Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open headers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know video is a poor representation of the real thing, but here is a friend's 98 Z28 with open headers. Didn't ever drive it that way. (Too much of a PITA to take it off and put it back up on the Jack Stands.) Its ******' loud.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=46pkvbenaQo
Old 04-21-2011, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
The entire reason I posted was to ask if it was really THAT much louder than TSP Duals; which in my book I would consider "half-way" loud, and thus using it as a comparison.
If they are half-way to you, these will be like cranking it up to ELEVEN! haha...Open headers are LOUD as ****, some of my friends have ran their trucks like that before while in the middle of doing exhaust. You could hear them easily 2-3 miles away, it's racecar loud. I wouldn't do it if I were you, chances are VERY good that you will get pulled over, and there is no keeping open headers quiet if you do somehow see the cop before he hears you.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

I was forced to drive my 02 z28 with open headers.. It was so loud when I started my car I set 5 different neighbors alarms off.. And made kids cry lol. Do it.. Good times right there
Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive researched the backpressure myth and the postive effects of exhaust scavenging and so forth, my car is a show and track car only so when (or if) i run it open headers its only going to be at the track. Ive had the car tuned by bluecat with LT headers no cats offroad 3in y-pipe and loudmouth bullit2 exhaust so it has very little resistance through the exhaust but just for fun and maybe saving 10 lbs of weight id like to run it at the track open headers. Bluecat tuned the 02 sensors out there are NONE in the exhaust so with that being said...do you guys think it would hurt or help or make no diffrence if i ran open headers at the track ONLY? no 02's to worry about and i also know if u unhook the battery for about 15min when u hook it back up the computer relearns how to idle, run wot ext...so im guessing i could just do that and it would adapt to the open headers and then when im ready to put the exhuast back on unhook the battery again and let it reboot with the exhaust back on. what do u guys think?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

BUMP......anyone have any information on the subject?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by shepss217
run that bitch for a few days with open headers, it won't hurt anything, maybe your ears, my buddy has a big block malibu and when he ran open headers at the track he picked up a solid 3/10's, the guys telling you not to are nervous nancy's, run that bitch...
You're buddies big block doesn't have o2 sensors to burn up, which running with open headers will do.

And it also sounds like he has shitty exhaust of it was costing him 3/10s.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project_Reaper
Ive researched the backpressure myth and the postive effects of exhaust scavenging and so forth, my car is a show and track car only so when (or if) i run it open headers its only going to be at the track. Ive had the car tuned by bluecat with LT headers no cats offroad 3in y-pipe and loudmouth bullit2 exhaust so it has very little resistance through the exhaust but just for fun and maybe saving 10 lbs of weight id like to run it at the track open headers. Bluecat tuned the 02 sensors out there are NONE in the exhaust so with that being said...do you guys think it would hurt or help or make no diffrence if i ran open headers at the track ONLY? no 02's to worry about and i also know if u unhook the battery for about 15min when u hook it back up the computer relearns how to idle, run wot ext...so im guessing i could just do that and it would adapt to the open headers and then when im ready to put the exhuast back on unhook the battery again and let it reboot with the exhaust back on. what do u guys think?
Many have run with Open Headers in the past. I don't see how with the limited amount you drive your car (Show & Track) running it this way would do any permanent damage.

On a different note... you have no O2 Sensors in your exhaust? I know the Rears are expendable, but I believe LSx Cars need the Front O2's in order for the PCM to properly gauge Air/Fuel Mixture and monitor Air/Fuel Ratio. I have no Real World experience with tuning or running with the Fronts removed, but every thread I've read on the subject says, Tuned out or not, not having the Front O2's in place has the potential to damage your engine.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah you gotta at least start it up for a while... I put 18" long pipes and turndowns on mine for 2 days. I loved it, it wasn't any louder than an open ORY pipe cruising easy around town or at idle, and it sounded much better. They are not as loud as drag cars at the track. Bigger cams make a huge difference and with our stock cams it's not near as loud as that. But it will put a smile on your face to hear it idle for a little while.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Many have run with Open Headers in the past. I don't see how with the limited amount you drive your car (Show & Track) running it this way would do any permanent damage.

On a different note... you have no O2 Sensors in your exhaust? I know the Rears are expendable, but I believe LSx Cars need the Front O2's in order for the PCM to properly gauge Air/Fuel Mixture and monitor Air/Fuel Ratio. I have no Real World experience with tuning or running with the Fronts removed, but every thread I've read on the subject says, Tuned out or not, not having the Front O2's in place has the potential to damage your engine.
as far as i know there are none. the LT headers had no spot what so ever for sensors. im just hoping it doesnt hurt my 1/4 time. might take my exhaust with me and if my time seems low put it back on in between runs. it could be a fun experiment i guess.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Captain Double Post

imo its pointless,one start up is ok but i couldnt take much more than that,ill take my duals anyday, there loud as hell but sound great
Old 01-26-2012, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

After I installed mine i went for a drive with them on a back road. I could tell it was a bit faster. On the first start up it will be "retarded".... It will have a low idle for about 5-10sec and sounds like you have a big cam even though you don't.... I wouldn't run them very long because how the exhaust comes out and hits the floor board. When your at a stop the hot exhaust fumes will go under the hood... Yes you can start it and give it a little ride but don't be driving in a busy street or for more than a few days.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard too many horror stories about running these cars with open headers to even think about doing it myself. Really not worth needing a tune up imo.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
You should do it!
Absolutely! Do it. Then you "can say you did it".
Old 01-26-2012, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

i ran my like open headers like 2 months , only 2 ft dump extensions to be safe on the O2 i guess ,,, that was freaking LOUD!! but it gets annoying

lucky it was not my DD because on WOT EVERYONE on the little street of my country was turning their heads to see what was coming ..... or taking cover. lol
Old 01-30-2012, 07:11 AM
12 Second Club

im most def not going to run o/h on the street i paid way too much for my full SLP exhaust to do that lol. but i was just wondering if it would hurt my 1/4 mile time any? i figured with the dropped weight and slightly less back pressure i might gain maybe 1mph or .05
Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

You should lose power, there will be no backpressure but also no scavenging
Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
You're buddies big block doesn't have o2 sensors to burn up, which running with open headers will do.
And it also sounds like he has shitty exhaust of it was costing him 3/10s.
Good info here.

Originally Posted by Project_Reaper
as far as i know there are none. the LT headers had no spot what so ever for sensors. im just hoping it doesnt hurt my 1/4 time. might take my exhaust with me and if my time seems low put it back on in between runs. it could be a fun experiment i guess.
You are def gonna need o2 sensors. If your on a stock tune your car is not going to run correctly at all. If there were no provisions in your headers (im not sure why this is) you are going to have to make some. What kind of headers did you get?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 AM
12 Second Club

You are def gonna need o2 sensors. If your on a stock tune your car is not going to run correctly at all. If there were no provisions in your headers (im not sure why this is) you are going to have to make some. What kind of headers did you get?[/QUOTE]

no i have a tune from Bluecat, there pacesetter LTs. yea there are no O2's which means he has put a WOT tune on it and i noticed that when we was driving and he was tuning it, he set the A/F at a constant 14.5 to 14
Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
You should lose power, there will be no backpressure but also no scavenging
trust me you dont need backpressure, the more resistance there is in the exhaust the more HP the engine has to use to push those gases out...i spent a few days reading up on that stuff
Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...Scavenging.pdf

here you go guys, this is one of the links i was reading up on. hope this helps

Quick Reply: Open headers...