Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Shorty Header Peak HP
less than 500
71.43%
500-600
0%
600-700
14.29%
700 +
14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Shorty Header HP Poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shorty Header HP Poll

Not trying to start any wars. We all know LT's make more power. There are many of us for varying reasons that have few options when it comes to headers and passing SMOG checks.

On the Dyno my setup maxes out at 650HP / 625TQ @ 5600 RPM, boost still builds to redline (6500) but HP flatlines. There has been much speculation as to why, so in an effort to narrow down the actual cause I thought I would gather as much real world data as possible. I am starting to think the 1 5/8th primaries on my JBA shorties simply have reached their limit on CFM capacity???

Please check your HP range, and feel free to post up your setup.

Last edited by b727pic; 02-16-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldnt you just go with a catted y pipe?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Couldnt you just go with a catted y pipe?
Not familiar with "y" pipe setups? I currently have dual 2.5" running through Cat-less mids, and Magnaflow catback. Previously I had a Corsa Touring on my old 408 setup, had the same issue. The magnaflow, outflows the Corsa setup by quite abit, yet here I am with the same issue. If its in the exhaust, its got to be the manifolds themselves.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh gotcha I didnt realize that, couldn't you put preformance cats in the mids then? What im getting at is yeah LTs are going to get rid of the "weak link" specialy in your case! If its due to emissions couldnt cats somewhere in the exhaust be enough for you to get LTs, pass, and solve your problem?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Oh gotcha I didnt realize that, couldn't you put preformance cats in the mids then? What im getting at is yeah LTs are going to get rid of the "weak link" specialy in your case! If its due to emissions couldnt cats somewhere in the exhaust be enough for you to get LTs, pass, and solve your problem?
Not legally. The visual inspections here in Cali mandate OEM placement of the CATS. Plenty of catted LT's systems available, I just don't want to have to deal with possible road side inspections, and removing them every two years (Im an old fart). Hence my dilema!!! nothing wrong with 650HP on a quasi smog legal setup, I just know my setup has more in it
Old 02-17-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You just said you had shorties with cats, then you have catless mids? Honestly being that I live in CA unless you are being stupid you wont get bothered and if you have cats even if they aren't in the right place. Yes the shorties are definitely holding you back. If you have mids what you can do for a little more power is port the primaries (assuming you have MAC mids) and cut off the flange and have a v band clamp welded on to it. That way you could run dual 3 inch midpipes to a good y merge to the catback
Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
You just said you had shorties with cats, then you have catless mids?
Currently the car is running Cat-less JBA 2.5" midpipes for the tuning process only. I have burned up two sets of CATS over the last few years, between rich AFR's and high CFM the CATS just were not holding up. Once tuned I have a new set of CATS ready to be installed. So once the tuning is done (almost done) then I will be back to a CATTED setup.....sorry for any confusion.

Honestly being that I live in CA unless you are being stupid you wont get bothered and if you have cats even if they aren't in the right place. Yes the shorties are definitely holding you back. If you have mids what you can do for a little more power is port the primaries (assuming you have MAC mids) and cut off the flange and have a v band clamp welded on to it. That way you could run dual 3 inch midpipes to a good y merge to the catback
Nope....JBA, mods are in my sig. I have thought about the V band setup though. just not sure how effective that would be,if in fact its the primary tube that is the source of the bottle neck?

The whole point of this thread is to see how far shorty headers have been pushed to succesfully
Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question of power limits, but JBA has 1 3/4 primaries for the vette, but none for the Fbody or GTO as far as I know, no one does. It would seem like a guy could get pretty creative with a custom set or adapted vette headers with a CARB plate tacked on then recoated. (but that would just be wrong ) Could you get a custom grind cam for your exact situation to squeeze more out of it?

Quick Reply: Shorty Header HP Poll