Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question about magnaflow...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust question about magnaflow...

I want to put better sounding exhaust system on my trans am, but I don't know what to go with. I first thought about the SLP loudmouth, but most people say it is too loud. GMMG seems to be the favorite, but it is expensive. So I thought I might get the magnaflow cat-back system because it sounds pretty good and it is high flowing. But I also thought about getting just the magnaflow muffler to replace my stock muffler.
My question is, if I put just the magnflow muffler (part #14267) on in place of the stock muffler instead of the whole cat-back system, would it sound the same as the cat-back system? Should I buy just the muffler or the whole system?
I want something with a nice deep rumble sound, should I go with the magnaflow muffler or something else?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

I put on the Magnaflow catback on my car about a month ago.It sounds great. I`ve only had it out once because of our great weather,it screamed!
Old 02-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TransAm_WS6
I want to put better sounding exhaust system on my trans am, but I don't know what to go with. I first thought about the SLP loudmouth, but most people say it is too loud. GMMG seems to be the favorite, but it is expensive. So I thought I might get the magnaflow cat-back system because it sounds pretty good and it is high flowing. But I also thought about getting just the magnaflow muffler to replace my stock muffler.
My question is, if I put just the magnflow muffler (part #14267) on in place of the stock muffler instead of the whole cat-back system, would it sound the same as the cat-back system? Should I buy just the muffler or the whole system?
I want something with a nice deep rumble sound, should I go with the magnaflow muffler or something else?
I have the Magnaflow and I love it! Sounds great and the price is right!!
Old 02-25-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

will just the magnaflow muffler on stock pipes sound the same as the whole magnaflow cat-back system?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

I have just the muffler. I really like it...there isn't really any drone...and cruising at 70 down the highway its really quite. It is a quiter exhaust, but it still sounds steller by all means...there is no rasp with this muffler. Not to mention the awesome quality of it. Some people will tell you that you should buy the whole cat back because it will give you more ponies...I disagree. One, the magnaflow muffler alone flows just a good as some cat backs alone, and two, if you want better flow...take the 150 bucks you saved by going with the muffler and get an electric cut out and you'll be even farther ahead of the game.
Good luck with your decision. I found my Magnaflow Muffler at Hottexhaust.com for about 100 bucks. Shipped to my door step in less than a week.
Ed

EDIT: It should sound really similiar to the whole cat back...becuase the muffler is the main part of the exhaust system that really dictates sound. The sound on the cat back might be meniscuely throatier, but thats only because you are going from a 2 3/4 in pipe to a 3 in pipe from the cat back.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:44 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gone through a bunch and you can't beat the magnaflow for the price.

At idle it has a nice deep rumble, but it is relatively quiet (still louder then stock, but nowhere near as loud as the SLP LM)
When cruising around town you can hear it (still nice and deep) but there is no interior resonance or annoying drone.
When you step on it, all hell breaks loose and it becomes very loud. I got yelled at by my dad awhile back because he heard my car take off down the street .... When I had taken off, I was 2 1/2 - 3 blocks away from my house, where he was outside doing yardwork.
Magnaflow rocks (can't beat those hot chrome tips or the price either)
Old 02-25-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, I think I'll go with the magnaflow
Old 02-25-2004, 09:56 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

great budget catback. look in the exhaust review thread and click the link in my sig for clips