Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Leak Squealing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Leak Squealing?

Just finally got my exhaust up and on first run it started squealing, almost as though it is a belt squeal. But the belts aren't squealing. It appears as though it's coming from under the car.

After a few moments of the car running, the squealing stops, but upon revving it starts again until the revving stops.

With open headers, the squeal did not exist.

I'm using accuseal clamps and have them as tightened as I could with a 3/8" drive. However, it appears as though the top portion isn't completely pulling in to the metal spacer.

http://www.mpracing.org/store/images...seal_clamp.jpg

Somewhat hard to explain, but could it be from the clamps not being fully tightened?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

seems something is probably loose.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

That's all I can think of. I don't have any mounts for it fabbed up yet. So the only thing that I can think of it being are the clamps.

Guess I'm gonna bring out the bigger wrenches tomorrow and try to pull the clamps in tighter.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that or hangers if your used them or depending on how loud it is vibration causing something else down there to squeel. If i were you first thing just re tighten everything like your planning, hopefully that will fix it right off the bat.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Alright, well I found the problem... Open o2 sensor plug. Capped it off and it's fine.

Got it all put together and DAMN is it loud. Not only loud but I have about a half inch of ground clearance. Back to stock springs I go.

Perhaps I have a leak at the driver header... I deinotely smell exhaust fumes and need to drive with the windows down. Maybe that's how duals just are?

The backfire I get is just an added bonus to going deaf

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak Squealing?