Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP LT install.... need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP LT install.... need help!

Hey guys, either TSPs 1 7/8 LTs are a **** design or i am doing some thing wrong. Pass side in no prob. Driver side is a ******* NIGHTMARE!

As of now, i have the coil packs off, the steering shaft off, and the drivers side motor mount off.... they WILL NOT fit. IS there anything else i need to remove? As of now it's hitting between the head and the inner fender, the damn things are to fat to fit through. I am at my ropes end, and am ready to hit **** with a hammer.... any advice would be VERY much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Its just the nature of the beast. from what I hear all headers are rough to get in on the drivers side. Do you have the car jacked up? You need to have bot the front and the back of the car jacked up about as high as you can get it sitting on jackstands. that usually helps if you have not done that
Old 03-19-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not to be rude...but are you coming up from the bottom with them (assuming because you removed steering linkage) but just checking. Maybe some pics of what is getting caught up?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Their headers are some of the best I have used. Took me approximately 30 minutes to install mine, but that was in my truck. F-body headers fit perfect.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i spent 2 DAYS trying to install the drivers side.......finally the light bulb went off......removed the motor mount AND pedestal.......went in in 2 SECONDS
Old 03-19-2011, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hooker lt's were in less time than stock manis took to remove without removing anything. In driveway on jackstands to boot. Minor grindage on drivers k member to fit.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the oil pan drain plug on the drivers side? i dont remember off the top of my head. but when i put my TSP headers on i didnt have to remove any motor mounts, pedestals, or the steering knuckle. just the drain plug and it went right in.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
is the oil pan drain plug on the drivers side? i dont remember off the top of my head. but when i put my TSP headers on i didnt have to remove any motor mounts, pedestals, or the steering knuckle. just the drain plug and it went right in.
I thought it was the oil filter that had to be removed sometimes. I didnt have to in my case though...
Old 03-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Launching!

I have tried both bottom and top...

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i spent 2 DAYS trying to install the drivers side.......finally the light bulb went off......removed the motor mount AND pedestal.......went in in 2 SECONDS
I did not take the pedestal off... I will try that next.

Thanks for all the replys guys, I'm going to get at it again either later tonight, or tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JetMech99
Hey guys, either TSPs 1 7/8 LTs are a **** design or i am doing some thing wrong. Pass side in no prob. Driver side is a ******* NIGHTMARE!

As of now, i have the coil packs off, the steering shaft off, and the drivers side motor mount off.... they WILL NOT fit. IS there anything else i need to remove? As of now it's hitting between the head and the inner fender, the damn things are to fat to fit through. I am at my ropes end, and am ready to hit **** with a hammer.... any advice would be VERY much appreciated, thanks in advance.
THIS. ^ I removed the oil filter, steering shaft, and driver side motor mount and pedestal, jacked the motor up about as high as I could get it and the header slid right in. Good luck man. The gains will be worth it. I was very pissed, as you are now with the install, but for the price you will not get better gains.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

I was installing my TSP headers and got the passenger side in no problem and then spent about 5 minutes trying to work the drivers side in before I quit for the night..from what I could tell it was the oil filter that was getting in the way..I might try to finish putting them in tonight if I have time
Old 03-19-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

are you hitting the tab on the engine like my pacesetters were?

If so all I did was grind it down some..header went right up.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Man, all the replys I have gotten.... what a great community! I have not yet tried to install it... busy day today. But I will take all of your suggestions and put them to work tomorrow. Sorry if the OP sounds a little bitchy lol..... was a rough night. Once again, thank you to all who have helped, you guys have been great! Hopefully I'll have a sound clip to share tomorrow!

-Nate
Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Well the last guy who owned the car had the catback welded together... and that is now screwing me. with the Y-pipe in, the catback is to long to re attach to the rear hangers... i'm going to have to take it to a shop tomorrow and have them hack a section of the catback off to make it all line up again. This thing is fighting me every step of the way!

And the answer to getting the driver side was taking the motor mount pedestal and clamshell off completely, she slid right in at that point
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Starting from untouched manifolds 2 putting my tsp 17/8 on took about eight hours finished . Firstt time putting headers on an f-body, I had to take take motor mount loose steering shaft off and oil filter and slid right in at an awkward angle. BuTtoning back up was cinch catback went out further but big hammer and redneck rigging got it in. Very pleased with the gains
Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

this.