Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has gone from True Duals to a Catback?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 169 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I ran both my dual set ups out the back on my cammed TA
Did you run cats? Whether you did or not, why did you switch to a catback?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I vote the SLP LM1 with an Borla XR1 stuck in place. Sounds great. Here is a little video of mine with LT's. It has no drone, just a tiny amount of rasp between 2400-2700 RPM and is quiet when I want it to be, and wake the dead loud at WOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78pF4EqN9M0
Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Did you run cats? Whether you did or not, why did you switch to a catback?
No cats.. I ran 3" TDs from my LTs all the way out back. Gorund clearance was an issue..
Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a full under the axle setup with borla xr1s, superloud, scraped like a **** (2" drop), but sounded awesome

switched to a magnaflow catback, much more livable, but i mainly switched for the clearance

longtubes are also a clearance/loudness factor but i wouldnt go without em
Old 06-17-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr Tran
I vote the SLP LM1 with an Borla XR1 stuck in place. Sounds great. Here is a little video of mine with LT's. It has no drone, just a tiny amount of rasp between 2400-2700 RPM and is quiet when I want it to be, and wake the dead loud at WOT.

That sounds fantastic, sir.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

I can't see switching back to a y-pipe. I have HCI with kooks headers. With the borla catback, it was way too loud, at idle and wot. Lots of drone, but no clearance issues.

Since then, I made my own x-pipe TD setup with borla xr-1s out the back. And it is 10 times better. Not loud at all at idle or part throttle. But scare the hell outa everyone around at wot. Has better clearance than catback did and made more power all through the powerband, especially up top.

I think the problem with most TD setups is that they are designed for race app's where clearance problems and dumps are not a problem. A properly constructed TD is was better imop. Good luck with it.

Ryan
Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Tran

is that the 5" round (40085) or is it one of the oval xr1's?......sounds awesome
Old 06-18-2011, 01:37 AM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Latch
That sounds fantastic, sir.
Thank you. It sounds even more awesome in person.

Originally Posted by jc98ss
is that the 5" round (40085) or is it one of the oval xr1's?......sounds awesome
Yes the 5" round one. part # 40085
Old 06-18-2011, 02:22 AM
TECH Regular

Saying I like my duals is an understatement... I love them. My ONLY complaint is that I smell like exhaust after a trip. It does rattle the interior of the car a bit, but in my humble opinion... these cars weren't meant to be refined lol. With that said, I could never go back to my Y-pipe and catback setup.

Sound is horrible cause it is a cell phone camera but you get the jist...also, pay no attention to my horrible 8.4 pass. It was street night so i had to run muh skreet tarz. SPIN SPIN SPIN . Big thanks to my bud for letting me use his vids.
http://youtu.be/eg57YKt0q8w

another vid of my FIRST time ever Autocrossing (note the mandatory instructor) also dont laugh at my helmet sticking out of the top of the car... I can't help I'm 6'4 lol
http://www.youtube.com/user/4drspeed#p/u/27/qJ22KBraauE

Sorry for whoring the car... I love it to much lol

Last edited by Ehatcher; 06-18-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from true duals to a catback and I'm glad I did. I had a 2.5" setup, no cats with an x-pipe and 1 chambers dumped at the rear axle. Absolutely nothing beats the sound at wide open throttle. I loved it. However, at hwy speeds and regular cruising through town, the drone was terrible, and everything was rattling inside the car. Not to mention every time I got out of the car, I smelled like fuel. I recently changed it back to a catback and had a 3" catted y made with a flowmaster merge, and I put a gmmg on it with a cme. I don't have drone anymore, its loud when I want it to be and quiet when I'm driving normally.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Goes to show what a well setup TD system will do. Im going FI so I am doing a single exhaust but NA I will never have a catback setup again. On my old LT setup I had a 228/236 on a 110 with an ORY, merge and GMMG. Absolutely horrible for DDing, way too loud. SOld the GMMG/merge and spent $350 on top of that doing TDs the right way using cats, 2 Big Borla Pro XS mufflers and running them out the back. DDed around So Cal with no worries or issues and could go through drive thrus it was that quiet. Also the TDs killed the catback in the midrange

