Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP True Duals questions

Old 03-27-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TSP True Duals questions

I just got done installing my TSP True duals last weekend along with new o2 sensors,plugs/wires. I had been running open headers since i would say october and was never pulled over. Now my car sounds really good and i would say its alot quieter than it was when open headers I have the dynamax bullets and they sound sweet! The only problems im having is clearance, i got all the pipes from headers and xpipe all tucked up nicely except for the mufflers, for some reason they are at a slight angle and i couldnt hang them very high because if i got the hangers any higher the xpipe would go up and touch against the stock TA. The turn downs are pretty low to the ground. Is there any way to get better clearance without gettin an after market TA?

Im not really worried about bumps as the roads here are not that bad but today a cop car followed me for a long *** time i really thought he was going to pull me over. I never thought about the exhaust being illegal until now i have heard that the exhaust has to exit the rear of the car to be legal but under the law code for kansas it states that the exhaust must be routed to where fumes exit safely away from passenger compartment. I didn't see anywhere where on the tsp site that said *Off road use only* or *Not street legal* unless i missed it. For some reason this year has been a bad year for me with cops seems like they are getting stricter and i can see myself getting pulled over for something stupid like the exhaust being to low or hell better yet for "loud exhaust" even though its like 10X quieter than it was open headers and the cops didnt bother me then.

Anyway here are some pics i found online...i havent had a chance to take pics yet but this like no different than the clearance on my car. Ill take some pics of mine later.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

I also forgot to metion all of a sudden i started getting vibration noise where the exhaust seems to be hitting the floor board. Is this common with this setup?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had their true dual system on several of my f-bodies. The hard truth is that you cant expect much ground clearance at all on our cars unless you have a system custom fabricated and fitted to your car. The "tunnel" made for the stock I-pipe is now usless and we are trying to fit 2 big *** 3" pipes underneath the whole car, which has limited clearance as it is. I ended up having a 2,5" system cut and custom fit to my car. Not only did it cost less than the TSP system, but it gave me between 5-6 inches of ground clearance. Anyway, the drone and vibration is normal for true duals. Whether they are hitting the floorboard or not, interior drone is tough to eliminate if you have dumped pipes. If you have the money you could always run them to the rear, either over or under the axle. Both are tough with 3' pipes, but it can be done with some time, patience, and a good exhaust guy
Old 03-27-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Oh yeah, and if you stick with their system and decide not to run it to the rear, find a good exhaust shop who wont mind working on an illegal setup. I have found alot of them will do it for cash. Anyway, shops always have different size hangers on hand. You could get them to cut off the TSP hangers and weld in some new ones to allow you to tuck your pipes and tips up into your car some more.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or if ya wanna sell it shoot me a pm lol,yeah cops are getting to be more of a pain every year,I only drive my car really to some shows,and the track so I never get screwed with,I'm about to get a new exhaust,magnaflow with a cut out or duals,hope you get your issues worked out,
Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

That's a picture of my set up. I actually have more ground clearance issues around the x-pipe than anywhere. Big speed bumps or vehicle control points around facilities I visit that have the systems that will pop your tires if you run over them. They normally hit my x-pipe.

I jacked my car up and supported the rear end with jack stands so that the car was sitting at normal ride height. Then I took the floor jack and a 2x4 and lifted the exhaust as high as it would go until and then backed it down until the piping wasn't touching the TA. From there I drilled the "floor pan" and bolted it up. The bolts ended up in the gap between the seat back and bottoms of the back seat. Under certain amounts of throttle the exhaust touches the TA but its minimal. I wanted true duals so i deal with a little rattle every now and again...not like a 4th gen F-body doesn't rattle anyway, right?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Like I said originally, your best bet would be to sell them, take the $300 you get for the system and have a good exhaust guy custom fabricate a dual system for ya. You can buy an x-pipe junction with inlet and outlet pipes from plenty of places. Speed Inc is one of them. Take that to an exhaust guy and yall can walk through whatever you wana do. That way you already have all your materials and you will just be paying for labor (bending, cutting, welding)
Old 03-28-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1

That's a picture of my set up. I actually have more ground clearance issues around the x-pipe than anywhere. Big speed bumps or vehicle control points around facilities I visit that have the systems that will pop your tires if you run over them. They normally hit my x-pipe.

