Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*UPDATED With Vids *Mufflex catback with flowmaster, spintech or magnaflow muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

vid's in sig. follow to my channel, i have more.

i've heard all 3 in person, i like the sound of my spintech the best. however, it's heavy as fuark. if weight is a concern then i wouldn't go with spintech. the flowmaster sounds great at idle but at WOT it's got a wierd drone to it, can't explain it. you'd just have to hear it yourself. also the spintech is very deep in person, which doesn't translate in the videos. where as the magnaflow has a higher pitch girgle to it.

i think if i was a weight **** i'de do a 4" i-pipe dumped just after the axle with a 4" vibrant bullet in the i. and two 3" vibrant bullets just after the headers.

Last edited by brian_rs/ss; 04-17-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:00 AM
TECH Addict

btw, if you want pics of my set up just ask.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw some pics up, Id like to check out your setup.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Mufflex w/ Spintech all the way. I don't think I've heard an F-body cat back that sounded better. The ones I've heard were the 4" dual outlet though not the single.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

I had the 4'' mufflex / Spintech combo the muffler was pretty restrictive but sounded pretty good at idle and WOT, I received alot of complements.

I since switched to a Dynatech Splitflow muffler with the single exit like your wanting to do but my tailpipe is so big it's hard to hide.

Mufflex Spintech 4'' Dual tips

http://www.youtube.com/user/Smokedou.../2/u5WEsknyNrA

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 04-17-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
I had the 4'' mufflex / Spintech combo the muffler was pretty restrictive but sounded pretty good at idle and WOT, I received alot of complements.

I since switched to a Dynatech Splitflow muffler with the single exit like your wanting to do but my tailpipe is so big it's hard to hide.
It's because how mufflex makes the tip hang and angle down. That's why I had them make mine short and cut it at an angle. It also helps that it was built for my car, I know everyone doesn't have Mufflex 40 minutes away from their house though.

It helps that I painted it black too.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

ok, here are my pics. i used a tsp o/r-y as a donor to splice in the fm merge. not quite as good as the mufflex y-pipe but i think it's good enough for my set up. clearance is good all the way around. no rubbing or banging to speak of over the axle/under the tank. ground clearance is also better than i orginally expected. the only annoying thing is how big the muffler is. however, i think once i lower the car, and paint everything behind the tail pipes black/dark grey it'll be a lot less noticeable.

the best thing about this system is the note you get from inside the cabin. refined and deep at cruising, but nice and hearty at WOT. compared to my old true duals this system is a joy to drive everyday. where as the TD's were ear splitting.

mufflex in car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sl0eZOgPng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SSuCJUCn3I

TD's in car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZuoTQj441g

no doubt the TD's sound good, but there is no turning them down. it's loud as **** from key-turn to key-turn. and of course they grab the attention of local law enforcement, which was the main reason i switched, exhaust tickets get expensive
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grifter
It's because how mufflex makes the tip hang and angle down. That's why I had them make mine short and cut it at an angle. It also helps that it was built for my car, I know everyone doesn't have Mufflex 40 minutes away from their house though.

It helps that I painted it black too.
Yeah your car was one of the reason I ditched the dual tip and went with the hideaway.

I actually purchase a whole new 4'' piping kit and put in my own muffler, I guess if I made it more clear to the shop they could of made it more "hidden" but oh well it's growing on me and when I get sick of it I'll paint it just like you did.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the pics and videos. That spintech is pretty loud when you get on it. Does anyone have any sound clips of flowmaster 30 series on there car? That is what the mufflex kit comes with.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
Thanks for all the pics and videos. That spintech is pretty loud when you get on it. Does anyone have any sound clips of flowmaster 30 series on there car? That is what the mufflex kit comes with.
lol that spintech is nothing compared to what i was used to.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
ok, here are my pics. i used a tsp o/r-y as a donor to splice in the fm merge. not quite as good as the mufflex y-pipe but i think it's good enough for my set up. clearance is good all the way around. no rubbing or banging to speak of over the axle/under the tank. ground clearance is also better than i orginally expected. the only annoying thing is how big the muffler is. however, i think once i lower the car, and paint everything behind the tail pipes black/dark grey it'll be a lot less noticeable.
I still LOVE those exhaust tips. However, once I saw MM98's setup years back I knew I was going with a hidden tip. A quick spray of some black paint will make it a lot less noticable and make the chrome tips pop.

Yeah your car was one of the reason I ditched the dual tip and went with the hideaway.

I actually purchase a whole new 4'' piping kit and put in my own muffler, I guess if I made it more clear to the shop they could of made it more "hidden" but oh well it's growing on me and when I get sick of it I'll paint it just like you did.
Thanks! Your setup sounds great! If you really wanted to you can probably cut a little off that tip and make it hide under the bumper more.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, "SmokedoutZ28" what muffler is that, do you have any vids?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dl4r...el_video_title
Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, that sounds great, a little loud for me though. If I come home late at night or leave early, neighbors wont like that.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

^ Yep brian beat me to it lol but it's WAY more then what your wanting though. It's far from quiet and If you looking for visits from the local PD thats the muffler to go with. I might have to switch to another type if the "anonymous" caller keeps complaining about the exhaust. From searching summit & jegs it seems in 4'' diameter size all they offer is race style or diesel mufflers which is probably the reason its so loud.

I thought about the magnaflow but want to hear it in person on a stick car, there are only a few locals running the magnaflow muffler single in/out muffler.

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 04-17-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

^ Yep brian beat me to it lol but it's WAY more then what your wanting though. It's far from quiet and If you looking for visits from the local PD thats the muffler to go with. I might have to switch to another type but from searching summit & jegs it seems in 4'' diameter size all they offer is race style or diesel mufflers which is probably the reason its so loud.
haha yeah, everytime i pull up one of my videos, your videos are always in the side bar. and yeah i've been looking for lighter weight options that would be no louder than my spintech. and there doesn't seem to be such a thing. even a dyno bullet is too loud. and i don't like how the magnaflow sounds either.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:28 AM
dug
Banned

damn those video make me miss my old camaro
Old 04-17-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

I've heard the Spintech in person on a bolt-on car and it sounded Amazing!!! Had a classic muscle car sound to it. Wasn't horribly loud either.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 AM
dug
Banned

spintech sounds cool but isnt freeflowing. No better than 3" catback.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dug
spintech sounds cool but isnt freeflowing. No better than 3" catback.
i beg to differ. i had a 3" tsp rumbler cat back on my car before the mufflex. the car definitely felt choked. it was a night and day difference after switching. is the spintech as good as the straight through magnaflow? no. but it's a damn sight better than a regular 3" cb. and if you want the best of both worlds just throw in a 4" cut out. problem solved.

Quick Reply: *UPDATED With Vids *Mufflex catback with flowmaster, spintech or magnaflow muffler?