Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting the engine with transmission removed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting the engine with transmission removed

Ive got the trans removed and the car has been sitting for over a month now. I want to start it to keep the engine and fluids moving around and everything ya know but It wont start. I its a 6 speed and i cant push the clutch down with the hydraulic line unplugged so i tried messing with the clutch switch. I tried unplugging it and nothing, then i took it out of the holder and plugged it back in and messed with the button but still nothing. When i turn the key it does nothing. No noises and no attempt to crank over, nothing. I would think it should still start with no transmission right? only things i can think of is maybe the computer wont let it since all of the transmission sensors are unplugged, the battery doesnt have enough power or theres some sort of wiring issue. Any thoughts on this guys?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you bolt the starter back up if you took it off?

It should start, but I won't worry about just starting it to move fluids around. My car sat for months at a time with no issues.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

i never took it off or even touched the starter. i just pulled the trans off the bellhousing, i didnt need to go over near the starter.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Teching In

the computer in M6 cars has little concern for the tranny so it shouldn't care that the trans is out. You will have to take the clutch switch plug off and short the car side with a paper clip or something like that, then it should fire.