Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudmouth + Long tubes = Not very loud (review)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I'll take some Corsa tips as my reward
Alright

But what if I take it off to run open long tubes?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the CATS are quieting down the exhaust for one thing, another is we all have different opinions on whats loud and what isnt. I probably wouldnt think its very loud either but ive been around my cousins Ws6 that has a 408 stroker with the LM exhaust. Not sure if its the 1 or 2 muffler but that ******* thing is loud as **** lol Shut mine the hell up and i thought mine was decently loud (back when i had the LM2 muffler with LT's & ORY).
Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Well the CATS are quieting down the exhaust for one thing, another is we all have different opinions on whats loud and what isnt. I probably wouldnt think its very loud either but ive been around my cousins Ws6 that has a 408 stroker with the LM exhaust. Not sure if its the 1 or 2 muffler but that ******* thing is loud as **** lol Shut mine the hell up and i thought mine was decently loud (back when i had the LM2 muffler with LT's & ORY).
Thats true. I have also been around alot of cars 10 times louder than mine.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

No beating LT/cats/LM2 setup for all around sound/volume/ground clearance.

take out ground clearance the true duals obviously wins.

I can imagine the cats and LM1 sounds real good, just keep the stink preventerS on there!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Take it for a 5 hour drive on the HW and then tell us how you feel about it. :-|

I can't drive mine for any longer than a couple hours. I'll end up with a splitting headache.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
No beating LT/cats/LM2 setup for all around sound/volume/ground clearance.

take out ground clearance the true duals obviously wins.

I can imagine the cats and LM1 sounds real good, just keep the stink preventerS on there!
There really not much of a difference between lm1&lm2 at all.

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Take it for a 5 hour drive on the HW and then tell us how you feel about it. :-|

I can't drive mine for any longer than a couple hours. I'll end up with a splitting headache.
Its not my DD but with the radio up I cant hear the exhaust on the highway. I usually only drive the car short distances so im no help there. Like I said I like it, and I have had louder cars in the past. Guess its all opinion.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Everyone has their own opinion of what is loud, too. Mine isn't a DD, but when I take it for longer cruises I come back with a splitting headache and am happy to park it. LT, ORY and TSP Rumbler catback (Dynomax bullet.) The drone on the HW with mine is pretty bad at 60-70. Above 70 it goes away.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

^ Everyone has their own opinion of what is loud, too. Mine isn't a DD, but when I take it for longer cruises I come back with a splitting headache and am happy to park it. LT, ORY and TSP Rumbler catback (Dynomax bullet.) The drone on the HW with mine is pretty bad at 60-70. Above 70 it goes away.
Im sure your car is alot louder than mine since the rumbler is pretty much a loudmouth. You also have an ORY w/ heads/cam.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

^ The rumbler has a glasspack muffler, the LM is just a resonator... but yeah, it's still pretty loud. The cam changed the tone a little. A little throatier now. But in a way, I thought my Borla CB w no plate and catted Y was perfect. Was loud, but compared to my setup now, it was pretty tame. I just wanted some tone to the exhaust instead of just straight through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rumtQSEFzBs
Old 03-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

glad to see you like it ive only put 1000 miles on mine so far with the 1 7/8 kooks ory and loudmouth. i love it especially going under the interstate with the ttops off or blowing past someone i know.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

i have the exact same setup as you in my '98 and yes it sounds great with wide open throttle. did u notice that your car feels slower cuz mine definitely feels like this. could it be because now im down two O2 sensors? it pops a lot as well. i havent gotten it tuned yet because i wanna do some intake work.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Theres nothing to break in, no muffler. I really like it I just thought it would be much louder.
Sounds like you need to remove the cats & put a nice cam in it like an MS4. That would make it sound perfect.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

^ The rumbler has a glasspack muffler, the LM is just a resonator... but yeah, it's still pretty loud. The cam changed the tone a little. A little throatier now. But in a way, I thought my Borla CB w no plate and catted Y was perfect. Was loud, but compared to my setup now, it was pretty tame. I just wanted some tone to the exhaust instead of just straight through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rumtQSEFzBs
Sounds awesome.

Originally Posted by MR WESST 02
glad to see you like it ive only put 1000 miles on mine so far with the 1 7/8 kooks ory and loudmouth. i love it especially going under the interstate with the ttops off or blowing past someone i know.
Once the cats go ill probably leave them off

Originally Posted by GTAWS6Brah
i have the exact same setup as you in my '98 and yes it sounds great with wide open throttle. did u notice that your car feels slower cuz mine definitely feels like this. could it be because now im down two O2 sensors? it pops a lot as well. i havent gotten it tuned yet because i wanna do some intake work.
I had a flowmaster before and it actually feels about the same. Mine only pops at wot if you let off at high rpms. It is also untuned, but I am thinking about getting an ls6 or fast 90/90.

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Sounds like you need to remove the cats & put a nice cam in it like an MS4. That would make it sound perfect.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

no i meant the car feels like its lost some acceleration since i put the headers on.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

no i meant the car feels like its lost some acceleration since i put the headers on.
I didnt notice any loss but I have heard that you lose alittle low end with long tubes. I have no real proof if it is true or not.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I didnt notice any loss but I have heard that you lose alittle low end with long tubes. I have no real proof if it is true or not.
i do, and its true lol.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

after i installed everything my car felt way faster, theres gotta be something up with your car. especially when i blip throttle it at 3kish and way faster after 4k.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Well I finally had a chance to hear LM1+ORY+LT"S on my buddys ls1. It is much louder and the rasp is def noticeable. Side by side mine is much quieter at idle, and driving around. WOT is close but with mine you dont hear any rasp or the machine gun sound.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Captain Double Post

Yeah as long as you keep the cats on you will be ok,but again when ya start doing internals that's when its gonna start to pop off,lol,
Old 04-03-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Yeah as long as you keep the cats on you will be ok,but again when ya start doing internals that's when its gonna start to pop off,lol,
Its not that it was too loud with the off road y, but it sounded bad. My car now has a nice deep, mellow tone. With out cats its raw and raspy as hell. Makes me glad I got the cats. Once they go however I will drive the car with them off for a few weeks just to make some noise

Quick Reply: Loudmouth + Long tubes = Not very loud (review)