Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOTP with lid and descreened MAF?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default SOTP with lid and descreened MAF?!

Is it just me or is there a deffinate seat of the pant feeling after a lid swap " from factory" and descreened MAF??! I swear to you my but dyno says "Wooohooaaahhoh!!". Not sure what I would have gained but I swear it feels like a 15 hp difference. I know that seems high but after remOving the factory lid I noticed it was damaged and probably causing restriction....

Now current mods, slp lid, descreened maf, Ngk tr-55, granatelli solid core wires..

Next mods are LM2 and slp Y pipe.

I know I'm going overboard with slp stuff but it seems to keep it's value decently so if I WANs change it up later I should be able to recoup some cash..
Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've seen, a descreened MAF won't give you any noticeable gains. You just run a higher risk of something damaging your MAF sensor or getting inside your engine. I would say a lid does help, but most of it is cognitive.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm how would it get past my filter? If it can get past the filter I don't see the screen stopping it. Wix paper filter. It sits in there TIGHT with a big rubber gasket... As far as air filters, it's my new favorite..

Slp says if you descreen their MAF it makes a gain.. I assumed descreen maf was what people consider " free mods"
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Launching!

How stuff gets past the air filter, I don't know. I'd be more than happy to go take a pic of a little pebble that managed to lodge itself in to my MAF screen though if you don't believe me. :p
Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol....
Old 06-21-2011, 10:05 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I had some driveability "issues" with my engine. Under part throttle acceleration, it would seem to bog a bit then pick up again. Other mods and improvements helped a bit but never really cured the problem.

Switching back to a screened MAF finally fully cured the problem.

Removing the screen from the MAF is NOT a good idea. The teeny-tiny improvement in total airflow does not justify the loss in how well the engine runs.

The screen makes sure the air blows straight through the MAF sensor at all airflow velocities. Removing the screen allows the air to move in random directions depending on speed.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well so far I've had no issues with it being descreened. Isn't there an upgraded screen you can get ?? I'd be interested in that. Or I could put my old one back in even though it now has a small hole in it, if it starts acting up...

@ Paul , maybe it was just a bad MAF from the start? So far no problems but I'll keep everyone posted if that changes.. Anyone else feel a SOTP difference in just a lid after you !baffles and go with the slp or FTP?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first mod was a lid and there was a difference. But not like a holy crap my car is so fast now. You do gain hP from it
Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

baalic, I installed a screen section onto the same MAF section that was in my car. Same MAF without then with screen.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AwsmGy
How stuff gets past the air filter, I don't know. I'd be more than happy to go take a pic of a little pebble that managed to lodge itself in to my MAF screen though if you don't believe me. :p
Yeah, I once checked my MAF and founds long peices of grass and bits of leaves stuck to it. Who knows how that crap gets in there.

Lucky it stopped that pebble!!

Leaves and grass are one thing, but that pebble would have been a baaad day for your motor!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ohhh.. Well isn't that a peculiar problem.. I know I've seen a bigger honeycomb screen for the Maf, I maybe get one of those if I start havIng troubles.. Anyone else have problems with a descreened MAF??

Anyone at all have any input on the MAF?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Launching!

when i drove my car for awhile and i got tired of it being bone stock i started dickin with what free stuff i could so i chopped off the stock muffler and put on on a magnaflow race muffler and i descreened the maf and didnt have a single problem with it for the entire time i drove on it like i think something did however come up when tuning my car but im not sure as i wasnt there when it was happening but i said **** it go speed density and they just tuned it SD and ive never been happier. Andrei at Abel Racing here in OKC is a tuning badass and tuned it SD for me and no problems here daily driving it a year later.

in all honesty its not really a big deal but i do have a bit to add if you are gonna stock with the descreened maf thing make the intake flow as straight as possible ditch that accordion crap and go smooth bellows for the whole thing you want the airflow as smooth and the least turbulent you can get it. i think thats why mine never gave me any problems.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did plan on a smooth bellow. What's that fernco part #? Somone lol!!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Launching!

go to lowes and find you some rubber piping or something thats what a few guys have done around here. when taking out my maf a 3.5 by 3.5 piece of pipe fit perfectly between the 2 bellows in the k&n fipk kit thing that i have if that helps
Old 06-23-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, I'll be hitting the hardware store soon then
Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

I thought the same thing when I put on the SLP lid and smooth coupler on my 2000 A4... Wow, different car.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Teching In

This is my Trans Am's MAF.. Don't know how this happened. I would never remove my screen.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Launching!

^^^^^ that is wicked.

its personal choice i pulled my maf out and there was nothing on it at all. if you feel comfortable with it thens tick with it
Old 06-24-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya my screen was 100% clean when pulled... I'm using a Wix filter and that thing seals so dang tight and has a large gasket on it. I honestly see nothing getting through it.... I will continue to monitor it..

My wife drove it the other day and decided "whatever you did I like it". So she felt what I guess was throttle response from how she described it... She knows little to nothing about cars but knows what an ls1/6/2/3/7/9 is lol
Old 06-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Launching!

yea my girl knows the ls series like the back of her hand lol but yes honestly its a personal call i no longer have a maf at all and havent for a year now so the screen thing hasnt applied to me for awhile and the motors got 193k on it and the occasional nitrous poke and is still buzzin away

Quick Reply: SOTP with lid and descreened MAF?!