Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI lid

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTI lid

Got my MTI clear lid in today and it dont fit worth a crap. ive got a 1/2 gap between the lid and the filter on the back side. Now i have to drive to the hardware store to buy some weather striping to make up the difference. Not to happy with the fit of the lid but it sure does look good. Anybody got any ideas on what to do with the AIR hose that runs to the old lid? It came with a press in k&n filter but it looks tacky and out of place just hanging there.

All in all its a killer looking lid but the fitment sucks. Shoulda went with an SLP
Old 04-13-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's suggested to run some foam weatherstripping around the inside perimeter of the lid anyway. As for the air hose, you have 3 options:

Remove the AIR system completely
Use the k&n filter and mount the air hose to the upper radiator support
Drill a hole in the lid and insert the air hose into the hole
Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First time I bought one it was HORRIBLE! none of the notches lined up, so I grinded down the center ones, then the angle was so sharp it wouldn't sit down because the neck hit the air box. Fortunately, I bought it from a reputible sponsor who exhanged it for a new one. Second one fit flawlessly. Better than the SLP it replaced, IMO.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aftermarket lids dont fit 100%. Mine rubs the hood and does not seal very well.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

I put some weather stripping around the perimeter of the lid like thesilverone said and its finally sealed up to drive. I noticed it does pull a little harder, especially at higher speeds.

Still not sure what to do with the AIR hose tho. How hard is it to do away with the AIR system? I dont really see the need in it anyway and plus its dragging down on power.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

I bought an mti lid and after installing it I popped the hood a couple days later at sonic to show off my new mod lol ended up having two huge cracks where it was saudered.

So I just bought an slp and have been happy ever since!

Quick Reply: MTI lid