Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

feels laggy after header install

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't it possible for him to just have bungs welded in his new y pipe and have all 4 o2 sensores? that was my plan. Im getting all my exhaust stuff this week and thats what i want to do. Also i have no muffler in my car and there will be no cats? how loud do you think it will be? and will i have performance problems?
Old 04-24-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No muffler and no cats? Come on man, its gonna be extremely loud.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i cut the muffler out when i first got the car. To make it louder. now the rest of my exhaust will be here this week since i finally got the money to get it. So it wont have either i know it will be loud but i guess ill order a muffler and get one back in it. so its now to loud. What do you think?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ Most likely. What intake are you running? -LS6, I'd imagine. My throttle response changed a lot with a ported TB. A mail-order tune is good for basic bolt ons and mostly to get you in the ball-park for anything more. But a true real-time data log based tune is the only way to get it dead-nuts on.

Sorry, but I'm a big fan of tuning the correct way. (I've been burned before.) But then again, my car seemed to have "woken up" at about 35k miles. (2006) so it felt like it naturally started pulling a little harder. I think that's the point when it broke in. Maybe your 10k mi LS6 is still a little tight.
I have the stock LS6 intake and I ported my throttle body somewhat(more like a polish)I had the car tuned originally for a stock LS6 with no cats. I remember when I first did the swap..the car felt like a beast. Maybe because my back tires were shot it had cats(although one was showing a code) and I just wasn't used to it yet....but the car felt a lot better then driving around so I don't think it has anything to with not being broken in yet.

I plan on doing a cam only and converter so I was thinking just getting my pcm retuned now(I think pcmforless only charges $50) then in the coming months when I do that getting a full dynotune.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Veteran

^ I think a percentage of it is you are getting used to it. Time for a cam.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ I think a percentage of it is you are getting used to it. Time for a cam.
could be man...can't remember how many times on how many cars I've had I modded felt the difference then after felt like it was getting slower.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Yeah.. .Once I put the NT05's on the back of my car it felt slower for some reason. Prolly because I wasn't spinning through 3 gears anymore.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Launching!

I just put pacesetter LT's/tsp catted-y/ported throttle body and the car feels really like ****. I know it's running rich I can smell the fuel in the exhaust. My rear o2 sensors are just ziptied up above the y pipe too, they are not inside the y pipe yet.

Car also sounds like **** up front. Either I can hear the actual pistons/combustion more or it's leaking like a ************. And definite loss in low end power, very noticeable.

Is the sound just leaking or do LT's just sound like that?? Def was not there with the exhaust mani's.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Almost feels like I'm not on all cylinders...
Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

connect your sensors!! its needs to be tuned to delete your sensors.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01transampower
Isn't it possible for him to just have bungs welded in his new y pipe and have all 4 o2 sensores?
there is no point in having 4 o2s if you have no cats between them..
Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

^ True, but the back 2 are not o2 sensors.The front two do all the a/f mixture monitoring.
Originally Posted by MEGATRONSS
Car also sounds like **** up front. Either I can hear the actual pistons/combustion more or it's leaking like a ************. And definite loss in low end power, very noticeable.

Is the sound just leaking or do LT's just sound like that?? Def was not there with the exhaust mani's.
They are a little louder because the cast iron manifol bottle a lot of noise in. the headers have a thinner wall, and they have a little less sound insulation quality.

Originally Posted by LS1aiden
connect your sensors!! its needs to be tuned to delete your sensors.
The back 2 are not o2 sensors. All they do is check to see if the cats are working. If they're unplugged they'll just set a code. They have zilch to do with a/f mixture control or monitoring. o2 sims work fine for the backs.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MEGATRONSS
I just put pacesetter LT's/tsp catted-y/ported throttle body and the car feels really like ****. I know it's running rich I can smell the fuel in the exhaust. My rear o2 sensors are just ziptied up above the y pipe too, they are not inside the y pipe yet.

Mine "hisses." I took the car to get the y pipe welded where it was leaking(no matter how hard I tightened 2 of the y pipe clamps it leaked} and I still here a hissing sound coming from the middle it seems. I have my rear o2's zip tied also...my sevice light was on about the first 50 miles then;s been out since.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Launching!

I felt such a power loss though I am starting to think I'm not firing on all cylinders.

I am going to get to y pipe welded though for clearance if anything too.

But it sounds like one of those POS cars that hasn't had the oil changed in 20,000 miles and sounds like a uneven rotor or loose wheel sound that is spinning really fast...sounds really bad.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

sending my pcm this week to get retuned...I absolutely hate the zero ground clearance, the way my car feels and especially sounds with the longtubes, off road Y and hooker muffler!

Is there possibly a different catback I can use that would sound better? I had a Hooker muffler on my 91 Formula 350..no cats and it sounded great, nice and deep...this LS6 is all rasp like a glasspack or something.

Last edited by Black98T/A; 05-07-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: feels laggy after header install