Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 oil pan questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 oil pan questions...

I had to replace the transmission on my 98 T/A cause it tanked on me. I figured that with the tranny out I would replace some of the leaking seals. During the reassembly and installation of the oil pan, the driver's side rear corner(by the oil filter area) cracked. It was a small piece, just outside of the bolt hole. Needless to say, I didn't think that it was going to be a big deal. Boy was I wrong. I got the engine fired up, and after running for about 2 minutes I heard a pop followed by the sound of pressurized oil hitting the shop floor. Needless to say, it's leaking oil from the section where it was cracked. I found the part number of the oil pan GM 12628771, and when I run it through GM parts direct I get a price of $175.67 for it. Is this right? I searched for LS1 oil pans and these go for some serious bank, and I am not sure if $175 is right. The oil pan on my car is the factory pan, and I have seen on the net that the newer factory pans are updated and you need to install a different windage tray and dipstick tube. Is this correct, or can I just buy this pan and install it as is? Any info on this would be most helpful. Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds right, and thats really not too bad, a stamped steel pan for a sbc runs around a 100 for a decent one. Ours are cast aluminum. Might try your local craigslist, or parts yard, find one, remove the baffle clean it up put the baffle back in and install.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick reply!! I am still unsure as to what route I want to take. I have scoured the classifides section as well as ebay and everyone selling these pans want $225+ for them. I don't get it, do they think that these things are made out of solid gold? Don't know why somebody would spend that kind of money on a USED pan when they can buy a new pan from GM for the same price or cheaper. It is baffling me. I'm hoping to find a used one cheaper than that and I would really like to spend only about $100 plus shipping. So far, I haven't found any in that price range.