Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get rid of rasp with Corsa/no cats

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
You sound like an idiot. Do yourself a favor and stop posting.
How about not.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

The longer Vibrant bullet style resonator will work better than the 5" vibrant bullet muffler because the longer the muffler is the more resonance it will reduce. I am putting a 12" vibrant resonator in front of my corsa to quiet down the rasp a bit. Although I have heard that those vibrant 5" mufflers make a slp loudmouth sound really good when welded on indvidually before the tips. Just food for thought.

I already have a corsa so I am going with on 12" vibrant resonator on the y-pipe after the merge, but if I was doing it from stock I would definitely go SLP loudmouth plus two 5" bullets before tips.

$349 plus $99 for two bullets $49 ea. equal an awesome sounding cat back for the money.

And again, Corsa mufflers suck and the baffles break off and rattle to hell inside the mufflers, but Corsa will replace the muffler for free as long as you have your invoice and are the original owner of the system. The problem is the price... $1200... really???

Vibrant makes nice/cheap SS resonators and mufflers. They make these bullets style resonators in 12" and 18" in various diameters.

Here is a pic of the 12" 3" in/out 4" total diameter that I ordered.

Last edited by FirebirdTransAm; 02-02-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Get the Flowmaster Merge, if u look up a thread on here by Patrick G he did abunch of testing on custom catbacks he did and the Flowmaster Merge helped the most.. The rasp problem is when the y merge comes together on most y-pipes, the drivers pipe coming straight head on into the flow of the passenger pipe and has to do a hard 90* into the airflow of the passenger pipe, which causes alot of the rasp!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FirebirdTransAm
The longer Vibrant bullet style resonator will work better than the 5" vibrant bullet muffler because the longer the muffler is the more resonance it will reduce. I am putting a 12" vibrant resonator in front of my corsa to quiet down the rasp a bit. Although I have heard that those vibrant 5" mufflers make a slp loudmouth sound really good when welded on indvidually before the tips. Just food for thought.

I already have a corsa so I am going with on 12" vibrant resonator on the y-pipe after the merge, but if I was doing it from stock I would definitely go SLP loudmouth plus two 5" bullets before tips.

$349 plus $99 for two bullets $49 ea. equal an awesome sounding cat back for the money.

And again, Corsa mufflers suck and the baffles break off and rattle to hell inside the mufflers, but Corsa will replace the muffler for free as long as you have your invoice and are the original owner of the system. The problem is the price... $1200... really???

Vibrant makes nice/cheap SS resonators and mufflers. They make these bullets style resonators in 12" and 18" in various diameters.

Here is a pic of the 12" 3" in/out 4" total diameter that I ordered.

I thought about that after I posted and had decided on the twelve inch bullet because I am trying to quiet it down a notch.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by n20kid
Get the Flowmaster Merge, if u look up a thread on here by Patrick G he did abunch of testing on custom catbacks he did and the Flowmaster Merge helped the most.. The rasp problem is when the y merge comes together on most y-pipes, the drivers pipe coming straight head on into the flow of the passenger pipe and has to do a hard 90* into the airflow of the passenger pipe, which causes alot of the rasp!
I'll Google the Flowmaster merge to see where to get one.Any idea where to get one?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
could put some kind of h pipe or x pipe in it before the y part of the merge, thats what I did and it got rid of 100% of the rasp with lt's and no cats. PM me for details.
Very interesting....care to disclose details?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Personally i would run a dynomax bullet. I have one in my magnaflow with my catback in the i-pipe and i would say the rasp is 98% gone, plus it added to the tone and it sounds deeper. I am not sure a lm1 resonator will take away all the rasp.
Have any videos? I do have magnaflow and soon will be adding LPP LT's and ORY next month. Pictures also?

PM me them so I dont clog this topic up

Last edited by DeLaRosa25; 02-02-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Very interesting....care to disclose details?
sure, but I dont have any way to show pics, damn me... Alright, It first started off hooker lt's with tsp oryp with hooker cb. It was a little raspy at part throttle between lets say 1800 and 2800rpm when accelerating through 2nd and on up in the gears. Now what I did was order a stamped ( like magnaflow ) type xpipe. It was identical except just more compact in size but still 3" in and out. I was "Jones" brand according to the warehouse supplier. I also ordered a stamped y merge. I cut the merge off the tsp pipe and threw it in the trash as it would not be used again. BTW it was the new improved design they now sell. I welded the x onto where the original y was and then just added the aftermarked y onto the end of the x. They fit right together as far as spacing between the exhaust pipes. I hope evryone can understand what Im saying so far. Now since I added an x and a y where the original y was the overall length is about 6-10 inches longer and the catback needed some cutoff. I simply cut off however much was needed to make the overall length right so that the muffler was still in the same position. I had to adjust the tailpipes and tips accordingly. It got rid of 100% of the rasp and was actually a little quieter than the original ypipe and cb. I personally believe it was the x that eliminated the rasp much like td's do and not necessarily the ypipe I bought to go on the end. The y was just a way to get it hooked back up to the single 3in pipe that goes over the axle. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: How to get rid of rasp with Corsa/no cats