Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK Longtubes!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BBK Longtubes!!

I just picked up my ceramic coated BBK longtubes from Brother's in Deland FL. I had to order some of the little things like o2 extensions and gaskets from WS6store but I will be doing the install in a week or so. The headers appear to be pretty good quality. The package is one of the best bang for you bucks I could find. I am a little over 700 deep including all the accessories like Stage 8 locking bolts, 02 extensions, o2 sims, and Percy Multi layer gaskets.I feel that is pretty good. I will post some pics and a review once i get the install completed. I am running a SLP LM1 so the system will be very loud, which is ok since the bird is not a daily driver but a weekend project car. I will post once its all in!
Attached Thumbnails BBK Longtubes!!-headers.jpg  

Last edited by fatbody99; 04-16-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal! I should be down in Deland next month.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Cool, definitely check out brothers performance. They are owned by BBK. They had 9 sets of the ceramics coated sets and 6 sets of the chrome in stock. No shipping is nice. I paid 479 for the ceramic set. There are only 2 brothers store fronts in the us. One in deland and one in CA. They don't carry to much else as far as the gm stuff goes but still a cool place.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been nothing but impressed with the quality, and fitment of my BBK LT headers, and their priced really low for what they offer overall!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

How was the intall on your longtubes. I've been reading the posts and I've seem a couple people saying that they been able to put them in from the top? I didn't think that was possible.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

havent tried from the top. put my rear on ramps and jacked the front wayy up on the stands, as high as i could get it, and it barely cleared from under neath. dont forget you may have to grind down the little corner nib on the driver side of the block (theres gota be a thread around here with a pic of it)

whats lighter ceramic or chrome? i suppose the ceramic would hold shine longer?

O - and i wish i did my motor mounts while i did mine... just a thought
Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

^ IIRC, Chrome LT's is a waste of money. Stainless Ceramic coated will hold a shine for a long time. I have SLP LT's, Stainless ceramics and they still have somewhat of a luster to them even after ~40k miles and on since 2004. Install them from the bottom. I don't think anyone has ever successfully installed LT's on these cars from the top.

I need some new LT's and I was wondering how these perform compared to other leading brands like Kooks and ARH.

And yeah, from what I've heard, to do motor mounts, the LT's need to come out to free up room to work. So now is the time. Just find some mounts that do NOT raise the engine. That can become a problem later. -on solid mounts though. Poly mounts I don't think raise the engine.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

why are the new motor mounts so important?
what exactly is their purpose with lt's?
keep reading about how it can be a bitch to do....or how "they" wish they would've done it after they installed Lt's.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Wink

I know the timing would be great for doing the engine mounts but I'm not gonna do them now. I'm gonna do them when I do a full rebuild or a k- member. The budget is tight and I don't feel like the hassle right now. I haven't noticed any abnormal vibrations or issues so I'm gonna ride with what I got.

I have seen the install pics with the nub on the block. I haven't heard anyone with bbk's having a problem, plus I'm gonna do everything in my power to not have to alter anything on the block. I have a set of fairly large truck jack stands so I feel I can get the vehicle high enough. I thought it was a little crazy when someone mentioned they put them in from the top. We will see! The good thing is it's not a daily driver so I can take my sweet time.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by justin hover
why are the new motor mounts so important?
what exactly is their purpose with lt's?
keep reading about how it can be a bitch to do....or how "they" wish they would've done it after they installed Lt's.
Some Y-pipes have a tendency to bang on the pass side floor boards, especially when the engine is torquing over to one side. Stiffer mounts can help eliminate this potential problem.

But the mounts aren't NEEDED. It would just be a really good time to do them while you have the LT's off the car and have all that room available.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your gunna want some high flow cats with that set up. Trust me.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Only thing is with poly motormounts is that you get a lot more of the vibrations into the car, which is really noticeable if you ever install a decent sized cam. I would get the light banging from the y-pipe hitting the floor of the car but I purchased an adapter with a rubber spacer to put between the bottom of the car and y-pipe, which stopped the banging for the most part. I then added a 232/238 cam and after a little while I decided to add poly motor mounts and the feedback into the car was definate more noticeable. The factory mounts would flex a little and disperse some of the vibrations but after the poly motor mounts were installed I could feel the difference as I was getting a lot more of the vibrations from the engine fed back into the frame of the car. Factory mounts can eventually break though so its definately easier to replace while doing the header install. Kind of a double edged sword but if you want to not have to worry about the mounts down the road then def swap in the polys.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Launching!

