Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underdrive help, stocker came apart!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underdrive help, stocker came apart!

Hey guys, cam only LS1. Made a 2-3 pull the other day, heard some nasty noises, and ended up finding part of my crank pulley on the side of the road! Here's some pics for your viewing pleasure.

So now I need a new one. ATI makes a 60% underdrive pulley. Is this too much? Would I need a new alternator pulley with that underdrive or not? FYI it's ATI part number 916097. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No way the ati 60% is really made for track cars only none of your accessories would spin fast enough with it on. With that said the most u should really go with a pulley is 25% which are usually powerbonds, bbk, summit, asp and theres a couple more I'm probably missing all of those are abt $200. I have an ati and the underdrive they make for an fbody is 10% however the damper is a better quality than the cheaper ones so it frees up just as much or more than the 25% counterparts ati is also one of the ONLY REAL harmonic dampers. However ati's are also $450-500 I paid 215 shipped for mine though, if you go on shmeebay and type in "ati super damper" look for a seller selling pulleys for around 200 and the seller will actually be aticustomercare they are scratched and dent pulleys, mine came with the timing marks mismarked however at less than half price its ok with me. Usaully they dont have the exact pulley we need which is 917276 listed so just ask them in one of their other listings atleast a few of us on here have done it.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Awesome info!! Thanks!

Refresh my memory, what are the timing marks for on the LS1 crank pulley? I didn't think there was any reason for those on the pulley. :?:
Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To be perfectly honest idk what the point of them is either other than they look kinda cool. I guess if you ever converted the car to a distributor system youd need them then.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Gotcha. Or maybe some aftermarket cranks? I dunno. Don't really care either way because I don't need it lol.