Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible causes of coil pack bank to have a weak, intermittent spark?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible causes of coil pack bank to have a weak, intermittent spark?

So my dumbass decided to spray my engine compartment and motor down with water and simple green as it was very dusty and dirty. The motor was running at the time and I never noticed any change in how it was running at the time.

Since I did this, the car feels like it's running on 7 cylinders. I ended up changing all the plugs to new NGK TR55's and inspected my old ones for cracks, they are all fine. I checked my plug wires and connections for the coil pack harness and they all seemed fine.

I did a scan and checked DTC's with HP Tuners and it's throwing a couple codes: P0106 MAP & P0500 VSS. I deleted the MAP DTC and installed a new GM MAP sensor and the DTC just pops back up.

I then checked both cylinder banks with the motor idling. The drivers side temps were alot hotter than the passenger side. So I pulled the plug wires off the coils while running and noticed all of the passenger side coils had a much weaker and intermittent spark than the drivers side. Also while scanning with HP Tuners the O2's readings were way off from the drivers side to pass side.

My next thing I am going to try is swapping coil packs from side to side or try another set of coil packs/harness on the passenger side.

Any idea what the hell I did and what could be causing the miss or rough running?
Old 04-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Does anybody have a clue? Is there a method to test the coils or the power going to them or thier ground??
Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Just to update this if anybody has this problem, we did find the issue. After replacing plugs, plug wires, checking grounds on the engine and chassis harness, fresh fuel and I even tried another set of coil packs/harness with no change.

We resolved it by finding my passenger side O2 harness had been partially melted by my headers and we also replaced both of the O2's with new NGK units.

Car feels like a new car and now runs perfect. Just wanted to let anybody know if they have the same issue.

Ryan
Old 05-13-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was going to suggest cleaning the contacts in the main connector for that bank of the engine, but I see you fixed it.

Quick Reply: Possible causes of coil pack bank to have a weak, intermittent spark?