Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire.. Computers Error or Bigger Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire.. Computers Error or Bigger Problem?

well as you can see in the title i have a misfire and i have no idea how to fix it. it only has the miss at an idle, above an ideal it is strong. the guy i bought the car from took all the emmissions off the engine and told me this was the reason the check engine light was on. Its always on and blinks when i truly punch it. I had a friend hook it up to a programmer and it said the miss was in the first cylinder so i changed the plug, wire, coil and all 02 sensors but it didnt fix the problem. I have been told to buy a programmer and clear all the codes and it should run smoothly again but im not sure if this is the correct thing to do and i dont wanna spend 500 bucks on a programmer and it not fix the problem.. if you could please give me some advice i would truly appreciate it!!

Thanks, Zac
Old 06-05-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't imagine how just clearing the codes will make it run better. Are all the plug wires tight?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Injectors at rail-end positions tend to silt up first. You
can swap positions and see if the misfire moves.

All of these cars have some low rate random misfire
detects and some motor shake at idle, even new.
Note that "detect" is not necessarily a failure to fire.
Aftermarket converters really up the rate, so do cams.
What to look for is cylinder "imbalance" in the counts.
Or a single cylinder misfire code, which I guess you've
got.

Did you note down the codes before clearing? They
are usually trying to tell you something. Though what,
can be vague.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '00_Z
I can't imagine how just clearing the codes will make it run better. Are all the plug wires tight?
A blinking SES light usually means the car has entered a "limp home" status meant to protect your engine. By clearing the code it takes your car out of this mode and so for a little bit your car seems to run normally. As soon as the code is thrown again though you just re-enter this mode.

OP, you could also check the IAT sensor in your lid. If it is bad or not connected properly it'll lead to misfires. You can also have autozone, napa, or some other auto store in your area pull and clear the codes. Most due it for free.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
A blinking SES light usually means the car has entered a "limp home" status meant to protect your engine. By clearing the code it takes your car out of this mode and so for a little bit your car seems to run normally. As soon as the code is thrown again though you just re-enter this mode.
That's where I was leading, just didn't get it out in so many words.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by '00_Z
yes i made sure of this. im gonna run up to autozone tomorrow and get them to hook it up and see if its still throwing the same codes as the first time and ill see where to go from there.. thanks guys