Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing driver's side coil pack

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default removing driver's side coil pack

I have to take off the drivers side coil pack, which I haven't done before. I'm stuck on getting that bracket in the back to clear the stud, if you've done this you know what I mean. I've read all the posts about it, saying the bracket's also bolted to the back of the head with a 15mm bolt, but I can't reach that bolt. I'm wondering if the stud can just be unscrewed from the valve cover, like with a vice grip, or maybe two nuts threaded against each other. Are those studs just screwed in to the valve covers, or welded in, or superglued, or what? I don't want to mash it up unless there's a chance it will come out.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

quit being a girl, roll your sleeves up and get that bolt out. its not easy but is it by no means hard.ratcheting wrench works well for this
Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

If you don't draw blood, you're doing something wrong.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it wasnt too hard when i got mine out. seems like you have huge hands take a break n try again later...huge room we got in there
Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patSS/00
I have to take off the drivers side coil pack, which I haven't done before. I'm stuck on getting that bracket in the back to clear the stud, if you've done this you know what I mean. I've read all the posts about it, saying the bracket's also bolted to the back of the head with a 15mm bolt, but I can't reach that bolt. I'm wondering if the stud can just be unscrewed from the valve cover, like with a vice grip, or maybe two nuts threaded against each other. Are those studs just screwed in to the valve covers, or welded in, or superglued, or what? I don't want to mash it up unless there's a chance it will come out.
On my vette they are one piece stud/nut

Just take your time , And don't scratch the car lol

Quick Reply: removing driver's side coil pack