I jacked my car up and supported the rear end with jack stands so that the car was sitting at normal ride height. Then I took the floor jack and a 2x4 and lifted the exhaust as high as it would go until and then backed it down until the piping wasn't touching the TA. From there I drilled the "floor pan" and bolted it up. The bolts ended up in the gap between the seat back and bottoms of the back seat. Under certain amounts of throttle the exhaust touches the TA but its minimal. I wanted true duals so i deal with a little rattle every now and again...not like a 4th gen F-body doesn't rattle anyway, right?
Thats exactly what i did, I used ramps instead of jack stands though and used the floor jack and a 2x4 right under the bullets and lifted them up as high as i could and then lowered them a tad bit like half an inch under the TA, aligned the hangers and drilled a 3/8 hole on each side put the bolts in.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Raise
Like I said originally, your best bet would be to sell them, take the $300 you get for the system and have a good exhaust guy custom fabricate a dual system for ya. You can buy an x-pipe junction with inlet and outlet pipes from plenty of places. Speed Inc is one of them. Take that to an exhaust guy and yall can walk through whatever you wana do. That way you already have all your materials and you will just be paying for labor (bending, cutting, welding)
The exhaust shops here won't touch anything without cats, Its a pain in the *** to get them to do anything custom here in my town. I won't sell it i love the true duals the clearance is just a little worse than i thought lol. The only thing im starting not to like is the rattle but it is a 10 year old car and rattles already. I was seeing if anyone had tips on getting better clearance. Thanks for your input though.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Raise
Ive had their true dual system on several of my f-bodies. The hard truth is that you cant expect much ground clearance at all on our cars unless you have a system custom fabricated and fitted to your car. The "tunnel" made for the stock I-pipe is now usless and we are trying to fit 2 big *** 3" pipes underneath the whole car, which has limited clearance as it is. I ended up having a 2,5" system cut and custom fit to my car. Not only did it cost less than the TSP system, but it gave me between 5-6 inches of ground clearance. Anyway, the drone and vibration is normal for true duals. Whether they are hitting the floorboard or not, interior drone is tough to eliminate if you have dumped pipes. If you have the money you could always run them to the rear, either over or under the axle. Both are tough with 3' pipes, but it can be done with some time, patience, and a good exhaust guy
I had a 4" catback before this setup and the 4" went over the axle with no problems
Old 03-28-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im running 3" TSP duals and love em. I had a huge problem with ground clearance. I had a buddy re adjust it and now i have good ground clearance. So much better than i had before. Before, the turndowns looked like it just hovered over the road. Now there is definitely better clearance.

As far as vibration i also had that. My buddy pretty much cut/shaved under the body where the x pipe rubs, and shaved the body to where it goes over the x pipe. Now i really dont have much vibration anymore.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
Im running 3" TSP duals and love em. I had a huge problem with ground clearance. I had a buddy re adjust it and now i have good ground clearance. So much better than i had before. Before, the turndowns looked like it just hovered over the road. Now there is definitely better clearance.

As far as vibration i also had that. My buddy pretty much cut/shaved under the body where the x pipe rubs, and shaved the body to where it goes over the x pipe. Now i really dont have much vibration anymore.
Yeah it seems like everyone has a different story with their duals as everyone is installing them a lil different, which result in different ride heights and different levels of vibration, etc. If you are lowered at all, you pretty much have to glue the duals to the bottom of the car if you dont want any issues or have a custom setup made perfectly to fit your ride, otherwise no speed bumps or it will go...
Duals are low enough, I think its crazy to run them under the axle to the rear of the car even though it does sound good. I'd be the one "spirited driving" and end up tearing off a resonator on these horrible MI roads; hell, might as well be gravel and dirt around here.

Has anyone ran dual resonators on their "duals"? (Two before the x pipe and two after). Or even two resonators and two mufflers? Curious to how that would sound..

Ps- what does Xzibit charge to do tuning and does that include a freestyle of ur ride as well?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
Yeah it seems like everyone has a different story with their duals as everyone is installing them a lil different, which result in different ride heights and different levels of vibration, etc. If you are lowered at all, you pretty much have to glue the duals to the bottom of the car if you dont want any issues or have a custom setup made perfectly to fit your ride, otherwise no speed bumps or it will go...
Duals are low enough, I think its crazy to run them under the axle to the rear of the car even though it does sound good. I'd be the one "spirited driving" and end up tearing off a resonator on these horrible MI roads; hell, might as well be gravel and dirt around here.

Has anyone ran dual resonators on their "duals"? (Two before the x pipe and two after). Or even two resonators and two mufflers? Curious to how that would sound..

Ps- what does Xzibit charge to do tuning and does that include a freestyle of ur ride as well?

Well, when i first put on my duals i put em on a lift where the rearend lowers. So obviously the torque arm was hanging low and that why i couldnt get my duals to go any higher. You need to put on your duals with your suspension loaded so that the torque arm doesnt hang low. That should definitely help. But i love the sound of my duals. Just the sound of power for sure.

XZIBIT, is a damn good tuner ..LOL. He doesnt freestyle for free without charging a fee..lmao..
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

I've had basically the same situation as you, and i also live in kansas. I didnt run open headers as long, but when I was, a cop pulled me over for window tint. Didn't say anything about the exhaust.

Oh and mine also run pretty low, but dont hit anything
Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

Stock ride height here and tsp td's lasted 3 days before coming off for another y-pipe set up.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Im loving mine right now, awesome sound and i haven't scraped very much at all but i know the time will come. I might pull it off later and re adjust everything when the weather gets nice again but with this crazy *** kansas weather who knows when that will happen. what part of kansas are you from 2000***camaro***ss???
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2000***camaro***ss
I've had basically the same situation as you, and i also live in kansas. I didnt run open headers as long, but when I was, a cop pulled me over for window tint. Didn't say anything about the exhaust.

Oh and mine also run pretty low, but dont hit anything
I got pulled over for tinted tail lights last month and got a $110 fine...then about 3 weeks later i got pulled over again because the zip tie on my o2 sensor extension fell off and was hanging low and the cop was concerned about it i guess. They never once mentioned the exhaust being to loud but with my luck i bet one of these days ill get pulled over for loud exhaust or because my exhaust is too low
Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

I have TSP duals and I adjusted them a ton and put on solid tranny mount. Mine is tucked as well as I can and doesn't hit the car and I had a guy weld up under the rearend and it isn't even as low as the Xpipe. It is still loud but my change in ashtray doesn't rattle anymore. I loosened all of the bands and pushed and pulled and used a rubber mallet to get it tight and high.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TSP True Duals questions