Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips For Installing A FAST

Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tips For Installing A FAST

I got a fast 102 intake and every time I put the damn thing on its squealing. I followed all of the instructions changed the valley cover bolts, put rtv on the back corner and every time its squealing. I'm really getting frustrated with this. I have put the ls6 back on it to make sure I am doing it right and when that goes on no squeal at all. I must be doing something wrong with the fast. I torqued down all the bolts, even over torqued them the third time to make sure my gauge wasn't off.

Im out of things to try please help
Old 04-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Is the intake resting on the water pump bolt boss? If you are installing the 102 on an LS1, I know many people have had fitment issues with the 102 properly seating because of that bolt.

Look for the LSXr General thread. It has tons of this sort of information for you.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive installed tons of these, never had a single problem. Describe the squeeling with more detail.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you just suck at working on cars lol jeff you need to grind down the waterpump more, it was hitting last time when we tried to put it on.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Veteran

I had clearance issues, combined with general frustration would make for a miserable time. But looking back at it, I guess it was a learning process. Wasn't that bad. Most of the reason I started thta thread was to throw everything in one and help some other people out.

But OP: is the squeaking from a leak? Or from something vibrating or rubbing? If the intake is hitting the WP, you are not seated all the way and can risk breaking the intake when you torque it down.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by southpaw0314
you just suck at working on cars lol jeff you need to grind down the waterpump more, it was hitting last time when we tried to put it on.

And here's some helpful hints on making sure the intake is clear.
Originally Posted by bayer-z28
What a FPITA today. FOUR TIMES to get the intake to WP clearance right. I learned that 320gt sand paper makes a darn good feeler gauge. Finally got it torqued down.

Some more findings; I knew the WP had to be ground out but. Before it was torqued down, it looked ok so I thought, "Well, maybe not this one." Nope. Got REALLY close half the way through the first try. Loosen it back up, wedge it up with the rubber handle on a pair of Dycs. Grind the WP down. Second try, STILL too tight after the first TQ pass. Back off AGAIN. Ground it down some more and the Dremel snagged the towel I was using to cover the intake/heads/valley. TRY it again.. STILL not good enough.. MOTHAFUKA!!! NOW I'm getting pissed. Ground it down again, Dremel snagged the towel again and Dremel saw a quick trip against the wall. The first Dremel died (craftsman,) now the second one doesn't work because of it's little "ride" across the garage.

4th time was the charm. But I got aggressive with it. 4.5" angle grinder and a carbide bit on a 3/*' DeWalt drill. Also took a HAIR off the bottom of the intake. Kept checking it with the piece of 320 gt sand paper to use as a feeler gauge. It wasn't going all the way under the throat before and I didn't like it so I wouldn't let myself finish torquing the intake. Don't want to break an $800 manifold.

And a tip for the torque wrench (I used a SMALL Snap-on 3.8" lb/in tw.) Don't snap the socket on there all the way and it works fine. None of my extensions would work. Even have a 1/2" length extension.

Anyway.. Here's some pics for visual aids... and to elaborate on my "Sand paper feeler gauge." It works tho.

Before torquing. This gap can be deceiving.

After it's torqued (first pass), it will look like this:

This is where it was hitting. Couldn't get the paper past this was concerning me.

Third try grinding. Not good enough. Gotta take the side of the bolt "boss" out almost to the threads. Even w some off the intake.

Torque wrench "trick"

Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Hey Bayer what is the hose running off of the valve cover running to. Do you have a pic of the finished setup?

Search this Thread