Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thunder Racing 1 7/8" Headers
Mufflex 3" Offroad Y-pipe
Hooker catback
Corsa Tips

I'd recommend this to anyone. Ive had borla on my previous car as well as this one. It's fine until you get rid of cats, and especially once you get a cam and heads. Borla just gets way too raspy and sounds like a chainsaw. I switched over to Hooker and couldn't be happier. It has a very mellow tone at idle, you can barely hear it from inside the car when just crusing, but it gets very loud when you want to hear it.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

- Jet-Hot LTs
- Jet-Hot ORY (was a catted Y)
- Flowmaster 80's, i know, i know
- cut-out (always open)
- no tuning done, however throws an SES code since one of my o2 sims went bad
- no dyno, but ya can feel it in SOTP.
It's VERY loud, especially in an unlocked 'verter, lots of rasp. I will be shortly going to a custom ORX with dual cut-outs, along with a GMPP ASA cam
Old 11-26-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

1) what headers you have
SLP LT's
2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have
SLP catted Y
3) what catback you have
Magnaflow
5) any tuning you did/needed
Needed O2 sims, still need tuning (and new headers for that matter)
6) any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup.
Nope, just a good kick in the pants
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.
Had Loudmouth on stock manifolds and y... the stock cats (probably broke) made it sound like i had junk in the pipes... so i went for the SLP headers falling victim to their advertising (big mistake, now saving up for Kooks) then the loudmouth was just too loud, so i went with Magnaflow. Sounds good, will sound great with kooks and ory i'm sure.
8) would you recommend your setup to somebody else.
Loudmouth is good if you want to be noticed. Magnaflow is good if you want to be respected. Just get better headers.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Edelbrock Headers
Y-pipe W/cats
3 Inch Pipe From The Rooter To The Tooter
No Muffler Single Pipe With 3 3/4inch Tip On My 96 Z28 Lt1 A4

Sounds Like A Monster!!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

PACESETTER ORY REVIEW/TEST

1) Pacesetter Long Tubes, Coated with EGR/AIR
2) Pacesetter ORY
3) Magnaflow Stainless Steel Catback
4) No Cats
5) No tuning, runs excellent with the stock tune.
6) Not Dyno'd.
7) I see many questions about the quality/fitment of the revised Pacesetter Off Road Y Pipe. I just happened to install one today on my 99 SS. I replaced my TSP Catted Y pipe due to ground clearance issues on my lowered SS.

The quality of the pipe is very good. It arrived in a torn box, but with no damage. The pipe itself is two peices. The the main part of the Y pipe is one peice. The passenger side has a two foot extension that also has a hangar bracket attached. The kit includes three U clamps and the bolts for attaching the Y pipe hangar to the factory hangar. Of course the Y pipe is aluminized, unless you get it coated, which by the way, is only done to the outside of the pipe.

The fitment was excellent. Everything lined up perfect with no issues. The parts of the Y that meet the Header collectors are slip fit, however I used stainless band clamps (they are about 4" wide and don't crush your pipes to get a seal), which I highly reccomend. I have no exhaust leaks and no banging at all. I did use exhaust tape and high temp RTV to affix some radiator hose the top of the drivers side of the Y pipe, at its highest point because this area is prone to banging.

The sound is noticably louder than the Catted Y pipe. It's not a ton louder, but you can certainly tell. At cruising speed, cabin volume is up a bit, but not intrusive. It flat out screams at WOT and it sounds good thru my Magnaflow and Pacesetter headers. I can't notice a difference in exhaust smell as of yet, but time will tell. Ground clearance with my DMS springs was a big concern for me, and I have to say I am very happy. It is near stock levels and I don't scrape at all on speed bumps or anything else I have found (the exhaust dosen't, front fascia does on ramps). Power seems to be up a tad from the catted Y, but I did a FTRA at the same time so it's hard to tell. The FTRA combined with the Headers and ORY made a huge power difference. The car is just damn fast. No comparision to before the mods.

