Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) what headers you have
Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Long tubes

2) Y pipe or X/H pipe you have
Home built 3" y-pipe with stamped Magnaflow merge

3) what catback you have
Dynomax 3" Intermediate pipe + a Dynomax 18" bullet in the I pipe + Magnaflow crossflow muffler + Ebay dual 3.5" stainless tips.

4) what cats you're running
No cats

5) any tuning you did/needed
Basic tune by local speed shop. Mostly just to tune out emissions and optimize fuel trims.

6) Any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup.
NA

7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.
When I bought the car, it had Ebay long tubes, Pacesetter y-pipe and a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler on it and it sounded awful; too loud and too raspy. It was very abrasive. I was looking for a stock-ish sound but didn't want to go back to the factory manifolds to get there. With this new set-up, it is about as factory-like as I can imagine with long tubes and no cats. Very mellow and nearly zero rasp.

8) would you recommend your setup to somebody else.
Absolutely. This is a great setup for those who want the gains of long tubes but don't want to be obnoxious.

Last edited by tophatjimmy; 07-17-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Speed engineering 1 7/8" race version

2) Phab true duals

3) Dumped

4) No cats

5) Unturned

6) Not yet dyno ed

7) The headers are awesome. Fit great and the easiest I have installed on these cars. Phab duals needed a lot of work to make work, finished result is good with me

8) It's a good setup for the money...

Old 04-30-2015, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

full stock factory exhaust --- only upgrade is borla xr1 3" in place of stock muffler. (yes i have engine tick until car gets to operating temp!)
Old 05-05-2015, 07:53 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Speed Engineering 1 7/8 headers.

Their 3" offroad ypipe.

Stainless Works 3.5" catback with the 3.5" in, dual 3" out turbo muffler.

Also, it's 416ci, with an F1A hanging off the front.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

BBK 1 3/4" Longtubes

BBK 2 1/2" ORY

SLP Loudmouth catback with a 3" Sweet Thunder chambered muffler in place of the LM resonator.

Stock motor with a Frost tune.

No dyno numbers.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:36 PM
Teching In

1) what headers you have
Speed Engineering 1 3/4" Race Version

2) Y pipe or X/H pipe you have
Speed Engineering Offroad Y Pipe

3) what catback you have
Summit Racing Catback(Same as the jegs/Heartthrob), no tips yet.

4) what cats you're running
No emissions what so ever

Stock Tune

6) Any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup.
No dyno test as of yet.

7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.

I had the long tubes and a tsp rumbler, but it ended up getting ripped off and bent post y. Switched to the summit catback, and it no longer has the insane drone that the rumbler does with catless long tubes. The summit catback fits very well and has solid clearance, although you may have some install difficulty if your exhaust shop welded on prior exhaust. It has a very nice rumble around town and at highway speeds, and is very mild for such a combination. However it does have one or two issues regarding hangers, in that the drivers side rear hangar is a bit funky to install and angle, and I have yet to perfect the tailpipe alignment to my obsessive standards.

The sound: It is a deep rumble, rather quiet, however can sound rather "tinny" around 3000 rpm for a brief moment, I suspect this could be mitigated with some resonated tips, or some weld in mini bullets after the muffler, but is not a huge deal for me as it is nearly unnoticeable to others. Otherwise, it has a mean growl at higher rpm and sounds vicious.

Other issues: This is likely related to my prior catback installer (I wizened up and installed it myself this time), but I seem to have a mild rattle against the gas tank heat shield on occasion. Its an easy fix, but I am rather busy lately.

Most definitely, for the price it is an unbeatable setup, allows serious modification to your taste, such as weld in mufflers, a wide variety of tips, and looks very stock with the muffler positioning. If you have "rude" cops in the area, you can absolutely fly under the radar with some careful driving.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=jrp;1075852]**** [size=3][color=red]
If you would post, up your exhaust info in this format:

