Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using convertible switch to power QTP electic cutout

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using convertible switch to power QTP electic cutout

I was searching for some new ideas on how to mount my electric cutout switch and saw mention of using a convertible switch to operate the cutout. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any instructions on how to actually wire the switch to the cutout. Does anyone have any instructions (or better still, a schematic) that explain how to do this?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 05-23-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll do a write up tommorrow. I have diagrams and pictures.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pretend that you already have a convertible top harness installed in the car, and the plug is just sitting there without the switch connected. Take the connector and orient it so that the locking tab is on top, and the plug is facing you. With this pictured in your mind, this is the connections of that plug:

TAB
H G F E

A B C D

H = Ground
G = Empty (not used)
F = Power (12v)
E = Up (+) Cutout (open)
A = Down (-) Cutout (close)
B = Lamp (+)
C = Lamp (-)
D = Ground

There are two grounds. In order for the switch to reverse the polarities for the up/down (+/-) to open and close the cutout, connector "H" and "D" have to be jumped together to the ground on the vehicle.

Holding the actual switch in your hand, it will be upside down so the locking tab part will be oriented on top. This should help you figure out what pin is what on the switch, use pin "G" as a guide.

Since I soldered the wires directly to the tabs on the back of the switch, you have to flip the diagram over, like this.

TAB
E F G H

D C B A

H = Ground
G = Empty (not used)
F = Power (12v)
E = Up (+) Cutout (open)
A = Down (-) Cutout (close)
B = Lamp (+)
C = Lamp (-)
D = Ground

B and C are interchangable for the light, so they don't matter. This switch is a basic reverse polarity unit. When you press one direction, A becomes + and E becomes -. Press the other way and A becomes - and E becomes +. Get it?
Old 08-21-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you tie the lamp + and - together like you do to the grounds? also, where do you get the light source from?
Old 08-22-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cals400ex
do you tie the lamp + and - together like you do to the grounds? also, where do you get the light source from?

Man this is old, but I think I remember.
The lamp circuit is it's own thing to power the light bulb built into the switch. I tapped mine + to + and - to - to the lamp wires for the TCS.

Now if you don't have TCS you can tap them into the cutouts power wires since they are ignition controlled. The lamp will turn on with the key, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Now if your **** and don't want the button to light up in the daytime then you'll need to run the lamp wires to a circuit tied into the light switch like the dash lights for example.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah this is an old thread. i do not have traction control. i don't really know where to tie it into in the dash. i might go with the 12v power source....
Old 08-22-2010, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Red face

As long as the source is ignition controlled you'll be fine.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to bump but ive been wanting to do this forever but can never find a convertible switch at the junkyard ! damn

Quick Reply: Using convertible switch to power QTP electic cutout