Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resonated exhaust tips....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any power loss from the tips compared to regular tips?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Highly doubt the tips will effect the power.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I didn't have tips on my TSP Rumbler catback fro the LONGEST time. I actually grabbed a set of resonated/baffled tips from Checkers and put them on a couple years ago. There was a definite difference. It shut the exhaust up quite a bit! I think most of it was just the fact that it moved the noise farther back on the car. It helped kill a lot of the rasp on normal driving. On WOT anything passes through a wide open exhaust and it'll get by.

Were those the "Spectre" tips you bought? About 30 dollars each?

I'm thinking about trying a set of resonated tips before doing anything like adding a muffler or different exhaust. The drone in the 50-60 mph range is a little too much and it's getting old. There was drone even with stock manifolds and cats, now with headers and ORY it's a distraction. Hoping something like this will make it a bit more manageable.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

^ They may have been. Not sure. The car's at the tuner's this week, so I can't go out and check.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I didn't have tips on my TSP Rumbler catback fro the LONGEST time. I actually grabbed a set of resonated/baffled tips from Checkers and put them on a couple years ago. There was a definite difference. It shut the exhaust up quite a bit! I think most of it was just the fact that it moved the noise farther back on the car. It helped kill a lot of the rasp on normal driving. On WOT anything passes through a wide open exhaust and it'll get by.
That's interesting. So following that same idea, it's safe to say a set of the right tips on say a LM2 would have the same effect?

I really want a LM2, but I'm afraid of getting drone from it.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
That's interesting. So following that same idea, it's safe to say a set of the right tips on say a LM2 would have the same effect?

I really want a LM2, but I'm afraid of getting drone from it.
I don't know how similar the LM2 resonator is to the bullet on the TSP Rumbler, but I definitely got drone when I was stock except the Volant intake and added the Rumbler. I still have the drone with headers and ORY but I think it's less noticeable because the car is so loud throughout the rpm range. Stock with the Rumbler catback, the drone was very annoying.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

^ The TSP rumbler are Dynomax bullet muffler(s). Basically glass-packs or a Dynomax version of a Cherry-bomb. The LM1 is just an open chamber. Not much in there. The LM2 is still straight through, but I think it has a bit more "glass-pack" to it. Not sure since I've never dealt with it other than over the net and seeing cutaway pics.

And the tips won't make the same difference as a different muffler would, but it does help kill some drone. But then again, I initially didn't have ANY tips. I was just surprised at the difference it made.

LM1

LM2

TSP Rumbler. When I got mine it looked a lot bigger than I expected it to be. I think the Muffler on here is longer than the LM1/2.
(Google pic)

Last edited by bayer-z28; 04-25-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lm2 sounds great with stock manis or LTs and cats.

I have the dynomax system now with the dynomax bullet and there is more drone and the tone is deeper than with the LM2.

Lots of people swear by resonated tips.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

I got those aforementioned bolt-on tips. They look a little dorky to me, but not too bad. Maybe I'm just not used to them. The amount of difference it made in sound though, is amazing. The drone is still there at roughly 50-65 mph, but it's much quieter, like I could talk on the phone or to the person sitting next to me without raising my voice. The part-throttle acceleration rasp is still there too, but again, much more manageable. Wide open throttle is still extremely loud; don't think there was any difference there, and that's OK too. Overall I think this was exactly what I was looking for. Still a lot louder than stock, but not to the point of annoying.

Thanks Bayer-Z28 for sharing the tip!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Finally a video

Here is a video after the aforementioned tip was installed. Sorry it took so long my life is hectic. Setup is Pacesetter ceramic LT's, TD's, X-pipe, hi-flow cats, and 2 LM1's. Let me know what you guys think.

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/...1.mp4&newest=1
Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Really no opinions on the video?????

Quick Reply: Resonated exhaust tips....