Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a problem with O'reilly's Idler pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a problem with O'reilly's Idler pulley?

I went to O'reilly last night after work because my belt was squeaking. It sounded like it was the tensioner pulley so I went in and got that one. After I put it on, the squeaking was still there, but it was on the other side of the engine this time. I though it was either the power steering or water pump but I decided since I was there I would try the Idler pulley. When I got O'reilly's pulley on and started it up, the belt would roll off the front of the pulley and just get the whole serpintine out of wack. Upon closer inspection, the pulley they gave me was not quite the same...it was more rounded on the inside and the covers were actually touching the inside of the bearing and rubbing on the pulley. They ordered a different one (Part #36220) but I was wondering if anyone knew a part number for this so I could make sure its right. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so no one? well has anyone had any luck with going to a parts store to replace it? I replaced mine with a 3 1/4" pulley that actually had the right shape and width it was just bigger. The parts places kept giving me the one on the A/C belt and the one they had in stock didn't fit the metal covers that go on either side of the pulley. Anyone have any input?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the 00' Regal Supercharged idler pulley # 419-603, 38009, or 45971 from Oreilley's. I was having problems with the belt jumping during WOT and was suggested this idler pulley since it is a little bigger and has a higher wall than the stock LS1 pulley. Been using it for years and have never had a problem.................

Old 12-23-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the stickies in the General Maintenance forum (actually all forums) from time to time. Save some money and re-grease the pulley bearings instead of replacing them:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=13535
Old 12-26-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need the idler for a LS1 truck, I am suprised you got it on there. I already went through this with O reilly.

Also look and make sure your power steering pump pulley is bottomed out(all the way on) This fixed mine.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced mine with one from Autozone $13, it looked so good that I repacked my old one and put it in the trunk with a wrench. lol In other words "what a piece of ****"
Old 12-27-2010, 01:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From my luck those tensioner pulleys are trash. I spend the extra cash after the belt jumping and speaking pissed me off I got a.comp cam manual adj. pulley the way a belt was made to be held in. No more squads amd no sprint to go.bad. plant to do the same on the ls going in the 240 I am helping my friend build. Manual is always.better that's why older cars didn't have stupid.belt jumping issues.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a problem with O'reilly's Idler pulley?