1) what headers you have
Kooks 1 3/4" x 3" long tube headers
2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have
It's the Kooks true-dual non-catted 3" exhaust with the quad tips
3) what catback you have
n/a, see above
4) what cats your running
n/a, see above
DRM did the tuning
6) any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup.
Gained about 50hp, am sitting at 407 drivetrain, 334 rear wheel now.
Be prepared to drop some dough. All in all, with the headers, exhaust, the BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop, BMR Panhard Rod Relocation Kit, and install/tune/dyno, it's just over $4K bought and installed. And I would highly recommend taking it to someone to do the install. I went to Doug Rippie Motorsports in Waverly MN, and am glad I did. They had to heat a couple sections of the pipe to get it to bend right so it would fit without banging, and had to use an obscene amount of shims on the safety loop to get clearance. Also put some heat tape on the gas tank, the pipes were really close to it. Better safe than sorry. It was not an easy system to install, took about 9 hours. But once it was in and running... it barks now, that's for sure.
If you have the money, yeah. I love the way it sounds, and saw good gains. Granted, you can get gains for cheaper in other places, but I don't regret going with this as my first big mod.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Default cats

Originally Posted by foff667
pacesetter LT's
pacesetter ORY
Borla catback w/no plates
no cats
ses light because i run no sims
no dyno runs yet since headers w/ borla made 296/306 in 2nd gear
header install was easy check out my sig for the install notes borla was on the car when i bought it the entire system sounds really good and not as loud as a LM car with no cats
I would definitly recommend the entire system to anyone considering it even the pacesetters and ory.

lata
Bill
Just wondering, you have no cats but a catback does that create back pressure of any sort and does it still pop?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

1) what headers you have
Kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers
It's the Kooks ORY
3) what catback you have
SLP CME
n/a, see above
NON YET
no idea
had to shave some K member, didn't change the Motor mounts,28k miles on the car but also in few years will change the K member, Its not a DD so I'm not worried. The Y pipe does bang tho
yes the exhaust sounds amazing, I'm use to loud and obnoxious with my old SS big cam Duals sweet thunders.. Im thinking another muffler but people say SLP CME is the best low key HI flowing

Last edited by CASHss99; 07-29-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1996 Z28.
It has Hooker ceramic coated long tubes with 3 inch Hooker Y pipe with two Magnaflow Spun cat bullet ceramic cats and a GMMG exhaust with oval tips. Car also has an AI 226/234 cam with valve train.

Cold start:

Little rev:

Old 07-11-2016, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Default My first Ls1 so I'm a rookie

Baught my first ls1 99 trans am last week no cats ory pipe Ima get it strate pipe with muffler delete in 2 weeks I was thinking going with ls6 intake and um what cam wouldchu prefere for my car it's still gone be my daily race car and yes I do have long tube headers 1 3/4 I set up a tunning date August 31 cause I wanna tune it since my cats off to keep my service engine light off and I wanna have more bolt ons I wanna least make 470 at wheels help .!!!!
Old 07-16-2016, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Camron if your looking for 470 rwhp then your going to need valve train upgrades and some other supporting mods like a great set of heads and more than likely a fast intake. If it's your daily driver? then I would look for a more reasonable goal. Good luck with your build.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Gamer0364;18853317]
Originally Posted by jrp
**** [size=3][color=red]
If you would post, up your exhaust info in this format:

1) what headers you have
Kooks 1 3/4" x 3" long tube headers
It's the Kooks true-dual non-catted 3" exhaust with the quad tips
3) what catback you have
n/a, see above
n/a, see above
DRM did the tuning
Gained about 50hp, am sitting at 407 drivetrain, 334 rear wheel now.
Be prepared to drop some dough. All in all, with the headers, exhaust, the BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop, BMR Panhard Rod Relocation Kit, and install/tune/dyno, it's just over $4K bought and installed. And I would highly recommend taking it to someone to do the install. I went to Doug Rippie Motorsports in Waverly MN, and am glad I did. They had to heat a couple sections of the pipe to get it to bend right so it would fit without banging, and had to use an obscene amount of shims on the safety loop to get clearance. Also put some heat tape on the gas tank, the pipes were really close to it. Better safe than sorry. It was not an easy system to install, took about 9 hours. But once it was in and running... it barks now, that's for sure.
If you have the money, yeah. I love the way it sounds, and saw good gains. Granted, you can get gains for cheaper in other places, but I don't regret going with this as my first big mod.

Does that bracket for the drive shaft loop cause vibration bc of the exhaust sitting on top of it? My TA relocation bracket is pressed pretty hard against my setup and causing vibration in the car.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com