Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp loudmouth side exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slp loudmouth side exhaust?

I put in some hi-flow cats last week and my bassani y pipe didnt line up reallyw ell with the slp loudmouth i had out back. i finally got everythign to fit nicely under teh car and i put hangers in places to firm it up and tuck it up under the body alittle better, but my tail pipes are all outta wack now. so i have to cut where the i pipe goes over the axle and basically rebuild the catback from the axle back.

THis is what im thinking, i can get my hands on some oval 2.5 inch piping that has 90 degree bends...should i make a side exit exhaust for my 98 z28 with the loud mouth? anyone ever done anything like this?

thanks for your opinions in advance

also if anyone has done this can they explain to me how they did it
Thanks
T
Old 02-19-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was thinking something along the same lines for myself bro. After I get my headers and Xpipe I was just gonna stay infront of the axle and go out the sides in front of my tires, I was gonna use something along the same lines as the stock Z tips (for the low profile to reduce the chance of clearence issues), just chromed. I think you should go for it.
-JOSH
Old 02-19-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

do you suppose considering a lack of piping compared to rear exits that my loudmouth is gonna get louder? cause in Northern Va, its not exactly legal to have side exits. Im basically using a loop hole and the fact that a good friend of mine is marrying one of the judges daughters (thank god they love him and his buddies...def. good for me lol), I m just wanting to try something i haven't seen around here in these parts.
ebay has chromed stock z tips i think. or stainless steel whichever. i was gonna use something similar. do you suppose there is enough ground clearance under the car as is to even do this? considering ill have a peice ofpipe running under the car for abotu what 3 feet from the resonator on the loudmouth...
thanks for teh reply dude
Old 02-19-2004, 12:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by slik98z
do you suppose considering a lack of piping compared to rear exits that my loudmouth is gonna get louder? cause in Northern Va, its not exactly legal to have side exits. Im basically using a loop hole and the fact that a good friend of mine is marrying one of the judges daughters (thank god they love him and his buddies...def. good for me lol), I m just wanting to try something i haven't seen around here in these parts.
ebay has chromed stock z tips i think. or stainless steel whichever. i was gonna use something similar. do you suppose there is enough ground clearance under the car as is to even do this? considering ill have a peice ofpipe running under the car for abotu what 3 feet from the resonator on the loudmouth...
thanks for teh reply dude
LOL! You worry about cops too much. What's an exhaust ticket around your area? It's $75 here for anything even up to open headers, and VERY seldom do they hassle anyone unless they do actually drive around with open headers. I'd rather just have my exahust the way I want and pay a ticket if need be. Then again, I don't daily drive my car by any means, so with my limited mileage tickets would be very seldom even in a strict area like yours.....
Old 02-19-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Are you talking about running duals or just having the exhaust exit on the passenger side?

I got duals made for my car a year ago that exit out the sides. I used chrome z28 tips and came out very well.

Your exhaust will sound louder for the main reason that it will now be exiting out the side (closer to you) instead of out the back.

Edit: I tried to post a pic but it didnt load.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a feeling using the slp resonator, which by the way has anyone noticed that there isn't anything in those things?!?!?!, that it would be a little bit too much bass note to teh exhaust. SO im debating using one, or maybe two dynomax race mufflers along with another y pipe so basically teh set up would go like this

stock manifolds, to 2.5 in. madrel bent y pipe with magnaflow hi-flow cats, to an I pipe (just a few inches long) to either 1 bullet race muffler or to another Y section that i can put a bullet muffler on each side and then use 90 degree bends from there. exiting to the passenger side is simple i already have it mapped out and have the piping bent for it. to the driver side will be the more difficult. I want to crush the pipe a 2.5 inch pipe so that i limit ground clearance issues (my car is stock height and is going to stay that way permanately, i dont like lowering cars), im trying to find stock tips in black cause im not a bling bling kinda guy so im opting for something that isn't as flashy so that way when you look at the side skirts, one could over look the tips exiting the sides. everything comes in stainless steal luckily (my buddy owns the shop and he is hooking a brotha up).

basically i could just use the slp loudmouth resonator but does anyone thing this will make it louder outside the car? im not worried about inside the car cause i have a decent stereo set up and filters out interior exhaust resonance. I ran this idea by two state cops and they told me, as long as it exits from out from under teh car, they cold care less where it exits as long as there is a muffler with some kind of muffling device inside and catalytic converters. if its just too loud, i have money in a special account just for those tickets haha.

what do you guys think? think this would work? should i keep the resonator or go with 1 bullet muffler? 2 bullet mufflers? lemme know cause all i gotta buy is the tips and mufflers everything else is free including shop time.

thanks fellas
Travis
Old 02-19-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

considering im notl ooking for performance, if i put a flowmaster muffler in there do you guys think it would sound good? i have a 100 shot of giggle gas for performance so im nto worried about it, i just want a really sweet sounding exhaust that isn't super duper loud, im afraid that the loudmouth resonator with side pipes would be a bit louder than it is, and i dont really need that. what do you guys think?