Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK headers and y pipe with stock slp dual/duals a ok idea or bad?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK headers and y pipe with stock slp dual/duals a ok idea or bad?

Is BBK headers and y pipe with stock slp dual/duals a good or bad idea on my 01 camaro ss? Just thinking about doing this would like the input of other how may have done this before.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't think so. I have seen the BBK header/y pipe setup it is pretty nice. The Y pipe is a good design and shouldn't promote rasp since it is more of a y setup than ramming one side of the exhaust into the other like older Y pipes. The dual dual catback may be alittle quieter than you are "expecting" after a LT Y pipe install so IMO I would throw a cutout in there for good measure. With that whole setup I think you will be happy.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:07 PM

ok i will look into the cutout thanks.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, hold off on the cut-out/s until you know how you like it w/LT headers & ORY pipes. If it's still not loud enough for you consider dual 2.5" electric cut-outs in the y-pipe.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Just want to say how much I recommend the BBK longtube headers. I installed them yesterday. My first set of headers, but I've helped several friends put them in and these were by far the easiest ever. My car being so clean underneath helped but the BBKs slid right in with no modifications to anything. Didn't remove the oil filter, steering shaft, notch the K-member, nothing. I can't say how they compare to others performance-wise, but the install couldn't have been easier.

The Y-pipe that comes with this kit was the right length, but it isn't beveled or expanded to meet up with the I, so you'll want to have a band clamp on hand to mate those, unless you're having it welded up.

I have a TSP rumbler exhaust and just from firing it up in the garage (car won't hit the road for another couple months, winter sucks) to me, I think it's going to be too loud for me. If loud is what you want, I recommend the rumbler, or the SLP LM which is very similar. Not raspy, actually sounds great, just LOUD.

Edited to add video: BBK longtubes, ORY and TSP Rumbler. We'll see when I actually drive the car, but yeah... May be a little too much!

http://www.fquick.com/videos/Header_install/10111

Last edited by nmbr5ml; 01-24-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Add video clip
Old 01-23-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Quiet catback and a cutout is the way to go!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBK headers and y pipe with stock slp dual/duals a ok idea or bad?