Overall I am very impressed and have no reservations reccomending this product. Excellent
Old 01-01-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

1) headers - Stock
2) Y pipe - stock
3) Exhaust - TSP Rumbler (no tips on it yet)
4) Cats - stock
5) no tuning
6) no dyno results or track times

7) My review. I pulled my stock exhaust off the hard way all in one piece because a couple wanted to buy it like that. I picked up the rumbler on the holiday special from TSP for $200. Its aluminized and not stainless but the steel used is good solid quality stuff so I'm not worried about it rusting apart on me even in the salt of winter time driving in chicago. Plus I'm pretty silly with undercarriage pressue washings in the winter to keep things relativly clean. the rumbler uses a dynomax bullet Race muffler 3" straight through laid out just like the SLP LM. The install of the Rumbler went super easy since I had everyhting disconected on the passenger side. It fit well on the car after a bit of adjustment. the adjustable back half made lining up the exits a breese and the clamps are standard quality. I still plan on getting it welded later.

how does it sound? Well I just wanted loud because I had a 3.4l v6 camaro before this and v6 + loud exhaust just sounds horrible so it was always quiet. I heard the LM's in person on a couple cars and didn't like the sound of them. just too loud all the time even at idle. The TSP rumbler sounds just like I wanted, LOUD when you get on it but nice when you are just cruising around and pretty quiet at idle after the car warms up. There is resonance inside the car around 2k but nothing that I can't handle. it sounds wicked nailing it in tunnels and in underpasses too. The sound will probably change a bit after I put tips on it and drive it more.

8) I totally recomend it for someone looking for a low buck setup that wants loud without the raspy no muffler sound of the SLP LM. Basicaly the TSP rumbler is the same as the DynoMouth setups but the runbler is not Stainless steel.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1998 Camaro Z28:
  1. FlowTech Long Tubes, Uncoated
  2. No Y-Pipe, bolted directly to 3" DynoMax race bullets, then dumps.
  3. See above
  4. None!
  5. No tuning needed, but deleted the secondary O2 sensor codes
  6. N/A
  7. These headers perform just like Hooker LTs, the design is the same since they are both owned by Holley. This car went 12.0 @ 110 with a 1.57 60' with no internal motor work at all.
  8. Absolutely!

2001 Camaro SS:
  1. Hooker Long Tubes, Jet-Hot coated
  2. Hooker ORY Pipe, uncoated
  3. Hooker Catback with CME
  4. None!
  5. Working on tuning, but deleted the secondary O2 sensor codes
  6. Factory Stock = 312/319 RWHP, with just the Hooker LTs & ORY on a locked TCI4400 = 327/344
  7. I installed these headers in my driveway by myself with only garag tools and and jack stands. It took me 5 hours from when I unplugged the battery to when I started the car. It is very easy to install these headers. The Hooker complete exhaust setup is by far the best sound one I have heard and also is docile enough to drive for hours on end without the annoying drone.
  8. Yes, most definately!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

1) Kook's SS LT's
2) Kook's Catted Y
3) SLP LoudMouth
4) Kook's (Magnaflow) Cats
5) I want a Dyno Tune as soon as I get enough $
6) When I get it Dyno Tuned, I will list the gains.
7) For a quick review: Kook's LT's and Catted Y, are top of the line products and look, fit, and sound top of the line. Running the Kook's LT's and Catted Y thru the SLP Loudmouth is great at idle and RPM's under 2,300, but once you go over 2,300 RPM's be prepared for loud drone inside the car. At WOT this setup sounds EXTREMELY LOUD. I love it at WOT but am afraid to give it gas now in fear that any cop could hear me from blocks away. Honestly, I wish I had a Corsa Exhaust instead of my SLP LM now that I have the Long Tubes and Catted Y. I would definitely reccomend getting Cats for any set up that includes the SLP LM, I cant even imagine what my car would sound like if I had gotten the Kook's ORY instead of the Catted Y.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Teching In

2000 SS vert M6 all stock except for magnaflow cat back and SLP air box. Had hypertech tuning but really didn't do much. The combo of the MF with the AIR box really woke this car up You can feel it pulling much stronger from about 1200RPM. Over 3000 rpm it really starts to feel strong. This is really the FIRST mods to do. Great bang for the buck.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First setup
1) what headers you have
Stock
Stock
3) what catback you have
Magnaflow
4) what cats your running
Stock
None
Have not dynoed the car yet
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.
I liked this setup. The Magnaflow was quiet when idling or cruising, but would scream like a banshee when pushed to WOT. I got a lot of compliments from fellow F-body drivers, and other drivers as well
Yes, if you were going to keep your car stock and not mod it, yes. It's a good quality system, and I can't say anything bad about it at all.

