Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone recognize this muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Does anyone recognize this muffler?

I just bought this car low mileage ('98 WS6 - M6) from a dealer and it is mostly stock as near as I can tell except for an aftermarket Wisper MS lid and the unknown muffler and Mecham oval tips. The dealer had a shop reweld the exhaust near the muffler so they painted it silver to make it look nice. This is good except the muffler is starting to rattle and really needs to be replaced.

The shop that did this told me that they couldn't identify what kind of muffler it was to replace it and that Flowmaster and Magnaflow don't even have an equivalent model. It has a 3" intake and dual 3" outlets.

Since I will eventually need to replace it, does anyone recognize it from the pics? I like the sound of it minus the occasional rattle, and yes I know I could replace the entire system and get more power, but honestly I am very happy with how it drives and sounds now and I like the oval tips. It has enough power for me and although I like it loud, this thing is about as loud as I would want to go. I think the best option for me would be to replace just the muffler with a replacement or its nearest equivalent.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone recognize this muffler?-img_20110606_175520.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

painted flowmaster? or thrush they are basically the same.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like a flowmaster cross flow to me. I dont see an added benefit to the 3 inch outlet 2.5 inch should be fine.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-53083/?rtype=10

Old 06-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Thanks, guys. That may be it and the logo is just on the top where I can't see it. I wonder if FM ever made a model with 3" outlets or if someone welded 3" pipes directy to it.

I agree it wouldn't make much difference but it would probably be easier to weld back up since these tips are 3".
Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Doesn't look like a flowmaster or a magnaflow to me, and I've owned both. Looks like an off-brand, like Thrush, dynomax or something along those lines. One of the budget muffler companies. The guy was right, magnaflow doesn't make a 3 inch in/out muffler and flowmaster likely doesn't either. I HAD a magnaflow like that, but the previous owner had the tailpipes expanded to 3 inch, thats how it got that way. Ended up selling it for $30.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Does anyone know of a comparable muffler that would easily replace this with 3" inlet and 3" outlets? Do they exist? If so, I haven't found one.

Or should I go with the Flowmaster and get my 3" pipes attached to the 2.5" outlets?

Would that be crazy or the closest quality solution?

I really need to take it to another shop and confirm the muffler is the source of the rattling, but I'm betting it is.

Last edited by Q192; 06-07-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think anyone does but if you're looking to replace it maybe you should just consider getting a complete catback. If you have the money its a good investment and a great place to start modding your car. I'm only going to assume your fairly new to this considering your post count and the nature of your question.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

No problem for them to just add you new 2 1/2 tail-pipes and you give them a bolt in muffler. However, lets look at the cost. $100 bolt in muffler, tailpipes and work maybe another $100 or 150. You are up to $200+ possibly. I'd say look into a complete cheap catback, something like a Jeg's catback. They are like $270 shipped and you could basically fit it yourself. And cheap mufflers can develop internal rattles very quickly. I had a muffler shop brand muffler develop an internal rattle in less then 5k miles.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

That appears to be a thrush muff.. If I was you I would look into getting a nice catback.. Magnaflow and hooker are good "cheap" solutions to your problem. Plus they will sound a thousand times better than what you got now
Old 06-08-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ta420nk
That appears to be a thrush muff.. If I was you I would look into getting a nice catback.. Magnaflow and hooker are good "cheap" solutions to your problem. Plus they will sound a thousand times better than what you got now
i agree its a thrush and i agree with getting a hooker catback
Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

meh keep it if it sounds ok and have a 3" electric cutout installed so you can switch back and forth between loud and nasty and through the muffler.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Based on the feedback I'll look into the catbacks. It's not in the budget this month, but it also isn't that annoying yet so I can put it off a bit.

Right now I'm still fixing all the little stuff that needs fixing. Headlight motors, lights, antenna, and chasing the occasional random electrical issue.

And yes, MSTGKLR, you are right. I am somewhat new at this. I've had several T/As over the years and enjoyed working on them and driving them, but never modified them very far from stock. I probably won't take this one very far from it either, but who knows? I just might.

Thanks for all the good suggestions, though!

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

Last edited by Q192; 06-08-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Does anyone recognize this muffler?