Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to LQ4 Swap - Assistance needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 to LQ4 Swap - Assistance needed

I have had a nightmarish experience purchasing my 98 TA from a dealer now out of business in NJ. I will save you from all of the details, but I have a very loud tapping in my engine. I found out after my purchase, in the process of fixing all of the other issues, that the dealership rebuilt the engine in house and never posted on carfax.

To save myself the headache of fixing this issue only to find another issue a couple months from now, I was able to come across an LQ4 for a good price.

I will admit that I bought a car regarding more of a knowledge base than I have, but it has been a good learning experience through all I've fixed myself using this site. I have a friend that works in a body shop and is capable of making the swap but is not familiar with the details. This is where I hope this great community can help.

I know the LQ4 is almost a direct swap. I'm pretty sure I will have to swap my intake so it fits under the hood and obviously a tune. Can I use my TA computer or will I need a flash/piggyback? Are all other accessories compatible? Can you please advise of anything else I will need to modify/purchase in order to complete the swap? Also, if you could please advise of anything I might want to do while the engine is out. This has come after a year of issues so I do not have a large budget at this time.

I appreciate your assistance and advice.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Teching In

It looks like one of my biggest issues is going to be the PCM and wiring harness. I had planned on using my stock 98, but looks like I should try to find 99+? Can you please confirm if this is the case for my swap?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send a PM to the merv here on tech. He has done a swap in his 95 z. check it out here:https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...to-95-z28.html
lots of good info, he is very helpful.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

It's a direct swap, I've done it in my car. Just use the sensors from your old engine and the computer and harness will work fine, even if it is a 98. Some of the LQ4/LQ9s like mine need a hole drilled and tapped in the front of the block for the alternator bracket, this is not a big deal. Swap the intake like you said, and the oil pan, windage tray, pick-up tube, its very straightforward.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
It's a direct swap, I've done it in my car. Just use the sensors from your old engine and the computer and harness will work fine, even if it is a 98. Some of the LQ4/LQ9s like mine need a hole drilled and tapped in the front of the block for the alternator bracket, this is not a big deal. Swap the intake like you said, and the oil pan, windage tray, pick-up tube, its very straightforward.
Yup essentially you are using just the block with internals everything else is your ls guts.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Great. Thanks everyone. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I've got a couple of pm's..been so damn busy I haven't had a chance to check them out, I will tho.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad ***. I'll be doing this swap in a few wks!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Teching In

will the car be drivable with the stock ls1 tune?

Quick Reply: LS1 to LQ4 Swap - Assistance needed