Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*HELP* just installed ngk tr5IX plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubPlug.net
Hi Brandon

Please correct me if I am wrong, but over the years I have seen so many people ignore the O2 Sensors. Some folks will run on the same O2 Sensors for the entire life of the vehicle, however the same people will change their plugs and wire set on a regular interval because they are so concerned on loss in fuel mileage. They will wait until they get a "check engine" before they change them.

The reality is an old O2 Sensor will actually give you a greater loss in fuel mileage then compared to an older plug or wire set.

The problem is when a plug or a wire set gets old, you will actually feel the poor performance with the vehicle, but when an O2 Sensor get old but does not trigger the "check engine" it is basically eating up the loss in fuel mileage.

JMHO

Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

If it's an OBD1 application it's usually a good idea to replace the sensor say every 100k miles or so (for a 3 or 4 wire) or 60k (for a 1 or 2 wire) as preventive maintenence because the computer will let the sensor get pretty lazy before getting a code and you can really see a loss in performance/fuel economy.

For OBDII the computer is much stricter on cross counts, time to closed loop, heater resistance, etc so a lot of time you really can literally wait till you get a check engine light before replacing.

O2 sensors really are designed to last the life of the vehicle and when the engine is properly maintained they should last 150k-200k miles no problem. However when the engine is modifed and retuned it's tough to say how long it will last. They can be damaged by rich conditions, oil contamination, leaded fuels, and silicone contamination.

If you were worried about them or wanted to do preventive maintenence I would replace around every 100k miles to be safe.

Last edited by NGKTECH; 04-29-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I knew there is no performance loss, my concern would be a loss in fuel mileage... Don't you want to run the widest gap possible without spark blow out for maximum efficiency and mileage?
Sorry to dig up the dead, but it was a good google hit for me.
I did plugs in my 98 Z28 at 120k, and I found 41-931's around .060 (I can safely assume the plugs weren't original) and replaced them with the TR5IX's with the factory gap @ .040 along with MSD wires. My fuel mileage went from 22/30 to 20-22 mpg all the time. I now have the 41-985's in at .050 with little improvement in fuel mileage.
I have come across some 41-931's and I am going to grab a set or two and put them in at .060 and hope I get my killer fuel mileage back.

Anyone else notice significant changes like this?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Same here, Had been running NGK laser platinum on my silverado 4.8 and great gas mileage. but switching to the NGK TR5IX i noticed drop in fuel mileage, and not any better performance from my old plugs... i am switching back to platinums today!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:55 PM

OK, new to site, but going to revive this issue again for hopefully everybodys and my piece of mind.
I've got a 1999 B4C Camaro with a LS1. Just got it less than 1 month ago. Like it a lot. BUT.. the plugs are a problem. I took the ORIGINAL - believe me these are the ones that came with this car, it is so stock I can't believe it - and they were... AC 41-985 or 12571164 IRIDIUM plugs. THEY WERE GAPPED AT .060 from GM and still looked pretty good even though they had 127K on them. Since GM does not make these anymore they recommend 41-101 - or 41-110 not sure - which are gapped at .040 and have a much shorter electrode length going into the cylinder. One guy posted on another site he used these and noticed backfires when he decelerated and got 4 to 5 miles per gallon less than the 41-985s. I tried NGK platinum pugs because they were gapped at .060 and had basically the same electrode length as the old ACs. Car ran rough. Took them out and put the old 41-985 plugs back in. Car ran as before, decent, but a somewhat rough idle (funny, because GM said in their 2003 bulletin the new plugs would correct this) . ANYWAY, I am thinking about trying the NGK Iridium plugs TR55IX because an earlier post said these are pre gapped from ngk at .060. But they are a number 5 heat range plug. What is the heat range of the old 41-985 AC plugs, anyone know? I know it is a cold plug from the length of the insulator to the electrode. Very long. Any comments and help appreciated.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before going crazy with the plugs. Start the car, let it idle for a few seconds then shut it off. Now check each port of exhaust manifold for heat. If you have a dead plug it is most likely not connected.

Quick Reply: *HELP* just installed ngk tr5IX plugs