Last edited by hitmanws6; 06-21-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lemons12
BTW, I would use a flowmaster merge, way better sound and flows better.
I Agree 100,000,000% Ive had FL merge on my old B&B catback set up. Sounded like *** (rasp) before I had a custom Ypip+FL merge installed. Flowmaster merge is a must have on any ypipe setup.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i just found out that with the 2.5 Sweet Thunders, the inside diameter pipe of each muffler is 2.25.....i wonder if that could've caused my torque to be low.....i think for now i'm going to hold off on the catback.......i ordered a pair of 3.5 powerstick mufflers to go behind the x-pipe, those should definitely have a different tone.....and i'm going to weld in a couple of magnaflow spun cats (59959) to kill the fuel smell
Old 06-21-2011, 03:14 AM
12 Second Club

Personally went from Borla to Bassani TD back to Borla and now going to GMMG. Had those with and without LTs (except GMMG since I havent put it on yet) and Ive loved every single one of them. Its nice to change things up now and then. Theyve all had a great sound and their own unique tone that always gets attention. And its not like you cant go back if you miss it like I did w/ the Borla
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Have a question about power "Potential" when going from a true dual setup to a cat back setup. I've got an APS twin kit which is currently dumped right after the turbo downpipes and although it sounds great, its a bit too loud for any type of city driving. I've got emissions coming up early next year so i've been looking at getting my exhaust setup in order to try and pass w/ the turbos on but i worry about losing power potential w/ a catback setup. I've always wanted a true dual setup but i have a LoudMouth (LM1) sitting in storage which would be my cheapest route. How bad will this exhaust hurt my current power/tq #'s (606/639)?

The more and more i think about it i've been thinking of having a shop (if i can find one willing) to fab up some easily removable cats (using my stock cats and some vbands) and an intermediate pipe with cutouts for when i want to take the car to the track or want to be loud.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from a cb to true duals and would never go back, I may re-do my duals and route them down the passanger side and over the axle like I just built for a buddy of mine instead of my under the axle set up but I wouldnt go back to a cb. I have seen guys with worse ground clearance with their ory then I have with my duals. Have you considered making or having someone extend your duals out the back either over or under the axle?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Yea but in my eyes its either go cheap with what i have or save up and go all out (kooks true duals are pricey but have definitely caught my eye). Thing is there are other pricey parts i'd rather spend my money on than exhaust right now (bits for the twin turbo kit, clutch, rear end and wheels).
Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting tidbit -- thanks for sharing -- I assume you mean the pipe walls, not the flanges? I also read that Kooks have a bit more shine than the ARH -- is that because Kooks buffs them up more?

Originally Posted by tillery
Switched from Kooks 1 7/8 headers to ARH of the same size. ARHs are thicker so under hood valve train noises quieted down some. I like the sound of all. Just got to hard to get car inspection with duals dumped.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

You guys need to clarify -- there are TWO Borla catbacks -- one adjustable, one not -- different sounds.

http://www.borla.com/products/produc...rod_sku=140028
&
http://www.borla.com/products/produc...prod_sku=14780

Hmm, I just noticed Borla also sells a Y-Pipe -- wonder if that's for headers or stock manifolds? They have no photo -- anyone have a pic?:

http://www.borla.com/products/produc...prod_sku=60059

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
I can't see switching back to a y-pipe. I have HCI with kooks headers. With the borla catback, it was way too loud, at idle and wot. Lots of drone, but no clearance issues.

Since then, I made my own x-pipe TD setup with borla xr-1s out the back. And it is 10 times better. Not loud at all at idle or part throttle. But scare the hell outa everyone around at wot. Has better clearance than catback did and made more power all through the powerband, especially up top.

I think the problem with most TD setups is that they are designed for race app's where clearance problems and dumps are not a problem. A properly constructed TD is was better imop. Good luck with it.

Ryan
Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

my borla catback was the adjustable one. It was nice, but really raspy. Then with headers and H/C/I became way too loud. The borla xr1's that I used are only the 12" long model, but quiet it down perfectly to drive on the street. Yet the sound at wot is awesome.

Quick Reply: Who has gone from True Duals to a Catback?????