Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOTP with lid and descreened MAF?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 226 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 00_Trans_Am
This is my Trans Am's MAF.. Don't know how this happened. I would never remove my screen.
Me thinks your filter wasn't doing its job. Was your lid clamped on properly? Sometimes the metal buckle pops back up and doesn't hold the lid down properly. I had to "massage" the curvature in my buckle so that it stayed down properly when snapped. Also check your bellows to be sure it doesn't have a big hole in it and it is properly clamped to the MAF and lid. A properly installed filter would never let that crap through.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like descreening the MAF due to a poorer signal that the MAF receives. I, however, put in a different screen. The honeycomb "tunnels" are a bit longer, for more opportunity to straighten out the air, and allowing more airflow. Look at the mounting depth inside the MAF and the size of the honeycombs. $10 screen
Old 09-01-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I first got my TA, I went to do a factory lid swap and full tune up. When I removed the factory lid assy, I found parts of a bird... a curled up leg/foot with bone, two big *** feathers and some other ****... filter was in place which made it even more odd.... MAF had a screen up until then... after the Whisper lid, smooth bellow and some B12, it was a totally different car...
Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I don't really see what people are debating here. If you descreen the MAF then there is nothing to catch stuff that sneaks through the air filter. Anything that would've gotten caught in the screen just passes through and goes into your engine if the screen isn't there. Your car isn't gonna blow up because a pebble gets in the engine so how would you notice the difference? My argument is that you can't prove that descreening the MAF is ok for the engine cause how do you prove if something slips through? Doesn't seem like descreening is worth it to me.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

I de-screened my MAF in 1999 and have had no problems.
I also noticed no performance gains. My quarter mile times were the same, didn't feel different either.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

00_trans your have serious fitment issues. the only way dirt get to maf is from unsealed lid on lower box other that that everything should get filtered. but i would never descrean my maf because 99% of lids leak better safe than sorry or should i say better than 0.01 hp?
Old 09-05-2011, 02:18 AM
12 Second Club

My 99 Z28 had a Z06 85mm Maf with a pigtail connector and no screen it ran great with no problems.

I would say there is no real performance advantage felt after running a descreened MAF
Old 09-11-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Z28camaroman
My 99 Z28 had a Z06 85mm Maf with a pigtail connector and no screen it ran great with no problems.

I would say there is no real performance advantage felt after running a descreened MAF
I think it was motly due to the lid obviously..
Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Im digging up this thread to share some personal experience with this issue. I recently made 392whp after my cam install and tune. After some pulls, my tuner said the motor was getting choked up top, so he suggested throwing in a K&N and descreening the MAF. So about 15 min later, it was rolling again, and it made 398. He said it was then leaning out due to the increased airflow, so he added some more fuel and it made 400whp.

In all the times I checked and cleaned my MAF, it was clear of debris. Just make sure you have a good seal around the lid and a good filter, and you should be fine. If you're worried about straightening airflow or whatever, then that's your opinion. Just wanted to share.

So, in my case (full bolton +cam), a K&N and descreened MAF was worth 8 rwhp.

Quick Reply: SOTP with lid and descreened MAF?!