Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing AIR/EGR equipment ....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 05:09 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Removing AIR/EGR equipment ....

I tried searching for this but didn't find anything, maybe you guys could point me in the right direction or answer this real quick.

I found a good deal on some hooker headers and off-road y-pipe for the 01-02 LS1's ... which have no AIR / EGR provisions. What would I need to do to put them on my car? Would I be better off just using a blockoff plate(s), or removing the entire AIR/EGR system? What is involved in removing those systems and/or are there any good write-ups?

Thanks guys.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
I tried searching for this but didn't find anything, maybe you guys could point me in the right direction or answer this real quick.

I found a good deal on some hooker headers and off-road y-pipe for the 01-02 LS1's ... which have no AIR / EGR provisions. What would I need to do to put them on my car? Would I be better off just using a blockoff plate(s), or removing the entire AIR/EGR system? What is involved in removing those systems and/or are there any good write-ups?

Thanks guys.
you are much better off puting a block off plate at the top of the intake manifold for the egr and just removing both of them. its just a matter of following the lines and unbolting the components. the air on my 01 had lots of rubber hoses that you can just yank out of there to make the engine bay look much nicer. plus the motor just comes out from underneath the driverside front end. just remove the 3or4 bolts that hold the plastic up and there it is. and i asume you know to just get the programs deleted by ls1 edit.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:38 PM

Yeah I know how to get the codes deleted .... so the only places the EGR/AIR systems connect to the engine is at the top of the intake manifold, and on the headers?? There are no other connections?
Old 02-08-2004, 05:40 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yup, just the intake and exhaust connections.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks much better gone and less hassles. I had exhaust leaks since the AIR tubes didn't match up with the headers so I just took all that junk out.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Yeah I know how to get the codes deleted .... so the only places the EGR/AIR systems connect to the engine is at the top of the intake manifold, and on the headers?? There are no other connections?
just some mounting places but no other functional places.
you will need a 15mm wrench to get the the air bracket loose from the back of the driverside head. have fun.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:51 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
just some mounting places but no other functional places.
you will need a 15mm wrench to get the the air bracket loose from the back of the driverside head. have fun.
the 98-99 air system is different, nothing is bolted to the back of the head, you just unbolt the tubes from the manifolds and snake the tubes around till there free then unbolt the pump
Old 02-08-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jrp
the 98-99 air system is different, nothing is bolted to the back of the head, you just unbolt the tubes from the manifolds and snake the tubes around till there free then unbolt the pump
well arent yall special that was the hardest part.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by jrp
Ah, that's simple then ... it looks like a huge deal to take out.

Anyone sell the blockoff plate for the EGR (good thing I just got the LS6 intake with the EGR provision a few months ago) ...
Old 02-08-2004, 07:08 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70

this is what i followed to for !air/!egr during my header install. if your refering to block of plates for the headers you can buy some from pace parts or make your own. i bought a pair from a member who used to make them but i lost one during my head install so i just used a piece of old head gasket and some rtv and its fine. to block off the intake i bought a block off plate from the same member but you can use a freezer plug from autozone, dont remember the exact size off hand.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:07 AM

Great, thanks guys.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thunder racing sells them too.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Question

OK! I have all stock equipment. Just started throwing codes about the AIR system.(PO412, PO418) I hate the SES light...HATE IT!!! I used to drive a Ford Taurus SHO and I saw that little yellow light come on waaaayyy too many times. Anyway, I went ahead and replaced the relay in the engine bay for the AIR pump . I'm thinking if it fixed it, so be it...and if not...It's not that big of problem and I wanna get rid of that damned yellow SES light. Basically, I'm wondering if it would hurt to drive a stocker Z around without these two systems while I'm waiting for headers and ORY(which may not come for a year or so). Taking the AIR and EGR off won't be a detriment to the performance of my car will it? I don't care if I mess the catalytic converters up, I don't plan on having them later down the road anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Justin
Old 02-18-2004, 10:38 PM
Teching In

You wont mess up anything by taking the systems out,i know the air is used to just warm up your cats faster. i deleted both systems during my engine swap and got them deleted. didnt effect performance at all, but the engine bay doesnt look so cluttered.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Id get a 1 3/8" freeze plug for the EGR hole in the intake.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

quick question the vaccum hose on the top of the solenoid on the back of the drivers side intake. the vaccum hose is about 2-3 inches long and one end plugs to the solenoid and where does the other end plug????? i am asking cause i pulled mine out and pulled this hose out and cant find where to plug it back at and its causing a vaccum leak.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:21 AM
11 Second Club

Can predator (rwtd) the air?
Old 08-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I hate to bring this old thread up, but I had my air system turned thru tuning yseterday, I now wanna rip the crop out. my car is a 2001, other thna the block off plates for the headers, and a plug for the slp air lid opening, what else do I need? And what's this about a 15 mm socket, is there a bracket that's bolted up somewhere I don't know about, or are teh hoses just sitting in there? if anyone's got more info on this, fill me in.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

I'm also wanting to tear all of this out but I'm wondering, what software can I use to turn off this stuff in the pcm? I've seen ls1 edit mentioned, would hp tuners be able to do it? I've been looking at that since it seems to be the favorite on here.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

can you take the egr and air out and not delete the codes will there be any problems i probably will later on but i wouldnt be able to delete the codes for a while if i did so would that hurt the car at all? thanks