTICK... 3'' IN/OUT OVERALL LENGTH 25''
Old 12-18-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

you have the exact same cam as me as far as lift and lsa... how much power did you end up making? my mods and dyno #s are in my sig.. BTW my car was dynoed using a Mustang Dyno too....
Old 12-18-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

:rofl: why's that?? I just speak from personal experience
I know. You and I talked at length about putting the power stick in the I-pipe with our GMMG. With the grain, against the grain, all that great stuff.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 97camarozguy
I know. You and I talked at length about putting the power stick in the I-pipe with our GMMG. With the grain, against the grain, all that great stuff.
holy shiit thats right.... You had the black trans am right??? I know your s/n name says camaro but I thought you had a Trans Am

yes I also installed mine against the grain too!!!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This.

Without cats, the GMMG sounds like total dogshit. WITH cats, it sounds great.
This is what I always hear, but I dont hear the rasp on mine & I got a cam & good heads too, no cats. I know what rasp & drone sound like. I had a modded GTP with bigger exhaust from headers to tips & no cat. It had plenty of both. I would post a sound clip but they hardly ever reflect the actual exhaust note.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

holy shiit thats right.... You had the black trans am right??? I know your s/n name says camaro but I thought you had a Trans Am

yes I also installed mine against the grain too!!!!!
I take it that you mean you installed the Power Stick with the exhaust flow in the opposite direction than the sticker that was marked on the bullet as the inlet. I installed mine the way that it was marked on the muffler, can you hear much of a difference with the way that you have your's installed?

Quick Reply: Going from True Duals to Y and GMMG