Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to hold Y pipe onto headers without welding

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're good & bad, depending on how you look at it. The U Clamps can often crush or bed the pipe, which would make getting the two pipes apart a real pain in the ***.

In your case, **** it. Since there's nothing behind the Y-Pipe anyway, you may as well just weld the Y-pipe to the headers or use the U-clamps. But, if you think you might ever continue your exhaust to the back of the car, I'd suggest the Band Clamps.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just slit the pipes, a lot of kits come that way anyways... anyone will tell you, to shrink the pipe you have to cut slits in it and then clamp it. That will keep your pipes together. Also try to come up with a hanger to put at the turndown, just to hold it up. Youre making this much more difficult than it has to be bro....
Old 06-10-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
just slit the pipes, a lot of kits come that way anyways... anyone will tell you, to shrink the pipe you have to cut slits in it and then clamp it. That will keep your pipes together. Also try to come up with a hanger to put at the turndown, just to hold it up. Youre making this much more difficult than it has to be bro....
I bought this Y pipe used and it actually already has a slit in it on both sides. It doesn't help that i have LIMITED tools and it seems everytime i need a part i have to wait a week and a half to get here...
Old 06-10-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

if its already cut and you still cant get it to stay on, just weld it up and be done with it. you can get the "U" clamps but they are hit or miss, if you dont get the pipes to overlap enough then it will just crush the inside pipe then your fucked cause the outside pipe is now a much smaller inside diameter. Have it welded up and put a hanger on the turndown. there are several spots on the underbody where you can mount one of those autozone hangers or have the muffler shop do it. Limited tools and experience mean you have to pay for someone elses. Hate to sound like an *** but thats just how its gonna be until you get tools and some know how. Believe me, if you own an Fbody long enough, you will gain both.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

I've had an F-body since 2005, i know how much of a pain they are V6, 2000 Z28 now 98 Z28
Old 06-10-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Weld the ******... show that bitch who's BOSS...
Old 06-14-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone know if NAPA or any local auto stores sell GM gaskets? I highly doubt it but i'm tired of waiting on GMparts direct slow *** shipping.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a little update regarding the "exhaust leak". I was installing my Y pipe today when i found that the spark plug wire on the passenger side (2nd one from the front) might be causing my ticking sound. When i reach around the wire, i feel a really good vibration and the sound even goes away when i pull the wire backwards a little bit. none of the other wires have this vibration. The wire looks fine visually. Could i have a bad wire or spark plug that's causing this ticking sound?

Oh and also, somehow my exhaust is now hitting the driveshaft. I hammered the Y pipe in as far as i could into the headers. Guess i gotta go take it back off and investigate.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Turns out it was a loose spark plug, i tightened it and now the ticking sound is gone. It still seems like there is a leak somewhere on the bottom but who the **** knows.

Edit: Just got inside and found ANOTHER loose plug, exhaust sounds so much smoother now, no more ticking!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

Well it looks like i'm talking to myself but i do have one more problem.

When i accelerate in first gear, especially slowly, i hear a clunking sound coming from under the car. I don't hear this sound any other time, including going over rough bumps and train tracks. It's just when accelerating. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all.

Ideas? Y pipe banging floor?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Y pipe could be banging something. Simple solution to this is usually to just stuff some steel wool between anything that the Y-pipe is close to touching.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

The pipe is still banging, is there anyway i would know if it's activating a knock sensor? It seems like my car should pull harder down low but it is hard to tell. I'm not getting any SES codes.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

Get some better band clamps!!! The stainless ones work perfect for me, tighten them with an impact and they form to the pipe. I've used them to connect two pipes that were just butted together before, no way your y-pipe would slide out then(although I would put in a hanger off the muffler for more support). You got robbed at $100, my friend got his Magnaflow installed and welded for like $60, $100 for 15minto of work is retarded.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you listened & acted on anyones advice since starting this thread or just blindly gone about your merry way doing nothing.
Your exhaust looks like crap man.
You would've been better leaving the twin system & fitted a couple of decent mufflers.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

I got better band clamps, my Y pipe isn't falling out anymore. It's just banging. What exactly looks like crap?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My apologies, i should reword that comment. It would've looked better with the twin out the back or twin pipes coming out together just in front of the back wheels either both on the left or right. Twin mufflers and i bet a lot better sound with no drone like you must be getting now.
But hey it's your car man, just my 02. cheers.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

I really want to get TSP true duals with the sweet thunders. The drone really isn't that bad. The only complaint i have is from about 2500-3500 it's pretty raspy. But it sounds nasty up top.

I bought the lap joint style clamps posted in the first page of this thread. The Y pipe has no chance of falling off. I definitely am open to peoples advice. I'd just rather keep asking questions in this thread instead of making a new thread everytime something comes up.

Quick Reply: Best way to hold Y pipe onto headers without welding