Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about my Boral Catback

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about my Boral Catback

So I installed my borla cat back on lastnight. Its the one that is adjustable with the various restriciton plates you can put on. When I first installed the exhaust I didnt put any plate in. The exhaust tone was pretty much straight piped sounding and really raspy. So today I put in the smallest restriction plate that I could which seemed to help a little with the raspiness. I have pacesetter lontubes with an offroad Y. My question is which restriction plate do you guys use in your borla adjustable exhaust?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Launching!

i put a qtp electric cutout in mine.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I spent months switching through plates trying to find the right balance between exhaust note, loudness and rasp.

I made my own plate and drilled a single 3/4" hole in the middle of it. I think it's just right. Almost no rasp and the car has just the right amount of rumble at idle. If you search around I believe a couple other guys have done this and it was their best solution to getting rid of the rasp without welding a resonator or bullet muffler into the I pipe.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no plate in mine. I have some extra plates i made so maybe ill try the 3/4'' hole
Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks for the reply I will have to try to make my own plate and see what that does for me.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

230/236 cam, long tubes, off road Y, and Borla. I now keep my Borla closed with the solid plate and run a DMH E cutout in the I pipe. Pretty quiet with the cutout closed (closed Borla) and all hell breaks loose opening the DMH. (louder than the Borla wide open) I love it this way.

Last edited by INMY01TA; 06-09-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Borla is basically an open cutout when zero plate is used. Exhaust flows past the muffler and out the right side of the system. This gives you the "one sided" exhaust tone most borla owners talk about. It also produces the most rasp because nothing muffles the sound.

When catalytic converters are removed from the exhaust system the rasp of the exhaust notes increases with almost any exhaust configuration.

Any other plate used in the borla system restricts flow and forces the exhaust that does not exit the hole in the plate through the muffler.

If I had the system I might be content with the plate that had the smallest hole or the plate that had the next to the smallest hole.
What is the point of having the catback if there is no plate used?

Last edited by pir7tr; 06-10-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

put a bullet on the I pipe, it should help with rasp.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Teching In

I'll be getting a e-cutout soon so I'll just be puting the solid plate in when that is done. Car is sounding pretty nice with the smallest restrictor plate in now so I'm liking it. Has a nice rumble to it on WOT. With minimal rasp.