Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How restrictive is the factory dual-dual?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How restrictive is the factory dual-dual?

I have a bone stock 2001 SS. It has the factory SLP dual-dual exhaust. I'm thinking if putting on the TSP headers and catted y combo and mating it up to the factory dual dual catback to save some green. Or would I just be better getting an aftermarket catback since it would be louder and more effecient.

I'm also considering keeping the dual dual but having a shop weld in a louder and more efficient muffler since I'm guessing if there is a restriction in the dual dual it's likely the muffler and not so much the pipes themselves.

One last question, will the factory catback bolt right up to the TSP header and y pipe without much fabbing, is it a straight bolt in? Anyone try this combo?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory slp dual dual exhaust?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dual-dual catback is known as one of the best catbacks around for our cars. There's no muffler you could put in its place that will flow any better.

If you want it louder just get an electric cutout either welded into the I-pipe or dual cutouts in the Y-pipe.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had thr SLP dual dual and trust me, once you put headers on it'll get loud. That muffler isn't a crossflow either, it's straight through. It'll be hard to get noticable gains from switching to another 3" muffler. Even though it's stock, it flows pretty damn well.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

mine came with a DD and its one part i never changed.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
I had thr SLP dual dual and trust me, once you put headers on it'll get loud. That muffler isn't a crossflow either, it's straight through. It'll be hard to get noticable gains from switching to another 3" muffler. Even though it's stock, it flows pretty damn well.
Thanks!! I had heard it was decent but didn't realize it was as good as other aftermarket catbacks. With that in mind, I'll plan on keeping the dual dual. It isn't a loud system now but I'm guessing that has a lot to do with the factory headers and cats.

Now how about fitment of headers and a catted y? I'm thinking the TSP catted Y and Pacesetter combo. Will that bolt right up in my garage or will it take any fabbing to get it to fit to the dual dual?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have KOOKS and high flow cats. everything hooks up and sounds great.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had QTP headers, ORY, the a cat'd y. They all hooked up well. I don't have any experiance with the TSP stuff, but I've heard you need to cut a little bit off the end of the Y to get it to fit.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i have KOOKS and high flow cats. everything hooks up and sounds great.
Thanks for the info!!! You guys are awesome. Sounds like I can keep my factory dual-dual catback, add headers and a catted Y and have my exhaust done for about $650 (with TSP). I imagine Kooks will be more, I'll price that out now.

Then onto gears, shift kit and a stall. I gotta win the lottery...
Old 01-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the only catback I'll go back to from my bassani true duals.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MurphyTex
Thanks for the info!!! You guys are awesome. Sounds like I can keep my factory dual-dual catback, add headers and a catted Y and have my exhaust done for about $650 (with TSP). I imagine Kooks will be more, I'll price that out now.

Then onto gears, shift kit and a stall. I gotta win the lottery...
I just did exactly what you're trying to do so hopefully I can give some good input. I have an '02 hawk with the same catback as yours, and I asked the same question and got the same answer-keep it. I thought the same as you did, that it needed to be upgraded.. but as it turns out this catback is apparently the Chuck Norris of catbacks, which is nice cause that saves you another ~$500. For the headers and y-pipe I went with Hooker painted headers (paid I think $240 shipped new) and a TSP catted Y. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten a set of eBay stainless headers cause mine are already flaking and I haven't driven the car 100 miles yet with the headers on. The eBay's wouldve been cheaper, too. Please learn from my mistake and don't get painted!! As for the TSP catted y.. for $350 I expected much better. It fit like **** hooked up to the headers. I had to expand part of one of the pipes for it to even fit over my driver side header.. terrible. I also had to unbolt a small catback support bolt (on the passenger side of the CB) to push it back so that the y-pipe would fit correctly. I definitely wouldn't reccomend the TSP y from my experience, but unfortunately that's pretty much all there is when it comes to catted Y's unless you're gonna do a custom job. Also be prepared to spend about $50 in band clamps cause the ones that come with the TSP y are garbage.

Either way good luck with it. If you do go with the above mentioned parts, the car will get slightly louder but not by alot IMO. More engine noise with the headers but additional exhaust noise is minimal with this header/y/catback setup IMO.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ If I went with the ARH or Kooks headers -- is it worth it too get them ceramic coated? If so, I assume only internally, correct?
Old 01-30-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some good reading: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html

starts to talk about the dual/dual muffler at post #9.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep it! I personally think the slp dual/dual and slp 2 on the left catbacks are the best sounding, flowing, and quiet catbacks for these cars. Get yourself an electric cutout for when you want loud.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Launching!

SLP dual/dual here.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This isn't the Dual-Dual, but shows a Borla compared to a stock Z28 exhaust -- nice pic:

Quick Reply: How restrictive is the factory dual-dual?