I just installed BBK LT's/ORY in my car and didn't do the mounts. The only issue I had was the ypipe was touching the floor board on the drivers side. Hammered it down a bit and I haven't had any issues.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbody99
I have seen the install pics with the nub on the block. I haven't heard anyone with bbk's having a problem, plus I'm gonna do everything in my power to not have to alter anything on the block.
I didnt have to do anything to the block or to the K member like some have had to do with other header brands.

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Some Y-pipes have a tendency to bang on the pass side floor boards, especially when the engine is torquing over to one side. Stiffer mounts can help eliminate this potential problem.

But the mounts aren't NEEDED. It would just be a really good time to do them while you have the LT's off the car and have all that room available.
I found this out the hard way, AFTER I installed my headers I had the banging but my stock mounts were shot. I did go with the poly engine mounts. Its much easier to change those mounts BEFORE you install the headers.

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Only thing is with poly motormounts is that you get a lot more of the vibrations into the car, which is really noticeable if you ever install a decent sized cam. I would get the light banging from the y-pipe hitting the floor of the car but I purchased an adapter with a rubber spacer to put between the bottom of the car and y-pipe, which stopped the banging for the most part. I then added a 232/238 cam and after a little while I decided to add poly motor mounts and the feedback into the car was definate more noticeable. The factory mounts would flex a little and disperse some of the vibrations but after the poly motor mounts were installed I could feel the difference as I was getting a lot more of the vibrations from the engine fed back into the frame of the car. Factory mounts can eventually break though so its definately easier to replace while doing the header install. Kind of a double edged sword but if you want to not have to worry about the mounts down the road then def swap in the polys.
I installed poly engine mounts & I didnt get any of the vibrations like you speak of. None at all. The poly trans mount, thats a totally different story. I had to put the stock one back on after only a day, it transmits waaay too much vibration.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I've been nothing but impressed with the quality, and fitment of my BBK LT headers, and their priced really low for what they offer overall!
Did you get the chrome LTs? I was curious how those look, I heard theyre not as expensive but that they rust quicker than the ceramic coated.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to but does rust on the headers really hurt anything other than appearance? Like is it inevitable that it will eventually rust through and create a bigger problem (read "hole")?

I wouldn't think that something like that would rust through quickly but with all the hooplah over coatings and whatnot I can't help but wonder if it matters that much beyond appearance.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have installed multiple sets of these headers and I have been very impressed with the quality, fitment and finish of each set.

These are also some of the easiest long tubes that I have ever installed as well.. Get the car high enough in the air, and you can literally shove the headers in place in a matter of seconds. Easier install than my QTP's and the Kooks and Pacesetters I have installed in the past for sure.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

My wife bought me the chrome one's 2 years ago, and they still look pretty good til this day. The fit ment was pretty good 2.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

I put the poly motor mounts in mine, just to stop the potential problem i've read of other header brand y-pipes banging the floor upon hard throttle acceleration. I never had any banging...

Your gonna have that SLP LM on there for a short period
**** is way too loud, and doesn't even sound good... trust me!

I haven't heard of anyone having to cut a "tab" off their block with these LT's...

Couple things I would have recommended...
-Go with stock MLS header gaskets. They tend to seal the best...
-Stg.8 locking header bolts are sort of a waste. I have them, but the locks are a pain in the *** so I didn't use them. Many other people say the same thing...

Good luck with the install! Post pics when your finished!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I put the poly motor mounts in mine, just to stop the potential problem i've read of other header brand y-pipes banging the floor upon hard throttle acceleration. I never had any banging...

Your gonna have that SLP LM on there for a short period
**** is way too loud, and doesn't even sound good... trust me!

Its not nearly as bad with a catted y. My buddys LT/ORY/LM1 is SO much louder and raspier than mine. I actually think mine is pretty mellow.

Quick Reply: BBK Longtubes!!