Current setup
1)Pacesetter Race Long Tubes, Coated
2)TSP Rumbler ORX True Duals
3)N/A
4)None, threw the kitties in the trash
5)None yet, going to though, to maximize my gains
6)Haven't put it on the dyno yet, I'll try to remember to post the numbers here when I get it done
7)I LOOOOOVE my new setup. Definitely more aurally pleasing than the Magnaflow. I was as giddy as a schoolgirl the first time I went WOT. I will warn anybody considering this setup though... it is VERY loud, so you'll need to adjust your driving habits accordingly, so as not to attract any unwanted attention from the police. The installation went smoothly of both the headers and the ORX. There are some clearance issues with the duals though, you have to tweak and tweak to get everything just right, so I hope you have some patience. Once you get them done however, the system is a very nice fit. TSP did a good job building this system. Interior drone isn't that bad, not as bad as some people have made it out to be. Interior itself does vibrate some, but I'm gonna chase those little gremlins down and fix that.
8)I would recommend it to anyone who wants an old school muscle car sound, and doesn't mind dealing with a few little things. Definitely not for someone who wants quiet and subtle though...
Old 02-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

1) what headers you have?
Hooker LT's
2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have?
Hooker ORY Pipe
3) what catback you have?
SLP Loudmouth
4) what cats your running?
No Cats.
Dyno Tune via Norris motorsports
None just on the exhaust
Very loud set up. Sounds like a NASCAR. Not recommended if cops are bad in your area. I'm probably going to modify it to quiet it down.
Only if you like it loud. I've had many compliments and enjoyed scareing the crap out of people when starting the car. However, its getting on the wifes nerves not being able to talk to me on a road trip.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

1) what headers you have
3) what catback you have

1.QTP 1 3/4 race style with HV merge collectors
2.QTP catted Y
3.GMMG
4.Whatever kind Barry ships with his Y pipe
5.Custom tune by: Bille Lawler www.prescribedpower.com
6.Didn't do a basline. Final #s 350rwhp 351rwtq (filthy airfilter, 100% humidity, and through a moser 12-bolt)
7.I know it's my car but it definatly the best sounding stock cube f-body I have ever heard. Below 2500 rpm it sounds nice and civil yet deep. 2500-3000rpm people start looking in traffic. 3000 rpm to redline: ricers don't pull up next to me, mustang owners quit smiling at me and mothers hide their children. Yes it is loud, mean, and no hint of rasp.
8.If you have the money this setup was meant for F-bodies.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Teching In

1) Coated Hooker LT's
2) Custom X-Pipe
3) What the Hell's a catback?
4) NO CATS
5) No Tuning
6) Havent dynoed it yet
7) I have the system dumped into 2 Flowmaster 1-Chambered mufflers and that bitch is loud! It gives me a very loud and deep tone. The only thing that I might do is get the pipes extended out the back and thats it.
8) HELL YES!

-VortecLS1
Old 02-26-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1) SLP longtube headers
2) Random Technology y-pipe with cutout in i-pipe
3) Magnaflow stainless steel catback
4) No catalytic converters
5) I first used a MAF Translator to tune, then got HP Tuned.
6) Put down 345 rwhp/360 rwtq with this setup and a lid.
7) I have been very happy with the performance gains
that I have seen from this exhaust setup, and love how
it sounds with the cutout capped and uncapped. I have
had the SLP longtubes on my car now for 2 years, and
they still look great. The only drawback to the SLP
longtubes is a ground clearance issue on the passenger
side header. The only reason I wouldn't recommend
them is if you were planning to or already have lowered
your car. The Magnaflow stainless steel catback with
the 3.5" polished tips is one of the best looking, and
best performing catbacks made for our cars in my
opinion.
8) I would highly recommend this exhaust setup to
anyone who wants a nice looking exhaust setup, with a
great sound, and good performance gain.

Last edited by CRL 01 SS; 02-26-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

1) what headers you have: Mac midlength headers.

2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have: I have the Y pipe that comes with the Mac system.

3) what catback you have: Magnaflow w 3.5 tips.

4) what cats your running: Thunderbolt Magnapack. see PICs at my site. Link to my site LS1FBody

5) any tuning you did/needed: I am throwing an SES for P0420 and P0430. I have thrown these codes since APE tuned (supposedly) my car and I have since changed both rear O2s and the Mac Cats for Thunderbolt Cats. Still throwing codes due to tune from APE.

6) any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup: The car Dynoed at 322 RWTQ.

Link to graph of Dyno

7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination:

The combination of the Mac Headers and the Magnaflow give the exhaust a throaty sound at WOT and when cruising it is mellow enough. There should be some pick up in acceleration but I have not had the car to the track yet.

Plans: 1. Get another tune since APE did the tune the spark advance by 3/4 and throwing codes and causing knock and rev limiter and shift points were never set as promised. I will tune for the 3.73 gear I will be swapping and increasing rev limiter based on dyno and new shift points. I hope to see closer to 330 RWTQ with Cats.

Link to a sound clip of this set up

8) would you recommend your setup to somebody else: Yes. I think too often people choose LTs because of the little bit more they gain but IMO the Mac Midlengths are great and do as well and cost much less if you are going to get coated headers.

Last edited by ActionJack; 06-17-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jrp
**** Technical Information only. All Non-Tech posts will be purged****

If you have a question about a particular setup PM that person or start a new thead.

If you would post, up your exhaust info in this format:

1) what headers you have
3) what catback you have

hopefully we can get something good going .

1. 1 3/4 QTP race headers
2. QTP ory
3. stock
4. none
5. nothing yet
6. hope to see some big gains
7. the whole system fits in real well. there are some baning issues with the y directly under the center console. vibration is noticable in the low rpms. if you go with system, the I-pipe willl need to be cut to make room for the y collector. if you don't like rasp then i suggest getting the catted y.
8. makes the car sound real mean.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp

If you have a question about a particular setup PM that person or start a new thead.

If you would post, up your exhaust info in this format:

1) what headers you have
3) what catback you have

1: stock 01 for now
2: stock 01 for now
3:just a spintech muffler, stock piping for now
4:stock cats
5:no tuning yet
6:no dyno yet
7: like it because it sounds nice not loud not airy like stock. Only way you could really hear it is if you let someone else drive it. It sounded nice noticable but not annoying.
8: I didn't know squat about anything when I went to the shop. so I got that one. was going to get loudmouth, but I kinda glad I didn't. going to get in this month
Hooker LT's coated
TSP catted-y
Magnaflow cat-back
Old 03-14-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

1) what headers you have

Kooks 1 3/4 Stainless steel

Kooks Y-Pipe

3) what catback you have

Stock

No cats

Tuning needed (currently just bolted kookies on)

12 HP and 23 FT-LBS to the rear wheels
(went from 344HP and 352TQ TO : 356HP and 375TQ)

7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add
concerning the combination.

Due to no cats there is a little popping sound aroun 2500-2800rpm but not bad; I would like to just simply tune the car to see possible higher gains, overall i love the headers, i had FLP's and I didn't like them (just my opinion). I actually gained about an inch of ground clearance using the Kooks headers and matched y-pipe from the FACTORY exhaust.

I would highly recommend these headers and y-pipe to anyone. The gains i saw were tremendous for just simply bolting them on ` (at least i thought) and they sound good without being loud. I bought them from More Performance and the headers were 749 it think and the y-pipe was almost 200 if i remember. Both the headers and y-pipe were stainless steel. I thought that the performance for the price was awesome compared to other header companies/sellers.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp

1) what headers you have=============SLP Long Tubes
2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have======N/A
3) what catback you have==============SLP dual dual
4) what cats your running==============SLP high flow cats
5) any tuning you did/needed============soon to be dyno tuned

7) small review====Expensive but pretty.=====Definitely not for those looking for a loud exhaust from idle to w/o throttle. Has a fairly quiet idle, similar to the C6 Vette or '05 GTO. Has a great sound through the power range during acceleration. Definitely turns heads when you kick it in the ***.

8) would you recommend your setup to somebody else.=== Yes if you still want to listen to music and have a great performing/"legal" system.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Teching In

SLP LT's
no cats
Flotech X
Dynomax 16"x4" bullets
dumped before axle
no dyno yet, had cats deleted from cpu
love the setup and have had two other guys in the shop get the same thing (except for the headers)

Quick Reply: Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com