Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ram air or K&N FIPK?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ram air or K&N FIPK?????

i recently bought a 98 TA and its pretty much stock. its got what i believe is an aftermarket WS6 hood but does not have the ram air box. My question to you guys is would you go ahead and make the ram air functional? Or go with something like the K&N FIPK kits? which do you think would get the best preformance?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You better off just going with an airlid. Something like SLP airlid. You should be able to find one used in the classifieds used for like $40.

But you should also maybe look into the volant systems. They look pretty sweet especially for you T/A guys.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

I think a volant with the ram air would be pretty much identical to the ram air setup. I run an SLP Lid with the FTRA kit. It was bought like that, but the big downfall is when im in traffic on the freeway especially, it heats up, so a 160* thermo is almost a must with the fans reprogrammed, which isnt a bad idea anyways but if you are on a tight budget, the Volant would be best I'd think. I'm hoping to get a ram air hood and im more than likely switching to Volant.

EDIT: K&N isn't bad if you want to overpay for something you ill see minimal gains of. But thats all preference, i've never used to FIPK, maybe someone will chime in...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

i havent ever seen a ws6 ram air box in person so im having trouble visualizing how that air box would work with a slp lid cuz all i can see in my head is th older style ram air like on the 95 TA were the air filter sits on the top of the air box
Old 03-28-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

They are all the same from what I hear. I like my K&N with the home made heat shield. Looks kinda cool.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^ good idea with the heat shield! ive been thinking of building one too! i know the easy step would be to go with a volant, but the fipk is already on the car...

as far as fipk cars getting hot engine heat, i have watched my iat's while driving the car, and it was the same as outside air temps....
Old 03-29-2011, 03:49 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

My car had the fipk in it when I bought it and I still have it cause it works perfectly fine, never had an issue with temperatures. As far as performance goes, I'd imagine either way you go will net minimal results and that, in the end, it probably won't make much of a difference.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I say go with a CAI kit
Old 03-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shorty(98TA)
i recently bought a 98 TA and its pretty much stock. its got what i believe is an aftermarket WS6 hood but does not have the ram air box. My question to you guys is would you go ahead and make the ram air functional? Or go with something like the K&N FIPK kits? which do you think would get the best preformance?
I bought a NON WS.6 T/A and Put a really killer WS.9 Hood on it from US Exotics.

I already had a SLP Lid on there and the duct that comes with the Flo-pac and what they do is seal off the 1" or so gap on the NON WS.6 Radiator support.

IF you could find a taller rad support for the WS.6 just get a good filter and lid.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=ta-stanger;14703164] I like my K&N with the home made heat shield. Looks kinda cool.

I still would like to pay you to make me one of these identical to yours!!! Plz, I just don't have the tools nor the resources.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

go with the Volant...I just put it on my car...

But if you want the WS6 lower box, I have my old one...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

i feel with the ram air kit that if u actually use the car as a daily driver that when it rains ur getting all that water in the motor, i think your best bet would be just getting a slp lid and putting a good filter in it like k&n. just my .02 cents if you use the car as a daily like i do with mine

Quick Reply: ram air or K&N FIPK?????