Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help!! must read asap!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!! must read asap!!

I just installed some new slp headers on pipe and high flow cats..I also have straight pipes..I got the car today and after i finished putting gas..the service engine light came out I checked almost everything and it seems to be good and tight..what can it be??
Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You need to hook it up to a code puller and see what its throwing.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the codes checked? Did you have rear o2 sensors or simulators. If you don't have those it could be something like that. If the car runs normal and doesn't sound like it's misfiring or anything take it to a car parts store they should have a reader
Old 01-28-2011, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll need an OBDII Code Reader to know for sure which Codes caused the PCM to light up the SES light.

During installation did you reinstall or delete the Rear O2 Sensors?

If you reinstalled them, they are now monitoring the performance of the new High-Flow Cats which are not nearly as efficient as the Factory Cats so the O2's believe your cats are no longer performing up to snuff and you probably have a PO420 Code. Insufficient Catalyst Performance.

If the Rear O2's were removed, your PCM is no longer receiving a signal from them and believes they have failed. I believe its Codes PO140 & PO160?

The best thing about any of the codes having to do with the Rear O2's is they do not adversely affect engine performance.

So you can either deal with the SES light on your Gage Cluster or you can purchase an Aftermarket Tune (either Dyno or Mail-Order) and have your rear O2's shut off, thus eliminating the SES light.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Yes I reinstalled the O2 sensors and made sure they were good..but i think it migjt just be a sensors
So even if i have the light on..its not going to affect my car?
Oh and I think my car is running too lean since it tries to turn off when its on
Old 01-28-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why you have a service engine light:

If you reinstalled them, they are now monitoring the performance of the new High-Flow Cats which are not nearly as efficient as the Factory Cats so the O2's believe your cats are no longer performing up to snuff and you probably have a PO420 Code. Insufficient Catalyst Performance.

It's running lean because you need to tune the motor for the added exhaust flow. When you get it tuned you need to have them disable the O2 sensors from reporting, this will eliminate the service engine light. And it's not ok to drive your car since its running lean, you can damage the motor.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks!