Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:08 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

let me preface this buy saying i've got a 12.0 CR forged 347, heads and 238/236 112 cam.

1) jet hot headers
2) TSP TD's
3) n/a
4) none
5) none specific to the exhaust
6) none specific to the exhaust
7) holy **** get pulled over by the cops and have neighbors 2 blocks down complain loud
8) great for the track, would not recommend for the street.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. pacesetter LT headers
2.pacesetter ORY
3.SLP Loudmouth cat back exhaust
4. no cats
5.no tuning
6. no dyno
7.love the set up
8. highly recomend if u love a loud NASCAR soud that blows Mustangs out of the way, wow it sounds so mean
Old 03-23-2005, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

1) what headers you have
QTP 1-7/8 with High Velocity Merge Collectors
2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have
QTP ORP 3' into a Flo Collector.
3) what catback you have
Magnaflow
4) what cats your running
N/A
5) any tuning you did/needed
Car was dyno tuned.
6) any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup.
Made to many changes at once.
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like
to add concerning the combination.
QTP's are a work of art, they installed beautiful with no issues. The Y pipe needed an exhaust shop to get right. The band clamps are worthless. It is definately loud, but not raspy and no drone.
8) would you recommend your setup to somebody else.
Yes
Old 04-18-2005, 09:37 AM
11Second Club

1) QTP 1-3/4" race headers (no AIR or EGR fittings)

2) QTP catted Y-pipe

3) Hooker catback

4) Running whatever cats QTP puts on their Y's

5) The car runs fine without a tune, but I'm sure it could use one. I'm going to have to get a tune either way because I'm throwing codes for no rear O2s and !AIR.

6) This has yet to be determined, and I will post up when I'm able to dyno the car.

7) The headers went in so easily, I can't describe it. We were using a lift and had the car about 2 feet off the ground (from the wheels), and they slid in perfectly. I think the driver side took about 30 seconds to put into place and the passenger side took like 10 seconds. We removed absolutely nothing (i.e. didn't remove oil filter, steering linkage, etc.). I have yet to notice any leaks at the heads.

The Y-pipe wasn't quite as nice as the headers. It hangs quite low on the driver side, and it doesn't clamp together so well (but, that's a failure of the clamps, not the Y-pipe). We had a breaker bar and an extention when putting the clamps on. Keep in mind the car was roughly 5 feet off the ground at this point. One person held up on the socket so it would stay in place while the other put his entire weight into the breaker bar trying to tighten the clamps up. Some are tight, but some still aren't. I'm surprised we didn't break them as hard as we were torquing them down. The Y isn't banging the bottom of the car, at least, but it sure does hang low.

The Hooker catback was easy as cake to put on (but I'm sure all catbacks are). The U-bolts crushed the pipes together such that they'll never come apart, which is a good thing. However, think a little harder than I did before putting the bolts on. I didn't realize that they would make the pipes crush together. Now my tips are a bit too far apart from each other (however, they are centered), and I can't get the pipes out of the muffler to cut them shorter. I did, however, cut the pipes a little shorter so the tips wouldn't stick out quite as far as they did. Also, you might need to get the tips tacked on because the clamps on the tips don't always sinch down far enough. One of mine was loose.

I installed the catback first, and it sounded pretty good. It was almost exactly the same from idle to about 2500 RPMs. Beyond that it got a bit louder than stock. At 5k RPMs the car made itself known a bit more than before. It was a nice, deep growl, but still smooth like stock. It was pretty quiet at first, but after a few hundred miles, it seemed to get a bit louder.

The longtubes sure did change the sound of the car. It sounds wonderful now (but not as wonderful as when I fired it up with open headers on the lift ). It's actually quite smooth without any rasp that I notice. At lower RPMs, it has a deep grumble that would tell the trained ear that it has headers, but it's not loud enough to catch the attention of any fuzz. When it revs up, though, it's monsterous. It's got a roaring sound that will definitely keep the ricers from wanting to run you. The really nice thing about the sound is that it's not loud at all unless the car is under load. Therefore, if you're driving at 3k RPMs, but not accelerating, it sounds very quiet... almost like it's only got a catback. Because of this, I think it would be fine for daily driving. Mine's just a toy, though.

8) I would highly, highly recommend this entire setup. The Hooker catback is very high quality, and very low price. The sound of the catback with and without the headers is well worth the money. I gained about a tenth from the Hooker catback in the quarter mile, but I have yet to go to the track with the headers. The QTP headers are of the absolute highest quality. Don't settle for less, guys. The Y-pipe leaves something to be desired, but the ORY might not be that way.

If anyone has any questions about my setup, install, or any updates on how the car performs (in case I forget to post them), feel free to PM me or email me. I'd be very happy to share my experience with you (If you're reading this in the distant future, that doesn't mean I'm no longer willing to respond. You can still feel free to contact me).
Old 04-24-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

1) Stock manifolds
2) Stock y-pipe
3) Loudmouth II
4) Stock Cats
5) No tuning just unpluged the battery for 4 hours to let the PCM reset (I first drove the car with the new exhaust for a few miles and it didn't feel better, actually maby slower, then I unplugged the battery and then drove it and it felt much better, then after 30 miles of driving it, it seemed to tune itself alittle bit better)
6) Not yet, I have access to Gtech RR though (But now spins the tires through 1st and half of 2nd from a 2k rpm roll.)
7) I think this new system sounds amazing. Its loud but not too loud and it will be just a nice rumble when lightly throttling. Very deep and throaty. It doesn't sound raw like the LM. It doesn't bark or pop when I let off the throttle just a nice throaty gurgel. I think this system is perfect and will become very popular.
8) I recommend this system for its price, ease of install, great sound, and power increase. I have gotten many compliments about this system. It is the perfect balance between too quiet and too loud as well as too mellow and too raw and aggressive.
7)
Old 05-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Teching In

1) what headers you have
kooks 1 3/4" stainless steel
Kooks catted Y
3) what catback you have
Borla no plate
High flow cats that came on the Y
Not yet, I am going to have it checked out
No Dyno yet, but will get it soon
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like
At Idle this is not very loud, just a little louder then just the borla, just a little meaner. Once you get on the gas it screams.
If you want a loud car that sounds good This is what you want
Old 05-05-2005, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Jet-Hot Longtubes
2) Speed Inc 3" duals with dynomax bullets
4) No cats
5) Dyno tune at speed inc after Magic Stick v.3 (237/242 .603/.609 113)
7) Full exhaust, auto with 3500 stall converter (soon to be 4000), MS3.
This is, IMO, by far and away THE best exhaust sound you can get. The only thing that could possibly sound better is Sweet Thunder chambered mufflers, which I might try swapping in at some point in the future. Idle is loud and sounds like a drag car sitting in the staging lanes, part throttle is nice and not too loud and it screams it lungs out in the upper RPM's.
8) I would and do absolutely recommend this setup. The only downsides are that it is pretty loud and there are ocassional fumes. However with stock internals it was barely, if at all louder than my loudmouth was on stock manifolds/cats. The fumes could be fixed by taking it out the back or running cats but they are not much of a problem. Hardly had any before the cam.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

1) what headers you have
none

SLP Y pipe

3) what catback you have
Hooker

Stock

Not yet, I am going to have it checked out

No Dyno yet, but will get it soon

My car is a daily driver that is never run at the drag strip and must pass emissions. For these reasons I am not running headers. The SLP Y-Pipe is an expensive part that offers little performance gain, but it does make my car sound a little meaner than the stock one did, and it's stainless. I love the setup I have now: It is quiet when you want it to be and gets loud when you want to have some fun. I also like the fact that it doesn't have the snap,crackle, pop that some of the other raspy cat-backs seem to have. If you are wanting to keep your stock cats and manifolds and still have a good sounding car that isn't annoyingly loud on the highway I would defininitely suggest this setup. Great bang for the buck.

I think I just did...
Old 05-16-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

1) what headers you have
hooker coated LT's
tsp x-crossover
3) what catback you have
18" sweet thunder td's
none
none until cam
didn't dyno until cam and bolt-on's minus pulley and ported tb
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.
this is by far the best sounding exhaust i have ever heard...there is a slight rasp near 1800rpms but you can drive around it..have had MANY compliments on my setup...people have told me it sounds like the 03/04 cobra without the supercharger wine...btw this setup is very loud
most definatly
Old 05-22-2005, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

1) what headers you have: FLP LT's
2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have: FLP Y Pipe
3) what catback you have: Magnaflow
4) what cats your running: Ones that came in the FLP LT setup.
5) any tuning you did/needed: After the FLP's my a/f went to 11.2:1, I used my Predator on a dyno with a wideband and brought my a/f to 12.8:1 and now runs smooth, felt slugish and only gained around 12 h.p before the tune.
6) Dyno gains: Last dyno in Oct: 299rwhp and I think 221TQ, after LT and A/f getting right: 335 rwhp and 342 TQ, with cats. With cats removed and the straight pipe setup, 340 rwhp and 344 TQ.
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination: Make sure you get your A/F correct, car ran crappy before changing the A/F, plus used tons of gas, do the A.I.R mod to stop fluttering.
8) would you recommend your setup to somebody else.: The FLP's are great, I bought them off a friend for cheap and the original ceramic coating was still 95% perfect, light touch up and like new. Wasn't satisfied with the LT's until I finally got the A/F in a good range, now you can feel all 35h.p
Old 05-26-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

1) what headers you have
3) what catback you have
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.

hopefully we can get something good going .
1. SLP LT headers
2. SLP y-pipe w/ cats
3. SLP 2OTL
4. SLP cats (random tech?)
5. Tuned by Speed Inc.
6. Exact gains from exhaust set up are not known, I did the headers and cam at the same time.
7. This exhaust system sounds great. It is healthy sounding but not loud at idle or cruising. Step on the gas and you'll turn heads. No noise while cruisng at 65 mph. The SLP headers hang low, but I have never had a problem with them or never scrapped them.
8. For the money, I would buy my set up again. If I had an unlimited budget I would do QTP LT's and a Corsa cat back.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

1) what headers you have: JET HOT Long Tubes
2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have: JET HOT ORY
3) what catback you have: Stock with Spintech Splitcase Direct F-body Replacement
4) what cats your running: None
5) any tuning you did/needed: LS1 Edit Dyno Tune (DynoDynamics Dyno)
6) any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup: 399rwhp cutout open and 385rwhp with capped cutout.
7) Just had it welded on by a shop. $40-50... 1hr or less labor.
8) I would recommend this muffler over ANY on the market. The dyno results dont lie.

Sounds incredible... Im posting this more to show the fact that the Spintech muffler flows really good. Its a GREAT muffler... only lost 14rwhp vs open cutout.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

1) What headers you have: QTP LT's w/ AIR
2) What Y-Pipe you have: QTP Off-Road Catted Y-pipe w/ Flowmaster Merge Collector
3) What catback you have: GMMG w/ Oval tips
4) What cats your running: Carsounds Cats
5) Any Tuning did/needed: Computer tuned, removed torque management, optimized shift points, and deleted rear O2 sensors
6) Any verifiable dyno gains: Nope not slapping it on the dyno for some time or atleast until it needs to be
7) Long Tubes have great fitment, and create a lot of space under the hood-very clean looking. Y pipe comes in pieces form factory so adjust until desired fitment is met. GMMG I-pipe needed to be cut and needed a new clamp to hold that in place witht he Y-pipe because of the Flowmaster Merge collectors size. Fits great clearance is not an issue so far.
8) I would not recommend this to some1 first time installing an exhaust on there own, however i recoomend it for sound and performance you can really feel the SOTP meter skyrocket! I also would recommend it because I WANT TO BE UNIQUE YOU BUTTHOLES lol- The sound is unbeatable!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

1) what headers you have

Pacesetter coated long tubes, no emissions hookups

Texas Speed off-road x-pipe with Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers

3) what catback you have

N/A

N/A

Deleted AIR, EGR, and turned the codes off for the rear O2s. No actual tuning yet.

No dyno time yet.

Detailed review regarding fit and finish of the exhaust as well as reviews over start-up/idle, cruising speeds, part throttle, and wide open throttle: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/335388-detailed-review-pacesetter-long-tubes-texas-speed-true-duals.html

For someone that daily drives their car, and doesn't want to deal with a loud exhaust and the potential problems it would cause (with the law, headaches, etc) I would not recommend this setup. Quieter mufflers (less ground clearance because they'll have to be big) on true duals or a y-pipe setup with one of the more tame catbacks and a cutout would be a better solution. For a weekend/warm weather car, absolutely.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrp
If you would post, up your exhaust info in this format:

1) what headers you have
3) what catback you have
1) SLP long tubes
2) SLP Y-pipe
3) GMMG
4) Random Tech
5) Advanced timing & leaned out A/F a little due to running rich... used DiabloSport Predator
6) First time I dyno'd was after the LT install, so I have nothing to gauge any gains off of... but I could definately feel the difference!

7) Overall, I'm happy with my setup. It has a nice, deep growl to it. It's pretty loud, but not obnoxious. Definately a "classic" muscle car sound. My Z28 SCREAMS at WOT once I hit 4000 rpm, however.... which to me is a good thing. Not much resonation or drone, and hardly ever any popping. I've recieved many compliments on the sound. Many people say the sound of my Z28's exhaust is one of it's best features. I may remove the cats later on this year though.

8) I would recommend this setup, yes... but only if potholes, dips in the road and speed-bumps aren't going to pose a problem...as we all know... SLP LT's hang pretty low. I only have a little over 3" of ground clearance with the headers.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

First setup
1) what headers you have
Stock 99'
Stock
3) what catback you have
Stock 2.75" w/ 3" cutout after Cats.
Stock
HPTuners, LS1 Edit. Tuning by Gomer (much thanks!)
w/ most bolt-ons and 4.10 gears 327/331. Tuning by Gomer
The cutout is a great bang for the buck mod. really gets the most out of the stock exhaust for 30 dollars.

Yes if on a budget.

Current setup
1)Pacesetter Race Long Tubes, Coated
2)TSP Rumbler ORX 3" True Duals
3) N/A
4) damn... I knew I forgot something...
5) TBA
6) TBA
7) TBA
Old 07-30-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jrp
**** Technical Information only. All Non-Tech posts will be purged****

If you have a question about a particular setup PM that person or start a new thead.

1) what headers you have
3) what catback you have
1.) Pacesetter Coated LTs
2.) TSP ORY
3.) SLP LM
4.) NONE
5.) None yet
6.) Never dynod the car
7. This setup IS LOUD. Some say its raspy but mine isnt really all that raspy, its a MEAN sounding idle/cruise/WOT. If you like loud then this is ur setup.
8.) If your looking for loud for cheap + great performance this is the setup for you.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
**** Technical Information only. All Non-Tech posts will be purged****

If you have a question about a particular setup PM that person or start a new thead.

1) what headers you have:
2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have:
3) what catback you have:

hopefully we can get something good going .
1) SLP Headers
2) SLP Y-Pipe
3) SLP Dual Dual cat back with QTEC electric cutout
4) Speed Inc. off road pipes
5) Speed Inc tuned my car after install because I installed heads and cam at the same time.
6) Not available because of heads and cam swap took place at the same time
7) I know a lot of people complain about the SLP headers. I have been happy with them for the most part. My car has the SLP suspension and it seems to have a lower ride height compared to other Camaro's when I put them side by side. With the lower stance I've only scraped the headers a couple times. I didn't think the headers were to difficult to install but compared to others (i.e. Pacesetters) the SLP headers took a lot more effort. I probably could have spent around the same amount of money on the Kooks or QTP headers a recieved better power gains, fitment, and quality but I purchased the SLP headers before I knew about the Kooks or QTP's.
8) Would I recommend my setup to someone else? I would tell people to go to the Kooks or QTP headers instead of the SLP Headers. With my SLP catback exhaust I would highly recommend it. If you want your car to be quiet during normal driving and loud at wide open throttle this exhaust is perfect for you. The catback performs and sounds good.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
1) what headers you have
3) what catback you have
1) Pacesetter LT

2) TSP Off Road Y

3) Hooker Catback

4) None

5) Got the car tuned after I put the cam in. Needed to fix the SES light

6) None

7) The headers are nice and they fit very good. The Y-pipe is also a good piece and fits perfect with some adjustments as it is a 4 piece design. The catback is excellent, sounds outstanding and I am sure it flows very good.

8) I would recommened this setup to anyone that is on a low budget. But if you are not, get some stainless headers and the catback of your choice.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

1) what headers you have: Pacesetter coated LTs
2) what Y pipe or X/H pipe you have: Dr.Gas X pipe w/dr gas oval tubing pipes
3) what catback you have: catback none, 2 bullit mufflers, yes
4) what cats your running: nah i dont have any animals
5) any tuning you did/needed: in need, but waiting for ported tb and FIPK
6) any verifiable dyno gains due to your exhaust setup.: just in my ***, dyno #s later with the tune
7) small review (or large if you like) of your over all setup, any tips you'd like to add concerning the combination.: i love the sound, i dont notice any drone b/c its a side exit setup. i will change it later b/c i cant lower the car or the bullets will drag, other than that the sound is awesome, everything else has good clearance.
8) would you recommend your setup to somebody else.: only if they dont plan on lowering the car or doing a lot of rear suspension work

Quick Reply: Exhaust Reviews and Sound Clips from LS1sounds.com